Clicking noise when parking

Stanhope

Hi,
I've recently bought a 2012 Tiguan and have noticed a clicking noise coming from the front when I'm parking. The previous owner thought maybe the plastic underguard had come loose and it was catching on that but this isn't the cast as the garage can't see anything obvious.
Anyone have any ideas. I'm beginning to regret buying his as its already scrubbed the insides out of the rear tyres.
Thank you

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The clicking may be an outer CV joint but it isn't common on these. Rear tyre inner scrubbing is endemic on this platform known as the PQ46 which is nearly identical to the PQ35, so Golf 5, Octavia 3 etc. The most common reason is poor rear alignment but if the rear springs, bump stops or dampers are weak, this causes excessive squat and therefore a big change in rear alignment. when we know the springs/bump stops/dampers and bushes (especially the lower spring plate inners) are all perfect we have our alignment centre set the camber up at the positive end of the tolerance and then set the toe to spec, this helps prevent inner wear but even then it can be an issue, sometimes certain tyres seem more prone than others.