Car Stick

Tight Git

Good morning,

I wonder if some kind person could explain (in words of one syllable!) what a car stick is, please?

I'm trying to get the sat nav in my Golf Mk7.5 to provide live traffic updates.

(I've tried Google, but all entries seem to say how good/bad car sticks are without explaining what they do!)

Thank you.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Car stick can mean anything it just an abbreviation if Google can't find an answer what does if say in the radio/sat/nav handbook?

Tight Git

Thanks for your interest.

It's mentioned in the Golf handbook and appears to be a way of using Car-Net by sticking it in the USB socket.

It's apparently available from VW under Part No: [h=1]000 051 409 B[/h]
It would seem I need one of these for live traffic updates on the navigation system.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
My RCD 310 has live traffic updates which is a waste of time as it tells about traffic problems not in my area I disabled that stupid feature.

The sat/nav should to the same.

Is this Car-Net a VW OEM or an aftermarket thing if it uses the USB socket?

Tight Git

It's the sat nav that came with the car, the 8inch display, not the 9.2 inch pro.

I was under the impression that Car Net would be the equivalent of my old Tom Tom, which gave excellent live traffic updates for the road I was driving along.

The drawback was having it stuck to the windscreen with a rubber sucker and a dangling cable to the cig lighter.

One of the reasons I bought the Golf was the inbuilt nav system was much neater, but I wish I had my old Tom Tom back now!

Tight Git

After a lot of investigation, both myself and the VW dealer, it seems I need the car stick but, at £150, I can't justify that sort of money just to get rid of a dangling lead!

I see Halfords can hardwire a TomTom for £35, but I don't like the idea of them drilling into the dashboard of my shiny new car!

lightbody

Your car can also connect to a mobile hotspot either on your phone, or via a usb "myfi" device that you can just leave plugged in if necessary. This will be fairly cheap and let you use all the car-net features including nav updates.

I have a genuine VW carstick, however i find it problematic and erratic and it only sometimes works. I'm planning on adding a permanent myfi stick instead.

Tight Git

Hi Lightbody,

Thanks for your interest, but I've now solved my problem by mounting a TomTom on top of the dash and sticking the cable with superglue down the edge of the car's in built display.

This is much safer as I can glance at the TomTom whilst keeping the road ahead within my field of vision.

I regard the built-in display as very dangerous because I have to look down and take my eyes completely off the road.

The TomTom also solves the problem of not having (or wanting) a smart phone!