Fans turn on after ingition turned off and stay on until they drain the battery.

ThomasApo

A couple of minutes after I turn off the ignition and remove the key both radiator fans start spinning full speed until they drain the battery.
Once I turn the ignition on the fans stop misbehaving.
No engine temperature problems and all levels good.
Does not do if the car is cold only after it has gone around and has reached 90cº.
Golf Plus TDI 1.9 2006

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The problem will be the fan controller which is built into the large fan but there were a lot of changes 2005>2006 and working out the replacement parts requires the cars VIN.

ThomasApo

WVWZZZ1KZ6W556196

Thanks for the quick reply.
Reading around I figured it might be something along those lines.
I suppose I should look for a replacement large fan. But I doubt I will date doing the swap self as I don't have a ramp or access to one.

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The main fan in yours is part number 1K0 959 455 EA but VW genuine fans are stupidly expensive, that one is £257.74 so because it is a common one they are quite easy to get at a less painful price, the EIS range from Euro Car Parts has worked well for me so far, their part number 213440210. They are not to evil to do but you do need the front end quite high of the ground to drop the pack out. One word of caution, we did just the main fan on a Golf 5 many years ago and it failed again very quickly, it was the secondary fan that was causing the controller to fail.

ThomasApo

Thanks again Crasher this is super helpful!
One question, is there a way to check if it's indeed the secondary fan that causes the failure? Maybe a short circuit in the connection between them?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly an overload but I don’t have figures for what it should be or the time to be honest, always up against the clock.