Flashing red oil light 1.4L 2005 new beetle cabriolet

tojjm

Hi,
My daughter called me saying there was a flashing red oil light on her dash board and she topped the oil up, then she had white smoke, I checked the oil level and it was half way up the dip stick, I have drained the oil and replaced the oil level sensor in the sump, then I checked on here and found that this fault is not oil level. I started the engine left it running for 10 minutes then took it for a drive, just after the red oil light started flashing and beeping, drove back home, starts and drives really good. Can anyone tell me what i need to check, replace please?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yellow warning is level, red warning is ohh 5h1t... You need a proper oil pressure test carrying out using a gauge to replace the switch in the head, the thread is an M10x1 if you want to buy your own gauge. It could be a blocked pick up pipe in the sump, if it isn’t you can look at it as being terminal.

tojjm

Hi, thanks for advice, where in the head is the oil pressure switch and what pressure should I be getting? Do I run the engine for a bit or just take reading? , if it’s the pick up pipe is that sump off and clean, can sump be taken off the engine without removing engine from car, thanks again.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is on the number four end of the head, pointing straight out towards the radiator, old part number 036 919 081 A but now 036 919 081 D and £20.30 from VW. but much less for a Febi 19014, it is supposed to be green and switches between 0.3 and 0.6 Bar and normally open, pressure to close circuit.

c2163fdf58e53104e4b3dd466c67f705aca3a06e.jpg

tojjm

Thanks again, so I’m looking for oil pressure of under 0.3 bar, could it be the oil pressure sensor?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The specification for the oil pressure is a minimum of 2Bar at 2000rpm at 80 degrees centigrade oil temperature but in reality you need to see 3Bar as a healthy figure and at idle, around 1Bar. Yes it could be the sender, they soften fail and the version originally fitted to that engine has been revised.