German Golf Plus - headlight identification/replacement

TinkerPhil

Hi

I want to change my German RHD headlights to UK LHD

On the top of the lights (Hella) I see these identifications:

20 10222 13150 HC HC HR A A a RL
PL (E4)
25 10223 13151 00 00 00 02 02 01 00

Do these translate into useful part numbers?

Would that be 1LE 247 013-081 ?

Are these the ones I want?

(I'm concerned they are labelled "right hand traffic" - is that what I want for UK spec?)

Can anyone recommend some lights?

Are they readily available 2nd hand off eBay?

So many questions! Sorry!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Model: Golf Plus 1.4
Date of production: 08.12.2010
Year: 2011
Sales type: 521 3Q2
Engine Code: CAVD
Transmission Code: KWB
Exterior colour paint code: LA8X

I get the headlights you need as 5M2 941 005 C left and 5M2 941 006 C right. No mainstream aftermarket manufacturer list a version although Euro Car Parts (the same company as Buy Car Parts) list them under their number 471445721and 471445711 but at their list price of £234.99 I think I would buy them genuine at £209.10... All the ones in the link you posted are left hand drive.

TinkerPhil

Wow! Thanks Crasher!

I did wonder if the ones I had found were 'wrong' - I guess they were 'correct' - because I was searching using the numbers already on my car - doh!

Weird that most of the other details you give me do not match the "German V5" - but I have no doubt you are right about the fittings - thanks

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Usually (not always) a VAG part number with an even number (usually 2) as the third digit in the first group, signifies it is for left hand traffic (i.e. right hand drive) so 1T1 would be a right hand traffic Touran and 1T2 left hand traffic component and this is also the case with the cars type number, Golf+ 521 right hand traffic, 522 left hand traffic.

TinkerPhil

Good info - thanks

How important is the last letter of the spec?

I have found some 2nd hand ones but they end with "A" not "C" - are they likely to have different mounts or connectors?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The last letter can mean nothing, an upgraded part or one that is completely different, it has to be assessed on a case by case basis using ETKA and the cars VIN to check what it was new so that you know what you have is correct and then see if there are superseded numbers (one I looked at yesterday had changed five times to a completely different part number) and check what you are looking at matches the part number change transition… it is a minefield. You even get situations where a number cast into a part isn’t a part number but a casting number and it looks like a part number but may have only one digit in the last group of three digits being different. I have been working with VAG part numbers daily for 40 years and still can’t take anything for granted. Sometimes even the information in ETKA is wrong, I had a one month battle with TPS about a genuine replacement Audi A3 which would not function correctly, Audi insisted it was the car at fault but couldn’t say why, eventually I carefully studied the info on ETKA and realised the VIN breakpoint was incorrectly listed by a few hundred cars of which the was one…

TinkerPhil

Sounds like a nightmare

I'm currently torn between these
and these

The car struggles to be worth it at £209 each for new headlamps, at £145 (or whatever the ever changing price on these is) for the Hella (OEM?) replacements - which I think have a 'G' ending on them - would be better but and theseBay ones which have an 'A' ending would be ideal

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The ones on buy car parts are A versions not C but without being at work I cannot tell if they would work, as I said, no company offers the ones you need aftermarket except an odd listing on Euro Car Parts. Be very wary dealing with Buy Car Parts, it is just a front for Autodoc so people keep buying from them once one name has ****** them off. Autodoc has access to a huge range of products from aftermarket companies but they don’t keep stock, almost everything you order they then order from the supplier which ships to their base in Berlin and then to the UK, often taking three weeks at the moment. I do use them because of the stock access and the prices are OK BUT if anything goes wrong, you have nightmares sorting it out. I will use one of my bad experiences as an example, if you fit the headlight and find it is wrong, they will not accept it back as being wrong because you have fitted it and they class that as even opening the box! You have to claim under their warranty system with is almost impossible; a system nearly, but not quite, as unfit for purpose as the TPS UK warranty system.