Drivers side door lock unit compatibility

Steve Mon

Have a faulty door lock unit part number
5Z2 837 014J.

Have managed to find possible second hand replacement part number

5Z2 837 014G

Is anyone able to let me know if these parts are interchangeable please. They do look identical - but not sure what difference the G as opposed to the J at the end of the part numbers might mean.

Any advice most welcome please.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
If it does that means the number is an internal one for factory use, not the replacement number, it is very irritating that VAG group do this, with central locking it ends 016

Steve Mon

Okay - thanks.

I'm assuming then that the used unit I am looking at possibly has the same factory coding ending in 014 the same as mine.
However, still not sure if the G rather than a J at the end of the code makes any difference? Thinking of just buying it and trying it out unless anyone knows that the end letter part code difference may make them incompatible?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Even I don’t know and can’t find out the relevance of the post number letter(s) but where the actual part numbers are concerned the letter(s) after the nine digits in groups of three can me it is a totally different part to a single letter difference, it can mean it is an updated part (letter changes are rarely in alphabetical order so a C isn’t necessarily letter than an A) or it can mean nothing at all. After 40 years of working with them day in day out I reckon I still only have a clear grasp of 10% of the subject. A friend of mine for over 40 years worked at a VW dealer and TPS and was an absolute font of knowledge with VAG part numbers but he passed away a couple of years ago.

Steve Mon

Many thanks for all of your help and advice. Much appreciated. Fingers crossed I may have tracked down a replacement used unit with exact matching part code. Hope this solves the fault. Kind regards. Steve.