BLAST! Wing mirror replacement...

dj_ek

Hi all,

Yesterday I did something very stupid - next to my parking space at home is a finest Devonshire stone wall, it’s a narrow road so you have to park right up against it - yesterday I was careless! See pictures, I’ve included the the part number of / sticker attached to the cracked coloured coded upper casing (which was already cracked I noticed when washing the car a couple of months back - and therefore I suspect has been previously whacked and damaged).

Two questions:

1) I need to replace the coloured upper shell, the indicator lense and possibly the black lower shell (a mounting lug has broken on it) - how easy is it to do / anything to watch out for?

2) I would like to source good used parts, however this mode of Touran is fairly unusual (the local Lookers VW Dealer in Exeter told me he hasn’t sold one in 18 months) - Any suggestion of a breaker who might have a stock of cars in Caribbean Blue would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, how do you rotate pictures you’re pasting direct from the photo storage on your iPhone? They’re the right way up when I view them in my photo library so strange they don’t appear so here.

93901904-31C3-4F96-8E53-1D57EAF00924.jpeg C6788F5E-B13D-4DB4-A63F-F949A0E14330.jpeg 67AE3C64-3647-4C36-8644-F6344CD5EFBA.jpeg 2DC404EA-902A-4A96-BA0A-D473F7A37BB6.jpeg 665FC8DB-AD14-4766-A058-9AE92C0F070E.jpeg C3CAD547-A500-4F65-B35B-71148D4EFC82.jpeg

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You need cover 5K0 857 537 GRU which comes in primer, £66.88, turn signal unit 5K0 949 101 £43.81 and a rattle can set which is around £18 bit I can only see Deep Ocean blue, Acapulco Blue, Pacific Blue or Indian Blue so the parts department would need to colour code off the sticker in the service book/boot to order the paint spray set.

dj_ek

You need cover 5K0 857 537 GRU which comes in primer, £66.88, turn signal unit 5K0 949 101 £43.81 and a rattle can set which is around £18 bit I can only see Deep Ocean blue, Acapulco Blue, Pacific Blue or Indian Blue so the parts department would need to colour code off the sticker in the service book/boot to order the paint spray set.
Hmm maybe it would be easier and cheaper to source a complete used unit in the correct colour - Would that be so?

Is there anything daft needed like coding the replacement components in VCDS?

dj_ek

Update on this, I managed to assemble it all back together to the point where I can drive the car with reasonable surety the cover won’t fall off etc. - but I’ve bought some 3M VHB 3mm wide double sided tape that should hold the cover on / everything in place for now.

Yes it’s a bodge but it will do until I can find a complete good used mirror from another Caribbean blue Touran that I can carefully dismantle and swap bits over from at my leisure as I don’t trust my painting skills on a metallic finish such as this - so that’d mean paying a professional to do it.

There’s one on eBay for 150 quid but while that’s undoubtedly cheaper than buying a whole unit new from VW, considering Steve your assessment of what’s needed above it doesn’t make sense.

dj_ek

Hi @Crasher - just checking the part number(a) quoted above as they seem to tally with the Golf mk6, I think I need Golf mk7 parts?

Also I’ve seen a set of aftermarket dynamic indicators for the wing mirrors as a tempting option over replacing with standard. Obviously Chinese made which grates, but not such an issue if good quality. Any reason I should put this thought to the back of my mind and go for OE?