Electrical issues

Wekey_LS

Other than the MAF sensor, could there be another issue? I got a new genuine one fitted and the problem persisted, also replaced ignition coil, plugs and plug wires, new gasket as well. Also, plugs still get oily. Any suggestions?

Wekey_LS

Ehh! Can you elaborate?
Car - Golf Mk4, 1.6 SR, AKL

Basically there's a rough idle, excessive fuel consumption, car also runs super rich (I assume it explains the the fuel consumption)

Above 3000rpm there's more power and less hesitation in acceleration.

I'm not sure which information you would find necessary, any advice?

Had the car checked and the scan said it was the MAF, replaced MAF, ignition coil, plugs and leads and changed oil, same issue persistents. Head gasket also only a few months old.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh the AKL, simpler days... We did one the other day, 20 years old and a load of MOT work but still a good car. Those were the days when you could still do a head gasket in a day, off by tea break and still hot on the engineers bench for skimming and back on for afternoon tea braek and invoiced and gone, now it is three days work!

You need a code read first, a common issue is air leaks into the breather system after the Air Mass Meter and before the throttle body, the plastic pipe falls apart and the oil cap adapter lets air in above the cam cover. The Throttle body itself often needs cleaning BUT is impossible to set up without the correct diagnostic equipment.

It is likely you have a faulty Lambda sensor but check the crankcase ventilation system first.