Golf 8 issues

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Modern windscreens are a big worry, my windscreen people have a lot of stress with them. One of my customers needed a new screen in his one year old A4, over an grand!

David H

Modern windscreens are a big worry, my windscreen people have a lot of stress with them. One of my customers needed a new screen in his one year old A4, over an grand!
My gte is only 6 months old and its screen will also be well over a grand.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
There are eight different screens depending on model, these vary from £350.51 to £487.99 but obviously plus installation and then gadget setup.

David H

Gosh! Difficult to see how 3 hours fitting more than doubles the price. I pay £140 excess in any case.

David H

Can this tiny, less than 1mm spot, be stone damage and caused the split?

Attachments

• 20210608_112728.jpg
    20210608_112728.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 7

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can see the impact at just before twelve o’clock near the top of the crack. A couple of years ago I was asked to fit a dash cam in an S5 which replaced the lower part of the mirror. I wired it in and removed the mirror lower section and started to engage the (customer supplied) camera and the screen went crack from the mirror down, on close inspection the screen had a tiny chip in the black area and the crack had propagated from this on the outside, not on the inside. We had it all sorted at our own cost and still the customer was a complete *@&# about it and refused to pay the bill… Looking at your pick it may have picked up across two chips.

David H

Many thanks for your input. I wasn't going to argue as £140 isn't bank breaking. I actually love this car. It's my 3rd Golf in the last 15 years and a great drive. More fun than the Jag XF that it's replaced.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t worry, I was just pointing out the details to help others. Personally I quite fancy an XF estate, just as long as they don’t use a #&(‘% BMW engine in it…

David H

The Jag is a nice car. My wife isn't sure about the Golf. We might have gone for an I-Pace but we regularly do a 200 mile journey and on a cold rainy night it wouldn't have quite made it. My first car, bought in 1966 was a 1949 VW Beetle. Cable brakes, no synchro, 6v electrics. A bit different to the gte!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Lovely, that could have been built during the REME management during Major HIRST’s tenure, today it would have people sell their children to buy it; this is me (in red) with my 72 when I had just found it… 40 years later it is feet behind me in the garage about to go for a full dip strip rebuild to perfection later this year… the chap next to me is still my business partner and the Savannah Beige 69 is still his. The chap who took the picture is Mark and his 66 is out of shot but he still has it… a bug is for life.

https://flic.kr/p/2iGHyEF

David H

Clearly I'm a little older than you! Yes -TYF 92 was imported by a British Army Major and converted to a rhd. The snows of Germany had melted off his boots and pinhole rusted the floor, resulting in an upwards cold, fierce shower onto my girlfriend's mini-skirted legs when hitting a flood one night. But you're right - of all the cars I have owned since then, my emotional attachment to that bug has never been bettered.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is a 72 1302 LS automatic registered in 73, it was ordered by a Major in the REME the year before he retired but in right hand drive and he drove it around Germany for a year with a glider box van on the back before he brought it home... I stumbled across it in Cornwall whilst searching for an Automatic beetle and found this one languishing in the back of a filling station garage with a broken gearbox.

David H

Mine is a 72 1302 LS automatic registered in 73, it was ordered by a Major in the REME the year before he retired but in right hand drive and he drove it around Germany for a year with a glider box van on the back before he brought it home... I stumbled across it in Cornwall whilst searching for an Automatic beetle and found this one languishing in the back of a filling station garage with a broken gearbox.
Well the very best of luck with your restoration project. I'd love to have kept mine but I needed cash, so I sold it for £50 and bought a lhd Fiat 600 for £5. Then went to the US for a year and drove a company '67 Chevy Impala station wagon, another drastic change!

David H

Fantastic!
But I'm beginning to worry that people on this forum may be wondering what's happened to our Golf mk8 topics!

Lolly89

Hi all, newbie here so apologies if I’m posting in the wrong place.
I’m after some advice please.

Long story short, got my Golf style in Aug 2020 and I’ve had ongoing issues with it since Oct, the main ones being: front, travel, and emergency assist being unavailable and constantly pinging to alert me because as soon as it’s unavailable it disappears again. Front assist braking when there’s a clear road in front of me, electric seats either not turning on or turning themselves off after a short while into driving.

I’ve had the car into the dealership twice for updates and they seem to help with the issues for a short while, but before long the assist alerts are back on every journey and now my heated seats automatically come on whenever I start the car. Also having issues with App connect but I’m not as frustrated by that.

I’ve told the dealership that I’ve sadly lost faith in VW and want to return the car to them (very saddening as I was a big VW and Golf fan). They’ve offered me a different model at cost price and when I said I didn’t want to drive another VW they suggested I contact customer services.

Any advice on what I can do moving forward?
I got the car on finance with VWFS and worry I won’t be able to reject the car because of the length of time I’ve had it. (I only recently became aware of this option).

Or am I being unreasonable and should I continue to take the car in for them to review/update? I know there can be teething problems with new models but it’s just so frustrating, particularly because these issues are so well documented, yet VW act as though they’ve never come across them before!

Anywho sorry for the long post! Any advice welcome :)