Fuel Filter Replacement

LastBigSpender

Hi

I have a DSG 2011 B7 Passat and its becoming very jumpy when idling. I also have noticed that it takes a few cranks more when starting.

I had another car which did the same thing and a fuel filter replacement sorted it.

Is this a DIY job with the Passat? I have watched videos and its fairly straight forward.

Thanks

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
More likely to be a failing injector but yes do the filter first. After installing a new element the system MUST be bled thoroughly by running the electric fuel pump (some have two) to completely remove any air from the system or the mechanical high pressure pump will run dry and can be instantly ruined and are a very expensive job to replace even with and consequential swarf damage to the rest of the system. We use a 2010Passat 2L TDI as our loan car and this often misfires at idle when it comes back from a protracted loan; after running it low ( it usually comes back running on vapour) and filling up with Shell V Power, the problem goes away.

LastBigSpender

Thanks Crasher, car has only 65K miles wouldnt like to think it would be an injector.

Will get mechanic to change fuel filter as it needs service as well be on the safe side.

mattyuk

Hi folks. New here so go easy on me. So I've made the classic mistake and not primed the fuel filter/container on my golf plus 1.6 tdi 2010, thinking I'd get away with turning the key a few times to prime it.

8 hours later after manually refilling the lines to/from the fuel filter I got it running again, but my quesiton is this:

Just because the car is running, does that mean that all the air has gone from the lines? If not, will that air naturally be pulled through into the injectors and discharged, or do I need to find a way to purge it to prevent future issues. eg. get a VCDS setup and prime the lifter and high pressure pumps simultaneously?

Thanks all. It was a long day, but at least I now know how to remove the rear seats to get to the fuel pump....

LastBigSpender

I am glad my mechanic is changing my fuel filter. He did say that he had a golf a while back that the driver changed fuel filter himself but had big problems and took the mechanic several days to sort resulting in new fuel pump!!