Golf 8 issues

Golf8Daily

I have a Golf 8 since December 2020. I would strongly recommend no one to buy this car.

The software is a joke and there is an endless list of issues with this car.

I even started a youtube channel about it, cause there is an error in about 95% of the drives.

Starting from today, I'll speak english....

If you are considering getting this car, go to youtube and search for "Golf8Daily" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevVYIPRH4HEbgB8cUDFWjA)

KTM

OK, so you have a Fri car, or whatever VW call it, Freitag I suppose. Every manufacturer produces one from time to time, and it is instructional for all us prospective buyers to be aware. But really why don't you foist your grumbles on the Dealer, he's the only one I can think of that can resolve your issues. I don't know the whole history here, but it sounds as if you should have perhaps rejected the car ?

Mike

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The Golf 8 and its software is a major issue and VW acknowledged as such at launch and instructed their dealers to warn customers to be patient whilst updates were rolled out... the only trouble is VW UK dealers have said nothing to customers and will deny any issues if you ask, "no sir/madam, never heard of that one". There is no point rejecting the car for another one as it will be no better for the foreseeable future, VW dropped the ball trying to recover from Diesel gate and playing catch up with Musk and his, his, things... Diesel didn't break VAG but electric cars, when they fail to catch on, will kill many companies who have invested too much in them.

Tight Git

Hi Golf8Daily,

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Golf 8.

I hope this doesn't come across as gloating, but when I hear of issues like yours, it confirms to me my theory that it's best to buy the last car off the production line rather than the first!

I've got one of the last Golf 7.5's and, whilst not completely faultless, I'm 99% happy with it.

So, what to do with your problem?

I'd certainly go back to the Dealer and kick up a fuss, although I appreciate what Crasher is saying and he's in the know.

How about a complaint to Trading Standards, along the lines of not fit for purpose?

If enough people do it, maybe VW will take notice?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
If enough people do it, maybe VW will take notice?

They are painfully aware of the issue, VW in Germany admitted even before the first car was built for a customer that they had huge software issues and dealers were told to warn customers with they did of course! The problem with complaining is that there is little they can do except wait for the software engineers to sort out the problems.

I agree about being an early adopter though, never a good idea but it is something we all have to learn by painful experience.

davidheward

Hi All, I did have problems at first with my Golf 8 however after having a new steering wheel and seat sensor most of my problems seem fixed,only thing left is the phone paring which for some reason has to be done each time I enter the car (I think this could maybe be corrected with a possible software update).
taking into account the mentioned phone problem I am really pleased with my purchase and think all in all the mk8 is better than my previous mk7 and I think things can only get better in time with software updates, My Golf is a 2ltr 150bhp TDI Style reg date January 2021 (build date November 2020).
PS - The new 2ltr TDI engine is so much better than the 1.6ltr which was in my Golf 7 on average in town travel I get about 60mpg, can't wait to see what I get on a long run.

Ranger176

Hi All, I did have problems at first with my Golf 8 however after having a new steering wheel and seat sensor most of my problems seem fixed,only thing left is the phone paring which for some reason has to be done each time I enter the car (I think this could maybe be corrected with a possible software update).
taking into account the mentioned phone problem I am really pleased with my purchase and think all in all the mk8 is better than my previous mk7 and I think things can only get better in time with software updates, My Golf is a 2ltr 150bhp TDI Style reg date January 2021 (build date November 2020).
PS - The new 2ltr TDI engine is so much better than the 1.6ltr which was in my Golf 7 on average in town travel I get about 60mpg, can't wait to see what I get on a long run.
I have a Golf 8 since December 2020. I would strongly recommend no one to buy this car.

I even started a youtube channel about it, cause there is an error in about 95% of the drives.

If you are considering getting this car, go to youtube and search for "Golf8Daily" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevVYIPRH4HEbgB8cUDFWjA)
I got my new Golf 8 on 28 October 2020.. It has been back to the dealer four times, all for software issues. The last time was Friday 7th May, when the vehicle cut out and drifted into the kerb. The issues have ranged from 'Driver Assist' 'Front Sensors' and finally 48v and 12v faults, which is why I broke down.
To cut a long story short, I have rejected this vehicle and await to see what my options are. They have supplied me with a Enterprise hire car for the time being.
I have owned Golfs, all brand new, since 1981. Sadly, this is the worst one I have ever owned.

davidheward

Hi Ranger176,sorry to hear of your problems and hope you soon get sorted out to your satisfaction,as mentioned in my previous post I only have small issues left to solve but as the car I think is the best VW Golf have produced to date and I have had new Golfs before I am hoping VW get things sorted out soon with what I agree seems to be software issues.
As Crasher says (administrator) I also think that VW released the Golf 8 with unfinished poor software and I can only hope that they sort this out as soon as possible before people turn away from the Golf 8 which would be a shame as I have said all other things about the car in my opinion are better than previous Golfs.
I wish you all the best in resolving your situation.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
As Crasher says (administrator) I also think that VW released the Golf 8 with unfinished poor software
VW issued a statement before the cars were even delivered that said the software was incomplete and it would take time to sort out, the UK dealers were supposed to make customers aware but I have not found a single person who was informed.

Ranger176

I am interested to know, how many MK8's are affected? Is it just the Life, the Style, the R-line? GTi? Or, the whole range.

I have 'Rejected' my Golf, and have been told by my dealer (Robinsons VW), that they will support the 'Rejection'. What does this mean for me though? An identical MK8 replacement, (no thanks). A full £28,500 cash refund (doubt that). A used Golf with part refund? No idea.

Has anyone 'Rejected' a VW before?

Thanks

Ranger176

Good morning @Golf8Daily What model Golf 8 do you have? I appreciate some models in Germany are different than the UK. Mine was a eTSI, 7 speed DSG. (Style) Many of the problems with my Golf were the 48v and 12v batteries.

Tight Git

I must say I find it incredible that a manufacturer would sell a model to the public before it was completely ready for release.

It's a good job that Boeing/Airbus don't adopt the same attitude, although on second thoughts... :unsure:

Nawr

My Golf 8 style problems are mainly the ACC which gives dodgy data and sometimes drops to 30 in 40 or national limit. Sometimes does not “recognise“ lower speed limit. Keyless go is sporadic ope and closing the car. We connect also not working properly but VW tell me it’s the fault of the phone (current model iPhone with up to date ios). Now dealing direct with VW as dealership has done all they can to unsuccessfully fix the problems.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The way they explained it I interpreted as all the parts were on order to build Golf 8 from a specific date and the parts to build Golf 7 cancelled so when it was discovered the software was only approx. 75% ready they had no choice but to carry on and build it, the senario is called "lead time" and in the case of a mass produced car this is something akin to doing an emergency stop and three point turn in a mega cargo ship in the Suez canal... it isn't going to end well.

davidheward

So does anyone know when VW anticipate releasing new software as a total fix, I must be one of the lucky ones as not having many problems however the phone pairing issue is a pain.

davidheward

So who has a new Golf 8 and even with the mixed software problems still likes there choice,please give the model etc of the Golf 8 you own we can then maybe see which models are more likely to suffer from software and or other problems.

Smith

I received my MK8 GTE on Wednesday, and so far no real issues. Really pleased with it.

Had a hard time linking my weconnect profile, and the Nav suggests German addresses before UK ones. Hoping the Nav learns as it goes?

I’ve not paired my phone through Bluetooth, just direct with the wireless Apple CarPlay and it connects every time with no issues.

davidheward

Hi Smith,it's strange how problems differ with the software one would think they would all have the same problems,my Sat Nav works good they have just built a new roundabout near us and already it comes up on the Sat Nav I was well impressed, the Apple Carplay also works with me.
Mine has the IQ Lighting in the past I have always struggled to see clearly at night (maybe my age) but these are excellent.
Hope all goes well for you.

Last edited: