Bmm engine good or bad

Caddy mad

Hi all is it just the case that the bmm engine is a problem engine.?
mine has blown up and I've just payed a £1000 for a second hand one,I'm just a bit worried that it might happen again so any advice would be very appreciated .or should I just sell the van,I love the caddy so what can I do.?or am I just worrying over nothing.?
thanks all :???:

S

Splitty13

Service it right (not the silly extended intervals we now have) with the correct oils and look after it and it should look after you

Why did it fail?

£1000 for a second hand one? wow, I hope it was overhauled and comes with a warranty for that price

Caddy mad

Hi it was the cheapest one I could find,and it was just removed from a salvage car,van I bought the van with a blown engine it's seized solid.
but I'm starting to think I've done the wrong thing.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
The BMM is fitted to a few models:

05/05-06/08 AUDI A3
11/05-11/10 ALTEA
09/07-08/10 CADDY
11/07-08/10 CADDY MAXI
11/07-08/10 CADDY MAXI KOMBI
11/07-08/10 CADDY MAXI KASTENWAGEN
05/06-05/08 EOS
07/09-07/13 GOLF
05/07-05/11 GOLF PLUS CROSS
10/05- JETTA
10/05-10/10 LEON
11/05-10/08 OCTAVIA
11/05-05/09 TOLEDO
12/05-05/10 TOURAN

VAG Engine & Transmission Codes

Caddy mad

The engine that arrived was a load of rubbish dodgy out fit of eBay.
So please has anyone got any idea were I can get one from.
Many thanks in advance.

S

Splitty13

Ebay is a big no no, unless you can go and see it before you buy it avoid, its full of scum

Try a local factors who can use Ivor Searle and other engine remanufacturers or google engine suppliers near yo0u and see what you get

just make sure its a rebuilt unit with a warranty

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
A BMM is a BMM and a BKD a BKD, yes of course you can hack and change to make this fit/work, I could hack an RB211 in the back and it would work, but it needs to work correctly, there is no getting away from the FACT that the BMM and BKD uses different cylinder heads and bottom ends. These engines only fail when abused so look back to see what might have caused this. If treated well with oil and cam belt on schedule, 300K plus is easy and still going.

S

Splitty13

That would be why there are different engine codes - BECAUSE THE ENGINES ARE DIFFERENT

Yes it may be relatively easy to make it fit or maybe not but they are different

Probably the longlife servicing or lack of any servicing thats killed it or cheap oil, everyone wants to do it cheap then moans when it breaks and never wonders why

Got to love the motor trade