Gearbox Issue??

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I make a lot of use of my cross bars, one has two threads which helps with all sorts of jobs. The “lounge shop” is not uncommon but what will really get you into trouble is the “parts washer” in the kitchen...

Gozzy

So today I removed the clutch and flywheel. Both look knackered to me with flywheel having what looks like hard spots with a blueish tinge. The pressure plate forks are slightly pitted at the end.

Could someone offer a 2nd opinion please?

DSC_1276_compress28.jpg
DSC_1269_compress94.jpg
DSC_1272_compress15.jpg
DSC_1274_compress27.jpg

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Nasty hot spots caused by slipping and this changes the chemistry of the flywheel and only a deep skim will remove it. A new VW flywheel is £240 so a skim makes sense.

Gozzy

Well I've ended up sending the gearbox off for a free inspection by a local firm :)

While it's off I was going to replace the crankshaft seal until I started looking at prices :( £70 for the full housing, wtf!!
Does anyone know where I can get just the seals from please? The part code on the housing is 045103173

Thanks

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
That is just a casting number, the VW part number is 038 103 171 S BUT to instal a new seal you need to have the sump off and it is strongly advisable to use the proper setting jig to align and press the unit on. Mess this up and the engine will not start.

Gozzy

Thanks but you've scared me now haha

This is the part :
DSC_1281_compress56.jpg
Which fits here:
DSC_1280_compress52.jpg

The manual doesn't mention any jigery pokery, just bolt it on and torque it? ��

Gozzy

Well I've just read the manual (properly) and I understand what you mean. If I'd have realised earlier I'd of left the feckin thing well alone.

Fuming!

Thanks for the info

Gozzy

Thanks mate, just watched a video on it and read some tutorials..... Looks an absolute **** of a job :mad:

Might try and find a local mechanic to come out and fit it might be an hours labour? Seen some tools on ebay for 50-70 quid so better off using that money for a grown up to do it :p

Gozzy

So the garage I was thinking of doesn't have the tool.

Does anyone know of a decent company that could I could buy one from to be delivered next day for less the £100?

Found a few on ebay but they're from outside of the UK and delivery is a week :-(

Gozzy

I don't suppose anyone has a guide for setting TDC, all I can find is timing belt replacement tutorials which are hurting my tiny mind.

It seems like a bigger job the setting the seal :-(

Gozzy

Actually think I've sussed it...

Remove expansion tank, fuel filter housing and engine mount.

Then i should be able to get to the cog to set it at TDC. If the cog is oval set it to 1 o'clock else set to 12.

Does that sound right?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
No, remove the crank pulley and upper cam cover, rotate the crank util the locking tool will go into the crank and the locking pin into the cam pulley, this gives you TDC number 1.

50070717613_b967fc4e5f_o.jpg

Gozzy

Please God tell me this is correct :p

DSC_1295_compress40.jpg

The 2nd securing pin doesn't go in all the way but there is small hole which looks like some kind of marker which does disappear into the cam

DSC_1293_compress83.jpg

The other thing I noticed was a plastic ridge which lines up with the edge of another ridge on the cam. Hopefully another check to confirm its OK

DSC_1294_compress47.jpg

The picture in the manual is showing that the cam should be in a different position. The gap with the row of teeth is at the top which isn't the case for mine.

DSC_1296_compress61.jpg

If this isn't correct Is it a case of removing the locking tool then moving the cam until it looks like the pic in the manual? Sorry if this is an obvious question but I really don't want to mess it up and be 180deg out :eek:

Last edited:

Gozzy

Also new part arrived today, it says it fits a golf 1k or a caddy 2k and covers bhp 70 - 140 so I think it's correct.

Could someone confirm this is tee correct part please?

Just to confirm my Caddy has (I think) a Golf 2.0 sdi BKD engine and HHN gearbox.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_1299_compress29.jpg
    DSC_1299_compress29.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: