b reg scirrocco gti im toying with a engine change to vr6 ?

carlosfandagos

Hi guys
I got a old b reg scirocco that has never run right due to fuel and electrics although i may have just sorted it out finally and then today in a attempt to fix my vr6 L reg the floor gave way on both sides off the inside sill and it has a coupleof other isues so im debating doing a engine transplant sticking the vr6 lump and box straight into the scirroco .
couple of queries will it go? and if i do it will it devalue the scirocco ?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Re: b reg scirrocco gti im toying with a engine change to vr

The Golf 3 engine will fit into a Golf 2 engine bay quite easily due to the similarities with the floor pan, in fact if you use a Corrado VR6 subframe and front cross member it is virtually bolt it. However the Scirocco is based on the Golf 1 floorpan and fitting a VR6 into this platform is a massive undertaking requiring significant fabrication work making an engine and transmission mounting system.

carlosfandagos

well it sounds like just getting the engine and box mounted sounds a interesting job do u know if any of the mounts will bolt in if i was using the scirocco mounts on the vr6 lump ?? welding and fabrication isnt to much of an issue nor is paint as i have a workshop and spraybooth at my disposal . it just seams the right thing to do as i love my scirocco and love the vr6 engine too :)

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member

No off the shelf mounts will bolt in as far as I know but I do vaguely recall that someone did make a kit to allow a VR6 to be fitted in a Mk1 engine bay. Google “vr6 into a mk1 golf” and you get plenty of information.

carlosfandagos

Many thanks had a good look there is a fair amount to do to do the transplant not out side of my capabilities just not sure i have the time to do such a overhaul and then where do u stop if your doing something that in depth then would have to top to toe mint the whole thing might rethink after finishing a couple of big projects off we got in the garage and in the mean time enjoy the golf :)

carlosfandagos

Decided not to bother for the moment as i have to many cars in bits at work we need to get the 59 bentley restored and the celica pimp my ride project finished before starting any more projects so for the mo ill just fix the golf up and the scirocco and then maybe at a later date ill do the transplant :)