Glow plugs fault

goe555

Hi all,
I have an irritating intermittent fault involving glow plugs on my 2014Golf sv 1.6 tdi with only 21,000 miles on the clock. Perhaps you might be able to help me track it down.
The em light comes on every so often but not always. VCDS SCANS show intermittent fault with number 3 pressure sensor/glow plug.
I had this changed when car was still under warranty and it seemed to cure fault for a while.
Of course, after warranty had expired the fault popped up again, sometimes number 3 with the pressure sensor, sometimes number 2 glowplug as well.
I've had all the glow plugs replaced now, but every so often the fault shows up again.
Now, if I clear the codes, all is well until after a long run of about 60 miles and the engine is left to go cold. I left it at Birmingham Airport for a week and the em light came on after starting. I cleared the fault with VCDS several times. Rescanning shows the fault still there, but no em light comes on until like yesterday after a 70 mile run and left for 4 hours.
I've just cleared the fault to extinguish the em light again, but fault still shows after a scan but with no em light.
The em light will probably stay off until the next long run.
I do wonder if the new plugs are faulty, or if the fault is elsewhere such as a relay maybe? I'm a bit stuck now other than changing the glow plugs again with less than 1000 miles on them. Thanks for any guidance given.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I have changed a few but no repeat failures, there are different brands used and from memory this has to be entered in the ECU, which brand has been used, Bosch, Hidria or Borg Warner?

goe555

I'll find out. Hopefully it won't be a mixture. Seems odd though the fault only lights the em light up after a long run.