Cars / drivers reputations?

S

Splitty13

Ok so just for the craic… Are reputations of car drivers justified?

I’ll start this off with a personal experience.

Driving to work today I was in the overtaking lane on the motorway overtaking a string of about 5 cars and a BMW driver caught up behind me at a fair pace and started tailgating me whilst he was on his mobile.

Naturally I couldn’t pull in I was overtaking a string of traffic, but neither was I gonna speed up just to keep this guy happy, so I overtook the drivers as normal and pulled in at the front of the line.

The BMW driver pulled up level with me; he looked over and mouthed something that looked like “funking brick” before putting his foot down and speeding off.

Now I’m a good driver, (IAM says so ;) ) and I wasn’t dawdling in the overtaking lane and I wasn’t hogging it – so this leads me to conclude that this guy was living up (or down) to the reputation of BMW drivers being Funking Bricks.

Anyone else got a story / stories about car drivers proving or disproving any car reputations?

(Disclaimer: This is meant to be lighthearted banter just for the craic, we’re all adults, don’t take owt personally).

If people stayed left except for overtaking then most of the congestion would be solved but they dont and most of the funcking bricks happen to drive BMW, Audi and Mercedes cars although the odd VW and Vauxhall creep in too and MPV's ha ha

its the same old "I have paid for car tax, I own the road" syndrome and its pathetic but hey, try it with me and I will slam on my brakes and smack you

sonicgroove

BMW= road abusers
Merc = Road owners
Audi = Pretend road abusers/owners
VW = Slightly smug, but pretty good (with the exception of GTI owners....usually smiling and has a twinkle in their eye)
SAAB = Smug ingrained into their psyche
Volvo = sloooooooow and steady loses every race (except T5 owners....Smug in the knowledge that people are scared they are coppers and could whup the ass of anyone prepared to try)
Korean cars(lets face it they are all the same) = Don't really like driving and are quite happy to let their skills show everyone that
Jap cars = The whole of humanity rolled up and spat out (usually with a cap of some sort adorning their heads)
Vauxhall = Know nothing about cars, but it was cheap
Rover = Patriotic UKIP voters who have difficulty using their right foot

Astonred

might not be the cars, just people who drive them. usually the baseball cap wearing, car modding lot. Although not all of them.

S

Splitty13

Dont forget the French cars

All of these owners go for them for the styling

After all they will spend enough time looking at them when they are broken down so I suppose you cannot blame them !!!!

Joe.GTD

Dont be so harsh on the French!!
I had a 2011 Citroen C3 and it only broke once!

lol okay maybe it shouldnt be breaking brand new...cheap french crap

Joe.GTD

The heater broke in December, I have never appreciated a simple heater blower to defrost a car or warm me up so much after it was fixed 3 weeks later. When it had gone from -10 to 5 degrees. Useless French

haynes66

as a biker i tend to watch out for all drivers, whatever car they drive. there are polite (honestly!!) bmw drivers out there as well as idiot vw drivers so i make no distinction, although when i was repping many years ago in my pug 407, i sat in the fast (my) lane permanently at 90 odd with my fog lights on. i think it comes with the job!

Bret Solar B Hawker

I don't know, every year I make the 550 mile trip down to Devon from Sheffield and I see many drivers in many different cars and 65% of them drive like sh*t. Like my father, with a 54 plate Vauxhall Vectra C Estate 2.2 Di that he thinks is a Subaru WRX cycling through gears rougher than an East London estate...
Its all about the driver, some of them dont give a shit about other road users, some do...
To me, its the people doing 90 in a National Speed Limit zone pulling sketchy overtakes on a blind corner or hill forcing you to slow down more than you should have to just so you know they can get around the front of you without taking you off the road and into the very unappealing row of trees...

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I have just been stuck behind a knob in a Rav 4 who was doing 20 in a 30 and then we came into the new 20mph zone near my workshop, he sped ahead doing well over 30, twat!

richch

I think all of this is confirmation bias. What I mean is that, for example you say a statement like "All BMW drivers are idiots" therefore when you see one driving like an idiot therefore it confirms the said bias. If you were to actually log all the instances where you saw a BMW and they were driving normally, you would probably see that they are on the whole the same as everyone else.

Just to throw a little science in there..

deeslexia

.... as a previous Citroen Dyane 600cc driver , there was an assumption that we are proceeding at 20mph , everybody sees fit to leap out in front of us ...
by the same token . With the current 2cv fun car ,i t's neat to nip out to the outside lane downhill with tail wind at 80 and p... BMW drivers off
... then there is the trick of slipping through the centre lane to dicing with the lorries .. got stopped by the law who let me off 'cos they could not believe it could do 80+ .
no problem with our anticipated New Beetle I guess !

.. and what about those old BMWs driven by kids with no regard for anyone . I favour scrapping of all BMWs after 5 years .LOL.

dee

proccy

In a totally non-scientific way I can categorically state it seems to be Audi drivers who now rule the roads and are waay more arrogant from personal experience........:rolleyes:

Webley

Ah yes the BMW driver,Good cars but only have 2 positions on the go faster pedal,on or off.
I remember back in the 70s when the same type of driver used to have a MK3 Cortina(Coke Bottle shape)

Now I think when they park up the car of an evening or weekend,they don Lycra and get on the cycling equivalent of a BMW.
They still think they own the road.

Oh and has anyone on here been overtaken at anytime by a Toyota?
They don`t seem to be able to get past 50 mph.

Vauxhalls cannot go round corners at all well it seems.

Dobby

I used to be a carer for the stunt driver of the red mini and he was a tall big man. He drove like that all the time 😂 in a mondeo. Some places i mentioned with traffic lights he would go...what lights.. 😑

amp

have to say that all bmw drivers are bell ends. Having just swapped a Mercedes to a VW, i'll leave that there. I certainly didn't drive like a twonk in my Mercedes.