best tyres for golf

Gazwould

Top tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , Dunlop Sport RT2 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 .

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Uniroyal Rain Sport 3, made by Continental and simply THE most brilliant tyre I have ever used, no mater that it is at a mid range price, with excellent longevity. I hope the upcoming replacement currently in development is as much of a leap as the RS2 was to the RS3.

Gazwould

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Vs
Uniroyal Rainsport 3.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4.htm

2017 Tyre Tests

1st: 2017 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test (245/45 R18 )

1st: 2017 Sport Auto UHP and Track Day Test (225/40 R18 )

1st: 2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test (245/40 R18 )

1st: 2017 EVO Summer Tyre Test (225/40 R18 )

2016 Tyre Tests

1st: 2016 Auto Express Summer Tyre Test (225/40 R18 )

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-3.htm

Longevity?? Wear 63% !

2017 Tyre Tests

2nd: 2017 Mid Range Tyre Test (205/55 R16)
6th: 2017 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Shootout (225/50 R17)
10th: 2017 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test (225/50 R17)
2016 Tyre Tests

4th: 2016 Market Overview - Braking Test (205/55 R16)
9th: 2016 ADAC Tyre Test - 225/45 R17 (225/45 R17)
11th: 2016 AutoBild Summer Tyre Test (205/55 R16)
2015 Tyre Tests

5th: 2015 AMS Performance Tyre Test (225/50 R17)
2014 Tyre Tests

2nd: 2014 AMS Summer Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 (205/55 R16)

Ladies & Gentlemen , it's been declared a no contest .

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Ladies & Gentlemen , it's been declared a no contest .

and roughly £140 more for a car set. We have an Octavia in today with the Pilot Sport 2 on, 4 years old and good tread but the sidewalls and inter tread areas are cracking excessively.

When I buy tyres these days I always go for the reinforced version as the rolling resistance is much lower and the comfort trade off minimal.

HHGTTG

What's the best tyres for the golf these days.
Thinking of Michelin , Dunlop or Goodyear

Best with respect to what? I have posed similar questions on forum including this one (I think) but my question was related to the best tyre for running quietness and really there's no answer as it is so subjective apart from, perhaps, the best road holding in adverse conditions, in which case Google that question.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The noise levels are highly variable, for instance the rain Sport 2 needed to have ear plugs included and the Rain Sport 3 is extremely quiet. Chinese tyres tend to be extremely noisy.

Gazwould

and roughly £140 more for a car set. We have an Octavia in today with the Pilot Sport 2 on, 4 years old and good tread but the sidewalls and inter tread areas are cracking excessively.

When I buy tyres these days I always go for the reinforced version as the rolling resistance is much lower and the comfort trade off minimal.

Pilot Sport 2 , it's an 8 year old design tyre !

My Chinese tyres are more quiet than previous Dunlop Sport Maxx TT .

XL always the way forward .

Bug bat

My wife has a Mk7 Golf SE 1.6 TDI which is horrible for road noise.

It's currently still got the standard fit Michelin (205/55/16) tyres on it - is there a better alternative for reducing noise levels? Especially from the rear of the car. It seems as if VW did a lot of cost cutting with respect to internal noise deadening in and around the boot area, and it really is an awfully noisy car.

Bug bat

The problem is weight, sound deadening is heavy and every gram added adds Co2.

Wrong way round Crasher. The problem is noise.
If you have to pay a little more vehicle excise duty, because of CO2 emissions, it would be a small price to pay to at least be able to hear yourself think in it.

So much for VW quality - it's not as sacrosanct as VW would have you believe, eh?

SpikyBob

Yes Gaz, for a sports orientated drive such as my GTI Michelin PS4 maybe, or Goodyear F1 asymmetric 5 to save a little cash.
However we’re talking 17 inches here so maybe something with half the power output - where the ride quality will be possibly more important than handling so imho a non sport touring tyre Bridgestone turanza? Reasonably priced good wear and sporty enough....? Just never, never, “budget” brands. A random punt would be considering a good all season tyre such as Michelin Cross Climate - a fantastic all rounder and great in the occasional snowy winter spells we can have.

Gazwould

Well I successfully dodged over two oncoming lanes using all the road at 50mph+ going down hill as an absolute bafoon decided to do a U turn up the hill from a layby right in front of me .

Chinese budget rubber..

SpikyBob

Sorry forgot to add imho to my posts....
What I was saying in my opinion if you’re going to be driving a £20k motor on today’s roads with the buffoons Gaz mentions out and about, its seems pointless to me putting the cheapest tyres on your vehicle. It’s the only contact with the road surface and apart from noise, stopping power and wet/cold weather behaviour is paramount to me. Stopping ten percent sooner with a non budget tyre can mean the difference between impact and a body shop visit. I’m not one for gambling however that’s everyone’s choice also!
The Golf will be having Goodyear F1 asymmetric 5 and later this year the Polo will be having Michelin X Climate on the front....
These threads are just like the “supermarket fuel or main brand”, “unleaded or super unleaded”, “cheap oil or costly synthetic” - you pays yer money takes yer choice!

Gazwould

Goodyear asymmetric 5 is what I'd consider on the Merc , it's got the same Chinese budgets on the rear as the life saver 3B6 without issue .

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Wrong way round Crasher. The problem is noise.
If you have to pay a little more vehicle excise duty, because of CO2 emissions, it would be a small price to pay to at least be able to hear yourself think in it.

So much for VW quality - it's not as sacrosanct as VW would have you believe, eh?

Why the wrong way around? Sound deadening adds considerable weight which has to be moved around and that uses fuel which produces Co2 and it is nothing to do with VED in the UK, it is draconian EU rules on Co2. Car manufacturers are fighting for every fraction of a gram reducing Co2 because the EU is going to hit them with huge fines very soon which could run into billions https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en