UK Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Have a long story short regarding engine performance on my daughters golf.
Purchased 5 years ago with 148k on the clock. Currently at 198k.
I have personally serviced and maintained it meticulously over the last 5 years.
Have replaced standard wear items, timing chain, HPFP cam follower, water pump, brakes etc. Car use to go very well, would run like a well tuned sewing machine.
Started to get a minor rough idle issue and the odd acceleration stutter recently. You could sit a pint of beer on the engine before, and it wouldn't move, now that's not the case. Only slight rough idle though.
No fault codes being produced. Noticed that the long term fuel trims (LTFT) were down at -17.8 (rich side) although the short term (STFT) was normal, hovering around 0. Also the odd whiff of petrol at start-up in the engine bay. Checked and tested all hose lines for leaks, all okay.
Oil was clean, but didn't smell right. Replaced plugs, air filter, oil and fuel filter. Slight improvement, still not 100%.
1 plug was covered in a brown crystallised substance, another slightly, the other 2 looked good.
After doing all that got the first fault code of P0303 which was misfire on plug 3. Swapped around coil packs and the issue was still seen on plug 3.
Checked all the new plugs and noticed a slight oil "wetness" on plug 3.
Proved that all sensors were working (O2 , MAP etc) and validated that the STFT goes positive with more unburnt air by causing a vacuum leak and also by running the car with plug 3 disconnected. All working okay as far as inputs and outputs to the ECU as far as i could see. (The LTFT being stuck at -17.8 was not clearable, which has me concerned.)

Did a compression test and got the following results with engine cool, all plugs removed and dry:
Cyl 1 = 90 psi
Cyl 2 = 55 psi
Cyl 3 = 55 psi
Cyl 4 = 88 psi

Added tea spoon of oil to each cylinder in turn and got the following:
Cyl 1 = 155 psi
Cyl 2 = 112 psi
Cyl 3 = 100 psi
Cyl 4 = 150 psi

Its obvious that there is an engine wear (rings/piston) issue with these values. Cylinder 3 misfire is more likely due to compression.
Car still drives well, and the average user really wouldn't notice the issue.
The question i would like to ask is my assumption correct and at nearly 200k on the clock, is it worth spending money regarding a rebuild?
Has anyone heard of one of these small TSI engines having a long mileage life? What would you expect to get out of one of these engines?
(Also there is a slight noise now with the clutch thrust bearing, which is more noticeable with the slight rough idle.)

Any help appreciated,

Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure its a 1K1 engine. The VIN is WVWZZZ1KZ8W313nnn (where nnn = 3 extra numbers left out for security reasons)

·
Administrator
32,475 Posts
I can't ID it without the full VIN, a car's VIN is not GDPR relevant data but private message me it is you prefer. The car is a type 1K1 XXX

·
Administrator
32,475 Posts
Vehicle Identification Number. WVWZZZ1KZ8W313535
Model. 1.4 GOLF
Date of production. 18.04.2008
Year. 2008
Sales type. 1K1BL2
Engine Code. BMY
Transmission Code. JXP
Exterior Paint Code. LC5F

If it has been run on normal unleaded fuel, especially the new E10, it is highly likely to have one or more shattered pistons, it is a massive issue with this engine. If you look inside the filler cap you will see it says 98/95.

https://flic.kr/p/2mmEJmX
This means you must used a minimum octane of 98RON (we only get 99RON in the UK) or 95RON "in exceptional circumstances, with reduced performance". Using 95, they are running on the edge of knock all the time and this eventually shatters the ring lands.

https://flic.kr/p/2imyFnu

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Crasher for that. Apologies for the VIN thing as well. I now know its a BMY engine. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,
The issue was a split head gasket between pots 2 and 3. While we had the head off dropped the sump and replaced and honed piston bores as well. Ring lands were okay, but the skirts were scored. This must have got hot at some time in its life. See the attached images.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts