Discover Pro Software Update (Sat Nav)

mdavis6

Hi all, looking for advice - trying to update Sat Nav maps via the Menu/Setup/Update Software route.

No matter what I do I can't get the head unit to find the updates on the USBc stick. I've done all the recommended procedures from the VW website (formatted the stick, erased all files, used their recommended unzip software etc) but the head unit will not go any further than the 'finding updated software' message with the waiting/rotating circle of doom..!

The car is a 2020 model Passat Estate with Discover Pro head unit, USB 'c' ports and no SD port (therefore a 2020 model despite being registered in Sept 2019).

The reason for the update requirement is that the maps appear to end at Sheffield and don't restart until Bristol. I've turned on the auto - updates for maps and they work but only for the area I'm actually in, not for other parts of the country I maybe planning to navigate to. VW won't do the updates so was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if they've resolved it - HOW :)

Thanks in advance

Martin

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
That isn't an easy question to answer.

You say VW won't do updates why what is the reason?

There is no SD card which is unusual as that is how the sat/nav updates are installed.

This has been talked about many times in this section.

You say you formatted the USD flash drive with which format NTFS or FAT32.

My 4GB USB flash drive has the be formatted FAT32 else it won't read the MP3 files on it.

There are map updates online I don't thing they are OEM as I believe a dealer will charge £200 for the map updates.

mdavis6

VW say that they have been told to inform the customer that they can 'easily' update their own maps via the free VW map update link. I'm guessing the time it would take to update would make this uneconomical to do it for each customer who asks so therefore the free service via the web - the update is 29gB so not quick to either load or update.

The Discover Pro in the latest Passats do not have SD card slots, only USBc. The instructions for the particular head unit also ask for the updates to be done via USBc. I've formatted it as FAT32, as well as exFAT but no joy. It's a 64gB stick, which VW state is ok so long as it's a minimum of 32gB

The VW link is here;

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vw...ad#/?car=4dc27b81-2493-4841-8126-7f44ea242a19

CJJE

This sounds like a MIB3 satnav unit, and there are several threads in the Briskoda.net forum reporting similar problems in Skoda Kamiqs and Octavias. As you say, the SD card port has been removed, and you get auto-updates online. I have seen complaints that you can't navigate to a postcode unless you have actually driven to that area so the appropriate map segment has been updated.

I'm beginning to suspect that VAG have moved all their software experts to sorting out the iD3 and iD4, with the problems being experienced in other areas :(

Jean-Louis

Hi all, looking for advice - trying to update Sat Nav maps via the Menu/Setup/Update Software route.

No matter what I do I can't get the head unit to find the updates on the USBc stick. I've done all the recommended procedures from the VW website (formatted the stick, erased all files, used their recommended unzip software etc) but the head unit will not go any further than the 'finding updated software' message with the waiting/rotating circle of doom..!

The car is a 2020 model Passat Estate with Discover Pro head unit, USB 'c' ports and no SD port (therefore a 2020 model despite being registered in Sept 2019).

The reason for the update requirement is that the maps appear to end at Sheffield and don't restart until Bristol. I've turned on the auto - updates for maps and they work but only for the area I'm actually in, not for other parts of the country I maybe planning to navigate to. VW won't do the updates so was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if they've resolved it - HOW :)

Thanks in advance

Martin
Hi Martin,

I am in France with a new Passat since March 2020 and I have the same issue: only the roads that are about 100 to 200 km from home are visible. I tried to update, but as you, I have no feedback from the system, only the rotating stuff. I didn't tried with an SD card, but actually there are 2 SD cards in the glove box. If you have a solution, please share. I continue my research and will tell you if something new happens.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Here I am again with my problem of maps update.
I contacted again the customer service of VW they oriented me to the "we connect" support. They checked that my car is well connected to their service and didn't find anything wrong. Thus back to VW support, the guy in charge of the GPS, he confirmed that the car should answer something when I ask for an update and recommend to go to the workshop of my VW reseller. So here I am, without solution and an apointment with the workshop on December 17th.
Since they already had my car in October, I am not very optimistic in finding a solution with them.
It's a real shame for VW!
I continue my research in between.

SadClouds

Have you extracted the update files to your USB stick, or did you simply copy .tar file there? What do the instructions actually say?

Jean-Louis

Have you extracted the update files to your USB stick, or did you simply copy .tar file there? What do the instructions actually say?
Hi, yes I extracted the files on a clean USB stick, the instruction then says to connect, go to the menu select update and then follow the system messages. The system don't give me any feedback, as described in the first message of the thread.
I am doing this update because parts of the map are missing, VW support is supposed to work on my problem these days but I have no news yet.
This is a discover pro gen 3, so one of the latest model; it seems to work differently than the previous models, it looks like very few people VW know it. Let's wait two more days to see if something happens.

SadClouds

Maybe try formatting USB stick with NTFS file system, I have a smart TV that refuses to recognise exFAT but works with NTFS. Other devices may have similar limitations.

Jean-Louis

Maybe try formatting USB stick with NTFS file system, I have a smart TV that refuses to recognise exFAT but works with NTFS. Other devices may have similar limitations.
Hi, thanks for trying to help!
It's a good idea, the documentation is not clear on that point. I will give it a try and tell you if it works.

Jean-Louis

Hi, I tried with a NTFS file system and it failed the same way.
My car reseller is now working on the issue too and is trying to obtain a replacement of the device itself.
No news from "we connect".

mdavis6

VW have no released a PC and Mac program which handles the whole process of updating the maps - from identifying if the maps you have are current, to choosing the correct maps for the car you own, to formatting the usb stick and writing the files to it. Sounds good..? Yes, but - it still doesn’t work. I’ve tried choosing different discover pro versions incase my car is actually a 2019 model and not 2020 but still no joy. Next step is to try another usb stick to rule that out. After that. ...?
I also have an issue with my gps in that it regularly doesn’t know where it is. A journey can start out ok and within two miles it’s completely in the wrong place. The car has been to VW twice for this. First time they updated the head unit firmware as they found a knowledge based article and fix from VW which described the fault. That worked for a day or so and then it went faulty again. Next trip to VW and they changed the shark fin antenna unit. That worked for a week or so and then it went back to being lost. I’m assuming it could be a break in the cable between the antenna and the head unit. I thought I may be able to connect a cheap antenna to the head unit for a week or so and see if that sorted it - or isolated the fault to the head unit. However, on removing the head unit (in the glovebox) there is no GPS connection - only DAB, FM and AM antenna plus the usual yellow, pink and multi plug connectors. Can anyone shed any light on where I can find the GPS connection..?

SadClouds

When I was buying new VW Golf back in 2015, I deliberately avoided discover pro. I had concerns around future support and updates over the next 10 years that I was planning to keep the car. I've been using TomTom for years and it works extremely well. If you can't resolve your issues, maybe get yourself a TomTom and stop tearing your hair out. To be honest, I've never tried VW navigation software, but I always imagined it to be way too expensive and somewhat buggy.