Average Oil temperature 1.6 bluemotion

Liam Lewis

I'm currently getting if I've been driving a while on the motorway I'm getting to the high heights of 110 degrees, now is this normal cause a lot of people are saying less

G0llings

Mine normally sits between 88-92 °C, apart from when it's doing a DPF regen when it can go as high as 103°C. It did once go up to about 114°, but that was after driving up a very long and steep hill.

Liam Lewis

But I thought it has to go to over 100 degrees so that it could heat out the condensation and how would you know if it's doing a regen

G0llings

In my car if I'm driving around town, the idle is high - just under 1k rpm, uneven and the stop start doesn't kick in, or as I said if I'm on the motorway and the regen happens then, the oil temp rises to about 103 for 15 minutes or so before dropping back down to around 90.

The other way to tell is to hold your hand close to the exhaust. If it's mid-cycle the gasses will be extremely hot so be careful.

Liam Lewis

Mine just stays there never drops and I've just had the oil changed aswell! I don't know if it's anything to be concerned about because it's not particularly high

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't check my oil temperature unless I'm on a motorway and it normally 90°C. It will go up to 100°C if I'm cruising at 80mph.

Theotherjohn

Once warmed up mine generally sits in the high 90s, occasionally 100. Most I've ever seen is 101 & that only once. I generally leave the display between the dials set at oil temperature.

Stacy one

Hi my oil temp was sitting at 97 or 98 if I chance the oil and oil filter will it go back to normal any information would be appreciated thank you

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
If the engine has a water cooled oil cooler, the temperature should be roughly around 100 degrees centigrade, don't over analyse gauge readings and modern oils can happily run at 130.