Buying my First Golf Mk7

Autonewz66

Hello everybody,
I've been searching the market for a used Golf mk7.

Personally most of time I use the car on daily basis (home-work-gym) a total of 30-40km per day. But I have to mention that I live in Kosovo (a country with heavy traffic). So normally I drive around 10,000- 12,000 km a year.
Diesel here is horrible low quality, so I had experiences with previous diesel engines and many failures & repairs. So my focus moved on petrol engines. (And i like the noise of "silent" petrol engines:D)

I found few Golf mk7 2014-2016 (manual transmission), for the same price range.

1.4 TSI (one 122hp, 125hp) around 100-110k km

And 1.6 TDI (105-110hp) around 110-115k km

Wich engine would be better? And more reliable, since I plan for keeping the car atleast for 3-4 years. And maximum I would add 40k km on the car.

thank you!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
To be absolutely honest both are awful engines and can generate huge repair bills, the only one I would recommend is what I said to my neighbour/customer about four years ago now, 2L GTI and regular oil changes.

markdis

I hope its alright to write in this topic, didnt find anything similar.
I am looking forward to buy my first car, used one. What are the general recommendations on finding a good one. I am making a list of things which are important to check, would be great if someone can add/correct something:
1) how many previous owners (less is better)
2) mileage (what is the top, what number would you consider "still ok" and when "nope, thats too much" starts?
3) car history by checking VIN number. Is it okay to do it online (do you trust this website for example? does someone has experience checking it online? ) or do you have to go to the police office (somewhere else?)
4) general appearance from outside and inside.

Last edited:

scottatkins

I hope its alright to write in this topic, didnt find anything similar.
I am looking forward to buy my first car, used one. What are the general recommendations on finding a good one. I am making a list of things which are important to check, would be great if someone can add/correct something:
1) how many previous owners (less is better)
2) mileage (what is the top, what number would you consider "still ok" and when "nope, thats too much" starts?
3) car history by checking VIN number. Is it okay to do it online (do you trust this website for example? does someone has experience checking it online? ) or do you have to go to the police office (somewhere else?)
4) general appearance from outside and inside.

I accidentally came across your comment. And as for advice, it would be better to test drive the car for initial impressions. also, I recently bought a used car and the first thing i did was to check its full history.I still have a spare code from the bulk pack i bought from rapidcarcheck.co.uk. You can PM me if you want it?