Cambelt

blunder

Hello, I have a 2015 Polo 1.2 Bluemotion having done only 19,000 miles. The car is looked after and garaged - if that makes any difference! I am looking to get the car serviced in early January and based on the guidance I have found on the Internet, it looks like I should be looking to have the cambelt changed. I know cambelts have an age or max mileage but it feels over cautious (& expensive) to change now.

It would be good to get some opinions please.

VeeDub

I asked a similar question for my 2016 Polo 1.4 with only 17,000 miles covered a month or so ago! And like you, I didn’t think it was very good VFM! But the official advice is to change it every 4 years regardless of mileage. Mine is booked in for this Wednesday, so break out the wallet and weep with me, as they say misery loves company. 😉

RUM4MO

The official VW AG statement in the workshop manual is:- this EA211 version of engine does have a "for life" cam belt so it is not a scheduled service item. What is said is that at a certain age the cambelt should get examined along its entire length and a replacement kit of bits fitted when this examination reveals defects/break up sort of thing on the belt. Now what I've written there is not taken as being verbatim but very close to it.

So, just how long it is safe to leave it in years and miles probably remains to be seen after lots of information has been gathered, I am on the opinion that I'll leave it until roughly 7.5 years and with my wife's car that should mean 50,000 miles max before I submit it to my local proper VW Group Indie for that task, I'll add to that way of thinking that I'd expect that we will replace that car before it is 15 years old or when it is 15 years old.

I think that all VW Group marque main dealers should be recommending it gets replaced at 5 years or XYZ,000 miles, and certainly not at the 4 years point - that was only true for some engines built maybe before 2007ish, after that they changed the period to 5 years - but that was for the original versions of cambelts that were not listed as being "for life" - by the way, with any cars we have owned with 4 or 5 years recommendations, I've always stuck with that advice - ie the old 1.4 16V versions.

blunder

The official VW AG statement in the workshop manual is:- this EA211 version of engine does have a "for life" cam belt so it is not a scheduled service item. What is said is that at a certain age the cambelt should get examined along its entire length and a replacement kit of bits fitted when this examination reveals defects/break up sort of thing on the belt. Now what I've written there is not taken as being verbatim but very close to it.

So, just how long it is safe to leave it in years and miles probably remains to be seen after lots of information has been gathered, I am on the opinion that I'll leave it until roughly 7.5 years and with my wife's car that should mean 50,000 miles max before I submit it to my local proper VW Group Indie for that task, I'll add to that way of thinking that I'd expect that we will replace that car before it is 15 years old or when it is 15 years old.

I think that all VW Group marque main dealers should be recommending it gets replaced at 5 years or XYZ,000 miles, and certainly not at the 4 years point - that was only true for some engines built maybe before 2007ish, after that they changed the period to 5 years - but that was for the original versions of cambelts that were not listed as being "for life" - by the way, with any cars we have owned with 4 or 5 years recommendations, I've always stuck with that advice - ie the old 1.4 16V versions.
Thank you - I have the CJZC engine; do you know if this has a "for life" cam belt too please?

RUM4MO

Yes, my wife's car has the CJZD which is just the 110PS version of your 90PS engine.

Edit:- my wife's Polo 1.2TSI is an August 2015 first reg'd car, build date was early July 2015, so if I stick with my plan I'll be getting that belt replaced after the winter of 2022/2023 - or later.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
This VAG UK thing of fours years is wrong, at the earliest it should be five years but the VAG spec of 210000 Km and no time limit would test my nerves. On mine and Mrs Crashers cars (both 1.8 20vT) I do six years on a genuine kit but I struggle to hit 3000 miles a year and Mrs C was doing circa 5000 PA but since she has been working from home barely 1000 PA.