UK Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The radio on my MK7 GTD works flawlessly on all the different functions except for the DAB radio function. Has anyone come across this issue before and know of a fix?

Things to note about my Golf - It is a categorised vehicle and the rear end of the vehicle was involved in the accident causing it to become a CAT S.

As far as I can make out the DAB radio antennas are located behind panneling at the rear window. I have gained access to them by removing the panneling and both units are in place and the wiring to the antennas appears to be OK, however, there was a thin blue and black wire which seemed to be broken at either end. Having stripped back some of the loom to find the breaks I was unable to find where the wire came from or went to. I have attached pictures in case my descrition of the issue has been confusing.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Administrator
32,475 Posts
Start with a code read of the head unit, it will pick up an antenna problem, we are seeing a lot of Golf 7’s with tailgate to body wiring fractures in the conduits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start with a code read of the head unit, it will pick up an antenna problem, we are seeing a lot of Golf 7's with tailgate to body wiring fractures in the conduits.
Cheers for the reply Crasher. I only have a Carista OBDII scanner which was not very helpful with regards to pulling codes from the infotainment system. Codes from the infotainment system are as follows:

00002 - Transmission control unit
00004 - Manufacturer Specific Code
00012 - Manufacturer Specific Code

The wire breaks you mentioned in your reply - where are they typically found? I checked the rubber loom protectors where the tailgate opens but everything looks OK in there at a quick glance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need a proper code read, I thought Carista was better than that?
It has been great pulling codes from every other module apart from the infotainment for some reason. I will have a better look at the wiring integrity around the tailgate area when I have more time and find someone with VAGCOM to get a more accurate scan of the fault codes.

Cheers Crasher (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The radio on my MK7 GTD works flawlessly on all the different functions except for the DAB radio function. Has anyone come across this issue before and know of a fix?

Things to note about my Golf - It is a categorised vehicle and the rear end of the vehicle was involved in the accident causing it to become a CAT S.

As far as I can make out the DAB radio antennas are located behind panneling at the rear window. I have gained access to them by removing the panneling and both units are in place and the wiring to the antennas appears to be OK, however, there was a thin blue and black wire which seemed to be broken at either end. Having stripped back some of the loom to find the breaks I was unable to find where the wire came from or went to. I have attached pictures in case my descrition of the issue has been confusing.

Cheers.
From the 2018 Golf and Golf Estate information brochure, page 10, ours was registered 16/11/2018, although it has been referred to as a 2019 model. The Asterix (**) are my addition.

RTAINMENT

Composition Media infotainment system

- 8.0" colour touch-screen

- Bluetooth telephone and audio

connection for compatible devices 1

- Car information display

- DAB digital radio receiver **

- MDI (Multi Device Interface), via USB

connection - compatible products only

- Music playback from MP3,

WMA and AAC files

- SD card reader

- Simultaneous pairing of 2

compatible mobile devices

- Single CD player

- SMS functionality - read, compose

and send SMS messages using

touch-screen display (when stationary,

compatible Android smartphones only)

- Title and cover art display

- 'Think Blue Trainer '

Driver tips and journey analysis

- 1 x USB connection, USB charging socket

(compatible products only)

- 4 x 20-watt output

- 8 speakers, front and rear

Premium USB cable (choice of either Apple

or Android smartphone compatibility)

**Although in this case; A very intermittent or not at all DAB digital radio receiver.

Please see the Motoring page in the Daily Express, Saturday 4th June 2022, especially the section about tha aptic controls on the steering wheel, not an endearing recommendation; given the parlous state of the Infotainment Centre in our car! He says that the new POLO GTi hasn't inherited the same poor Inotainment centre as the Golf!!

It's not just yours with the DAB problem, it's wide spread, out local VW agent keeps trying the recommendations from VW, software updates and even replacing the main 5F unit, but the crux of the problem is the very poor aerial setup, there isn't a software update that'll cure that!!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Cheers.
Many thanks for your reply, from some of the forums it seems that only certain models present the fault. The car has had all the electronic parts changed by the VW agent including the main 5F unit (the brains), it's been tested and scanned on a number of occasions, another scan next week they've requested that the dash-cam (a VW accessory one but with extra ferrite beads fitted on the wiring), and any USB devices are dis-connected (they haven't noticed that this is how it's been everytime they've tested so far). The whole thing is that the aerial system is faulty, they won't accept that! In radio terms if ALL the components have been replaced EXCEPT the aerial; that's the part that's faulty,no matter how good the front end (electronicically) is; crap signal in means crap reception out!
It doesn't make any difference whatsoever with the items plugged in or left dis-connected!!

As to the blue wire, search for the wiring diagram on the internet, there's bound to be someone with a copy, then you should be able to trace the wires.

Ta, G6YGJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update to the DAB problem in our 2019 model Golf Estate SE TDi NAV, VW actually changed the "DAB ANTENNA" in the tailgate, the oblong component lefthand upper side, which is an interface not an Antenna, which was the first thing checked 15 months ago and said to be fault-free? After software & firmware updates, 4 code readings,the 5F main unit being replaced all with no success, the first part that was said to be fault-free, that's now been replaced, the DAB reception is as good as in the courtesy cars supplied, mainly Polo's. it's such a pity it's only taken 15 months to go back to the beginning. The most common and important part of receiving radio waves is the aerial, if that's not right, the reception isn't right!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts