Caddy 2KA A42 BLS Motor

TravisBickle

Recently bought this 07 Caddy to replace my mk2 but there is a problem with the interior lighting. When I open the front door the front and rear lights come on but when I open the rear door the rear lights come on, sometimes, other times they just dont come on.

I just want the interior lights to work the same as my mk2, open front door and front light comes on. Open rear door and rear light comes on.

Took it to my mechanic and he tells me that the ecu is recognising when the doors are open and closed. He said it could be a coding issue. Problem is that his laptop with the VAG software on has given up the ghost and he says he needs the verification code to be able to re-code my lighting.

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking if anyone can help out with the verification code for my van.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You need to find someone with working registered VCDS, the first step is to watch the status of the door switches as the door control unit sees them and that the Body Control Module is seeing them as well. If the BCM or door control unit are incorrectly coded (this can happen randomly for not good reason) then if a login code is required, usually a registered copy of up to date VCDS will show the code(s) in a pop up box. From memory, no login code is required.

TravisBickle

His VCDS is registered it's just that the laptop it is installed on isn't working. He did manage to check the status of the door switches as the door control sees them and there were no problems there, the unit knows when the doors are open or closed. He said if he knew the variant code he could re-code my lights with his other laptop.

Just realised I asked for verification code in the OP, my bad, it's the variant code to allow him access to code the lighting.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
There is no such thing as a "variant" code for the convenience system, there is a "long coding" value which is matched to the cars spec.

TravisBickle

There is another issue with this van, I installed a 1 din stereo but there doesn't appear to be an ignition live. I can only find a constant live and a live when the ignition is is the running position. Any ideas how I can have the stereo on when the ignition is in the first position? Thanks

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
That is not a problem, it is the design; this is a CAN BUS digitally controlled car (there’re are three levels drive train, convenience and infotainment which work at two speeds, high and low controlled by a CAN BUS controller) and to have a proper ignition live function you have to install a CAN BUS adapter which attaches to the power, earth and CAN BUS wires at the radio (this is the “infotainment bus”) which provides all sorts of signals such as lights, reversing and ignition BUT these are all very low current capacity outputs purely for use at switching level. One additional problem you are likely to encounter is that the CAN BUS contller of cars produced before 2008 do not like anything other than the original head unit and refuses to shut down with the ignition off which drains the battery overnight so a later CAN BUS controller has to be sourced, fitted and programmed.

TravisBickle

Regarding the OP, I have installed the VCDS software onto my laptop for my mechanic to use. I will post back here with the results of the attempted interior light re-code. FWiW, the other day I noticed that the rear lights come on when the back door is opened but if I close the rear door, wait, then open it again, the lights will not come on. However, if I open and close the front door the rear lights will come on when I open the rear door.

A new CAN BUS adapter is on it's way to me, I'll pop that in and fingers crossed I won't need a new CAN BUS controller.

Thank you for your patience and time, much appreciated.