UK Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all first time posting

i have a 52 plate polo sport and the third gear has gone on it.

the code for the gear box which i found on a sticker in the boot is FCU

where on the gearbox do i find this code FCU

i have just got an replacement gearbox for it and they say it is the right one for my car

how ever i can not seem to find the code FCU on this gearbox

any help please

regards

Ned

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Crasher

I have had a look again on the gearbox they sent me

this is all i can find on it

ES GX2
107 B/P4

8 GX2
ES
GDT1023

is this the right gearbox?

regards

Ned

·
Administrator
32,476 Posts
The GSK is an 02TR series box used in the Audi A2, Polo Classic and Caddy van from 2000 to 2009. The one you have been supplied with was built 08/07/2003 according to the numbers you posted so that box is from a 2003/2004 model A2 1.6 FSI with a BAD code engine.

The FCU is an 02TZ series box used in the 6L Seat Ibiza/Cordoba, Skoda Fabia, Audi A2 and Polo 9N1 and 9N3.

The bell housings are the same part number so in theory it will bolt onto your engine and the 1st to 5th gear ratios of both boxes are the same but the GSK has a final drive ratio of 3.934 and the FCU has a final drive ratio of 3.88 so the final drive ratio is a long way out and will seriously impact on the way the car drives making it rev more and use more fuel.

From what I can see you need an FCU (obviously) or a GSZ, FVT, GET, GDL, GKT, GRP, GKN or FDM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crasher

Thank you so much for your help in this matter,you have my respect

i will ring them back and get my money back they are called global breakers ltd in chorley lancs

i am not impressed with them at all

they stated that it was the right gearbox.

and thanks for the other codes that will fit i will try for the FCU but will also look for the others

thanks again for your help

i will keep you posted

regards

Ned

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I'm new too haha sorry to resurrect an old post. That diagram is awesome .. Whereabouts are those codes on the casing when the gearbox is in the car? Is that the top, like under the battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
.. Right, so I've found the correctly-coded gearbox for my engine on Ebay (many thanks again Crasher).

Can I expect a gearbox (this one) to come with the driveshaft flanges? Or are they part of the Driveshafts?

The reason I've been asking about the gearbox code is because I recently unlocked the achievement "passenger side driveshaft flange insecure to gearbox - DANGEROUS TO DRIVE" - but I've also got a munched synchro in 5th.

I figure replace the gearbox (because if the driveshaft is wobbling, the diff has probably got bolt rattling around inside it? and if so that's probably Not Good™) but I'm wondering if I should be looking to buy some driveshafts, too.

How deep does the rabbit hole go, folks?

(P.S Is this the kind of thing a new thread would be good for?)

Edit: added the all-important 'flange'

·
Administrator
32,476 Posts
No, carry on here, you're fine. I expect they would sell the shafts separately, I bought a used Bora 1.8T 6 speed to convert my Octavia and I asked if they had the shafts and the reply was "no, we scrap them" to which I replied "do you know how rare these shafts are and how much they cost new?". I bought some brand new shafts (cost twice as much as the box) and fitted it all, on the first run the "guaranteed low mileage" box sounded like a coffee grinder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry Crasher I missed the all-important 'flange' on my previous post - so my passenger side driveshaft flange is insecure to the gearbox.. but the driveshaft is secure to the flange, at least

(I can literally reach over the battery, grab the driveshaft by the bit where it bolts to the flange, pull towards the wheel, and the driveshaft + flange comes out of the diff - not completely out, but enough to not have any drive)

I'm wondering if the flanges are a standalone purchase or whether I can expect them on a 2nd hand gearbox or on a purchased driveshaft.
I found my gearbox and the right driveshafts on Ebay, but without flange(s) it's kind of a moot point..

That sounds like a pretty disconcerting experience you had with the Octavia - do you suspect that that was because the box wasn't as low mileage as you'd been led to believe and it was just wrecked inside? The idea of buying a 40 kilo lemon does worry me!

I've seen this place online called AutoVillage where they collect quotes and send them to your email, I thought it was pretty good - I digress, some of the quotes had like a 1month or 3 month warranty - based on your Octavia experience is this supposed warranty something you'd value if you were looking to buy again?

·
Administrator
32,476 Posts
The flange on yours sounds like the centre bolt has snapped or come loose. I chose a Bora 1.8T as I thought it may have led a quieter life than a Leon Cupra which never seem to get driven slowly, it was destroyed inside with number 2 synchro melted, probaly mums car driven by a teenage son like I was... I paid £400 for the box and £1000 in parts rebuilding it; but I did a few upgrades such as ARP diff bolts and steel shift forks, well it would be rude not to...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts