Golf 8 issues

Alanmccallum

Hi, I’ve had my MK8 GTD since March and no real issues with software at all, however I have a problem with the headlamp seal (eyebrow). The clip holding it in place has broken off. Simply broken off. No damage to the vehicle. It just started flapping around as I was driving along the road. I only had the car a month so took it to the nearest VW dealer. They told me it wasn’t covered under warranty but VW would pay 70% of the repair as a good will gesture. They still want a grand to fix it!!! At the moment I’m arguing with VW so I’ve joined this forum to see if there’s been anything similar.

Ranger176

Hi, I’ve had my MK8 GTD since March and no real issues with software at all, however I have a problem with the headlamp seal (eyebrow). The clip holding it in place has broken off. Simply broken off. No damage to the vehicle. It just started flapping around as I was driving along the road. I only had the car a month so took it to the nearest VW dealer. They told me it wasn’t covered under warranty but VW would pay 70% of the repair as a good will gesture. They still want a grand to fix it!!! At the moment I’m arguing with VW so I’ve joined this forum to see if there’s been anything similar.
Hi Alan
Is your car brand new? Surely there is a three year guarantee? The headlamp seal is clearly a fault.

Alanmccallum

The car is brand new. The argument I’m having is they say it’s been an external influence. I’m saying so the wind and rain has been enough to break it? Surely that means it’s not fit for purpose? As I say I’m in discussions with the garage and VW.

Ranger176

Alan...I hope you fight this to the bitter end!
If the door handle came loose and fell off, or the front grill came off, it's down to VW to repair it for free.

davidheward

hi Alan,also hope that you get sorted with VW,at present most of the people who I speak to are happy with the purchase not to say that some do not have problems with the software I spoke to a gent that has the same model as me bought at the same time but hes key less entry will not work yet mine is perfect,I don't think yet there is any answers as to why some cars are ok and not others.

Alanmccallum

hi Alan,also hope that you get sorted with VW,at present most of the people who I speak to are happy with the purchase not to say that some do not have problems with the software I spoke to a gent that has the same model as me bought at the same time but hes key less entry will not work yet mine is perfect,I don't think yet there is any answers as to why some cars are ok and not others.
Cheers

AngryAndy

I have a Golf 8 since December 2020. I would strongly recommend no one to buy this car.

The software is a joke and there is an endless list of issues with this car.

I even started a youtube channel about it, cause there is an error in about 95% of the drives.

Starting from today, I'll speak english....

If you are considering getting this car, go to youtube and search for "Golf8Daily" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevVYIPRH4HEbgB8cUDFWjA)
I’ve had problems since day one with my Golf 8 R line. It’s been in for repair five times and the garage has spent 38 days trying to sort them out. Window not opening and keyless entry and trim problems have been sorted but still it doesn’t connect to Apple CarPlay first time every time - the screen goes blank and I have to reboot the infotainment system. The worst problem though is the ACC which occasionally switches between mph and kph at 20 second intervals (eg in a 50mph zone it will alternate between 50 and 31mph). I have video evidence of this but although the mechanic agrees there is a problem VW say he has to experience it himself on a test drive before they will fix it. It’s just been in for a couple of weeks and he couldn’t reproduce the fault so now I have to drive to the garage when it happens if I am free and the garage is open so he can witness it. They are changing from a VW garage to a Dacia garage in June. What can I expect if I try to reject the car? I’ve had it six months and it’s done about 5000 miles. Will the Dacia garage take it back? My fourth Golf. I was a fan but now will never buy VW again.

davidheward

wow, that's not good Andy had mine about the same time would have thought that the software would have been the same, Can Vw not try reinstalling the software (am no mechanic so maybe not) as I have said there are no real problems with mine and apart from add-ons you would have thought that the software would be the same as yours.
I do hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:

Houstonceng

My Golf8 delivered in mid April seems to be generally OK, except that the speed limit indication show some 30mph roads as 20mph and some as 45mph. There are no 45mph limits in the UK. The UTR has intermittent Wi-Fi contact problems and I don’t think the eco mechanisms works as well as on my previous Mk7 petrol DSG.

David H

I picked up my ex-demo GTE at the end of February and I'm very happy with it. However the WeConnect is full of bugs and far from intuitive!

Why car makers can't subcontract software to Google, Apple or Amazon is beyond me as they all suffer from hard-to-use products. My previous Jag XF had similar software annoyances.

Latest workaround. If you get stuck in Guest mode. Change user/add driver/ fill in email and pw/log in/enter PIN.

The German support team must be very busy!

davidheward

Hi David H, It seems to me that most owners of the Golf 8 have a few software bugs however are still like me happy with the new Golf, I do agree that the WeConnent could be a lot better in the information given, we had a Vauxhall Corsa SE as a second car and there equivalent to WeConnect was lots better you would have thought that VW would have knocked spots off Vauxhall.
Having said that apart from the odd time WeConnect does not connect when it does all the features work ok.
Do you have the IQLIGHTS if so what do you think of them,I think this was one of the best upgrades I took they are amazing and the best lights of any other car I have had (not cheep though)

David H

Yes to IQlights. I'm getting old and I really appreciate these on twisting, fast main roads. I'm sure that all cars will have these in a few years.

vedubbed

My 2 month old Golf 1.5 eTSI 150 R-Line DSG suffered a catastrophic electronic failure this evening. By the time I left it at the side of the road the only things working were the brakes and the door locks. Good luck with that one VW

Kooglesac

I am currently in the process of rejecting my style 1.5 etsi 150dsg. The first problem was the 48v battery warning which resulted in a new altenator. Only had 1 warning about 48v battery since the replacement. Software problems are constant ranging from acc unavailable front assist unavailable. Speed changes that are not correct for the road I am on. 12v battery warning/error that Vw cannot diagnose but luckily for me when I was driving to the garage to leave it in for this repair the warning happened again and I was able to show the technician yet when I lifted my car they said nothing could be found wrong. Also have x2 car problem which is in need for an update date and they will call me when it is available. I have had the car emergency brake on the motorway for no apparent reason which was scary. Luckily there was no one behind me. I really like the car when it is working correctly though. As for the dealership they said they rang car change to see if I could have it replaced like for like and they were told no as the car I would be replacing it with would likely have the same issues. I have rang cc and whilst talking to them they heard an audible error for the 12v battery. Had to ring Vwfs and they have started a complaint and rejection which will be investigated and could take 8 weeks. If I had known about these software issues I would not have purchased this car.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I know the reasons why VW went ahead with the Golf 8 launch but they should have pulled the plug long before they dug themselves a production hell hole and carried on with the Golf 7 for another year or even two whilst they ironed out the problems, if someone had the cojones to order the components for at least another years production of the type AU it would in retrospect been seen as a bloody good call and no one in their right mind would have criticised them for it in early 2020 with the hell the world was falling into and they would have avoided the huge damage the Golf 8 has done to their reputation; who would now trust a self driving VW?

Kooglesac

I was hoping that if I got a replacement that it might be error free as I hear there are other cars out there without problems but it looks like I'm going to have a fight on my hands to get a replacement. cc when I rang the first time said that they couldn't see why I shouldn't get a new car like for like. As for the car when it lets me drive error free is really enjoyable and that's why I would like to stick with a golf. if I had to change I don't know what I would change to.

David H

I've also had a sudden slowdown on the motorway, though not an emergency brake. I thought the system had misread a road sign. I was in cruise control and approaching roadworks. My next problem is a broken windscreen which looks like a glass fault as the split forms a peculiar circular path round the camera housing. Almost certainly this will end as an insurance claim as VW techs "don't have anything to do with windscreens"!