Cars / drivers reputations?

Barry_Bulldog

Ok so just for the craic… Are reputations of car drivers justified?

I’ll start this off with a personal experience.

Driving to work today I was in the overtaking lane on the motorway overtaking a string of about 5 cars and a BMW driver caught up behind me at a fair pace and started tailgating me whilst he was on his mobile.

Naturally I couldn’t pull in I was overtaking a string of traffic, but neither was I gonna speed up just to keep this guy happy, so I overtook the drivers as normal and pulled in at the front of the line.

The BMW driver pulled up level with me; he looked over and mouthed something that looked like “funking brick” before putting his foot down and speeding off.

Now I’m a good driver, (IAM says so ;) ) and I wasn’t dawdling in the overtaking lane and I wasn’t hogging it – so this leads me to conclude that this guy was living up (or down) to the reputation of BMW drivers being Funking Bricks.

Anyone else got a story / stories about car drivers proving or disproving any car reputations?

(Disclaimer: This is meant to be lighthearted banter just for the craic, we’re all adults, don’t take owt personally).

Last edited:

Tango084

That's great, typical and I do have a feeling that BMW (not all) have a overwhelming desire to control the road and all on it. This also happens with new Mini drivers. Either, they believe that the Italian Job is real and the sole purpose of the Mini (although Mini being the wrong word as they are now HUGE) is to be used as I heist getaway car or their relationship with BMW forcing driver to become... As you so eloquently put... A brick! Being a motorbike rider to, I have to slightly sit on the fence but cars, bikes or bloody cyclists all have faults but I do feel BMW drivers tend to be the worse for some reason?

SirDucer

I concur most BMW drivers do seem to think they own the roads and also that EVERYONE knows where they are going so don't need to use the indicators.
The X5 drivers being the biggest culprits

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The difference between BMW drivers and Mercedes drives is that BMW drivers THINK they own the road but Mercedes drivers KNOW they own the road, OUT OF THE WAY - I AM IN A MERCEDES, COMING THROUGH-POLAND HERE I COME!

I want to know if only twats buy BMW's or if by buying a BMW something in the glue used for the trim makes you become a twat as all BMW's I come across are piloted by twats of the highest order.

In Germany it is a standing joke that the sat nav systems in a Mercedes only instruct you to invade Poland.

Lupo

Haha I understand this but lets be fair, whenever your behind the wheel of a car and someone does something like this, you cant help thinking what a "insert naughty word here". I think being in a mighty German tin box doesn't affect the drivers personality, only their level of bravery. Because face it, if it was a walking situation they wouldn't say naff all!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Today a complete "small thin sharp piercing the skin pointed object person" cut me up in a Mercedes A class with the left rear door hanging bizarrely open and then slammed to a stop in front of me so I had to swerve around them. Then a slap headed person "of excessive body tissue padding" reassembling a "male reproductive organ" fell out of said open door and waddled into the job centre the car had stopped outside of. A few moments later the same A Class barrelled past me on my right, in a right turn only lane, and cut across the front of my car again. At this point I wished to be able to perform human euthanasia experiments, without anaesthetic, on persons of doubtful birth marital status!

The above post is worded in deference to those members who feel a little light profanity is too much to bear....

RedhillPhil

I have a part-time job since retiring of collecting and delivering (mostly) lease cars. There are male and female reproductive organs behind the wheel of most makes but I'd say that currently BMW and Audi are the class leaders. Young "ladies" in fair performance hatchbacks can be a little aggressive at times. It's always nice to see them get their come-uppance. Currently, Sussex police operate a bewildering array of unmarked cars including - to the Jaguar driver's that overtook me on the M23 a few months ago with about forty mph to spare (I was doing an indicated 75) no doubt astonishment and dismay - an Audi Q7.
Worst experience? Difficult to quantify but the three series (BMW wins again) driver that joined the anti clockwise M25 at J9 and proceeded to hammer it along the hard shoulder before coming past me on the inside then squeezing into lane one narrowly missing the bridge abutement before zig-zagging his way through the traffic was an accident waiting to happen. Problem is of course is that they tend to cause the accident but get away leaving the mayhem behind.

dettmar

From my experience....is that the road comes included in the price of the BMW...as for Audi's they are just overrated VW's (not the exotic ones)

Tango084

Are you saying that as a VW owner (as I am) or as someone stating a fact? Lol.
Audi have a great heritage and to be honest, since 2006 possibly, VW have gone their own way in the design of cars. Although ALL cars share this n that from all over.

Barry_Bulldog

Renault Sodding CLIO's.

My girlfriend's French piece of excrement automobile has had the following go wrong with it:

• Sunroof leaks - solved with sealant and duct tape
  • Windscreen wipers refused to work - solved with a hammer and colourful language
  • Temperamental starter motor - sorted itself out......for now
  • Indicators BOTH directions flash LEFT only. (when I indicate right it still indicates left) - Current issue
  • Steering Wheel melted / disolved or something in the heat....I think - looks like it melted anyway - solved with a steering wheel cover.
  • Engine knocking at low speed low revs - avoided by nursing the clutch from a standstill / not fixed.

So....that's living up / down to the reputation of French reliability very well at the moment.

The driver however, I can't say anything bad about - she's a good driver (and she's harder than me so I daren't say anything!)

tomgill1533

With regard to the above post, your poor experience with Renault concurs with my own personal differences with them. I have come to a final (and fairly obvious) conclusion that if you pay for French then all you'll get is French .... Now back to this thread, in my experience Subaru drivers are always pretty obnoxious ... and one weird thing I've noticed about them: when one Subaru driver passes another fellow Subaru driver they share a brief but very clear nod of acknowledgement to one anther, as if to say "Arite pal, aren't we just the dog's bol**ks!" ... Just an observation!

Barry_Bulldog

Old bloke yesterday in tatty P Reg Mercedes SL.

Never heard of any reputation of Merc drivers but this guy was just a pure danger on the road.

No lane discipline, undertaking and cutting in lanes coming up to roundabouts.

Proper cnut.

sobstory

Ok so just for the craic… Are reputations of car drivers justified?

I’ll start this off with a personal experience.

Driving to work today I was in the overtaking lane on the motorway overtaking a string of about 5 cars and a BMW driver caught up behind me at a fair pace and started tailgating me whilst he was on his mobile.

Naturally I couldn’t pull in I was overtaking a string of traffic, but neither was I gonna speed up just to keep this guy happy, so I overtook the drivers as normal and pulled in at the front of the line.

The BMW driver pulled up level with me; he looked over and mouthed something that looked like “funking brick” before putting his foot down and speeding off.

Now I’m a good driver, (IAM says so ;) ) and I wasn’t dawdling in the overtaking lane and I wasn’t hogging it – so this leads me to conclude that this guy was living up (or down) to the reputation of BMW drivers being Funking Bricks.

Anyone else got a story / stories about car drivers proving or disproving any car reputations?

(Disclaimer: This is meant to be lighthearted banter just for the craic, we’re all adults, don’t take owt personally).

Oh it was you making me late for court...:cry:...
I drive a 3 series,a Golf and I cycle,not at the same time..and tbh I drive the same in either car,terribly perhaps..I am that annoying brick...with many guises. When I had a Subaru(yes I know) it was always Rover 45's sitting up my chuff,now when I cycle around my local I get issues with Merc' taxi's who by the way have the god given right to stop,turn and mount the pavement without any notification,as a shift working ex-motorcyclist it was 4x4 mums picking up their kids..you can find these people anywhere it's just that certain popular "motorway" vehicles attract attention at speed due to their motorway use.

Barry_Bulldog

some knobber driving an ADT liveried Insignia estate on the M1 southbound today thought he owned the road. He nearly caused several incidents by undertaking / cutting in (including myself).

Didn't know Insignia's came without indicators. :mad:

STU.T.

Good crack so true folks. I was on my way home the day in my golf. Some flash toffee nose bloke in a new BMW came tearing up my back end ( no not like that ) so I sat for half a mile to piss him off then by accident drop a gear or two. Good by you snobby turd. ;)

I LOVE MY MK4 GOLF 1.8T GTI ;)

A the end of the day we get to the same place regardless how fast or slow we go.
Drive safe !!!!!