Fire wall grommets

Brian G

Hi. I have 2013 T32 transporter. Can anybody tell me what the purpose of the rubber grommet is which is located in the fire wall behind the battery compartment. It is not a standard blank grommet and I was wondering if it would be a suitable entry to pass a leisure battery cable through from the cab.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Grommets are there to seal holes which are used for various optional or market specific features. I can’t recall the one you mention but if you pop it out you may find a sound denying material and after that an access through behind. There is not a lot of space up behind there, I spent three days last week wiring in that area and getting a power wire to the back is best done running it up the A pillar and through the roof which is where the factory harness runs so it is out of the way of load area damage.

Brian G

Thanks for the reply Crasher. I have sussed it out “I think”. The grommet in question has a short flexible hose attached to it which in turn is attached to a brown tube which appears to go up the windscreen pillar. I think it is possibly a drain outlet for the factory fitted sun roof but I may be wrong. It would be good if my theory is confirmed! i have however found another grommet below this one and behind a foam panel which I think is specifically for the + leisure battery cable.