Golf 8 issues

Houstonceng

One of the black plastic trims on the rear tailgate window of my two month old Golf 8 eTSI Estate has come loose. I think they are just glued on. Took it back to the dealer today. Cannot be fixed until next Monday. Meanwhile they stuck it on with masking tape to stop it falling off completely. I’m worried about the intelligence of VW technicians. They put the masking tape over the gap between the tailgate and the quarter panel.. it would make opening the tailgate a bit difficult !

Houstonceng

Should have added that they said they needed to check if it would be done under warranty. Bl**dy well ought to be as the car is less than 60 days old. Either that, to the dealer should. Parts shouldn’t fall off £32k cars after a few weeks.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Parts shouldn’t fall off £32k cars after a few weeks.

I covered the launch of the Golf 5 for a magazine and whilst I was inspecting it I brushed the door trailing edge seal with my leg and it fell off. I checked all the others I could get at and they were all the same and still are. The problem is fast assembly clip together for production, things that are easily fitted usually fall off.

Smithy11232

So I bought a 2.0 TDI R-line end of April and I've drove a rented car more than the golf after endless problems linked to software issues.

The first was when I opened the car door the speakers made a static sound throughout the car to which they identified the problem but couldn't fix it there awaiting VW to come back with a fix so got the car back until a solution is given to the technician.

Not longer later the dash where the speed clocks are and the entertainment system would cut off as if the car reboots mid driving and switches the handbrake on like the car thinks Ive just started the car this only happens at a low speed less than 10 mph to which the technician said the handbrake would never turn on after 10 mph

The first time they had it for 7 days to test drive it to and from work they gave it me back and said they are confident after a small software update it should of fixed the problem.

5 days after having it back it did the same thing and now there keeping it for 2 weeks because they need to see the problem 1st hand in order to notify VW headquarters of the problem and potential fix

When VW rang me he told me there is only one other car on the system showing similar issue to the one I'm experiencing bit there was no fix available, but when I asked the manager on the phone when booking the car in for the second time for the dash problem and told him what the guy had said about no fix he told me that ain't true there isn't another on system

They have had the car since Monday so have another week but they need to do some more miles than there doing because I have we connect and can see there daily usage of the car and to and from work isn't gonna be a good enough test drive

Smithy11232

Forgot to mention that the first problem with the static speaker sound he said they think it's a SOS button problem

Mike 1959

I have a Golf 8 since December 2020. I would strongly recommend no one to buy this car.

The software is a joke and there is an endless list of issues with this car.

I even started a youtube channel about it, cause there is an error in about 95% of the drives.

Starting from today, I'll speak english....

If you are considering getting this car, go to youtube and search for "Golf8Daily" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevVYIPRH4HEbgB8cUDFWjA)
So I've had my golf since June 2020 had and issue with the front screen misting up I contacted my dealer who said because of the wet weather this was normal I tried to explain that the only way I could keep the screen clear was to have the air con on I told them that I wanted it looking at booked it in then received a call telling me there was a recall on the air con unit when they carried out the repair they also found a broken wire I have now got a service booked for July 2021 again received a call telling they need the car for two days update the software also another thing that has started to happen is the interior light behind the driver now comes on stays on I turn it off and it comes back on then off then on then off I video it last night for over a minute in the stopped filming I also get a lot of errors coming up parking sensors not working and front assist limited if I had a choice I would return the car not happy £23000 pound for rubbish

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Alexandra Schulman the editor of Vogue magazine has written in today’s Sunday Mail about her Golf 8, whoever approved production and cancelled Golf 7 parts production needs to go if they already haven’t. They could easily have use the usual excuse and blamed COVID and got away with making the 7 for another year, hardly anyone would have complained. I think they were so obsessed with id3 and 4 that they forgot about their core product.

Sam&Anne

So I've had my golf since June 2020 had and issue with the front screen misting up I contacted my dealer who said because of the wet weather this was normal I tried to explain that the only way I could keep the screen clear was to have the air con on I told them that I wanted it looking at booked it in then received a call telling me there was a recall on the air con unit when they carried out the repair they also found a broken wire I have now got a service booked for July 2021 again received a call telling they need the car for two days update the software also another thing that has started to happen is the interior light behind the driver now comes on stays on I turn it off and it comes back on then off then on then off I video it last night for over a minute in the stopped filming I also get a lot of errors coming up parking sensors not working and front assist limited if I had a choice I would return the car not happy £23000 pound for rubbish
Did you buy the vehicle new in June 2020?
May I ask you for the type and spec details of the car please?

ah184

So who has a new Golf 8 and even with the mixed software problems still likes there choice,please give the model etc of the Golf 8 you own we can then maybe see which models are more likely to suffer from software and or other problems.
I have a 70 reg golf mk8 manual R Line 150ps petrol which I’ve had now for 4 months. I use it for work and just been on holiday and clocked up quite a few miles. So far it’s been fault free apart from a little rattle in the armrest which I’ve fixed myself. Time will tell though. I still don’t understand the sport mode because the throttle response doesn’t feel any different to me to any of the other modes.

Mike 1959

So who has a new Golf 8 and even with the mixed software problems still likes there choice,please give the model etc of the Golf 8 you own we can then maybe see which models are more likely to suffer from software and or other problems.
Hi I have 1.5 tsi life has been back for a recall on the air conditioning in October been back again July 2021 for another recall for software problems had a néw rear interior light fitted electrical fault so the update seems to have done some good the climate button now works when you push as before May had to push it 3 or 4 times before it worked also the touch screen seems to be quicker at responding

davidheward

I have a 70 reg golf mk8 manual R Line 150ps petrol which I’ve had now for 4 months. I use it for work and just been on holiday and clocked up quite a few miles. So far it’s been fault free apart from a little rattle in the armrest which I’ve fixed myself. Time will tell though. I still don’t understand the sport mode because the throttle response doesn’t feel any different to me to any of the other modes.
Hi ah 184,glad to hear you have no major problems with your Golf,when I put mine into sports mode each gear selected will go up to higher revs than in standard mode therefore having better acceleration,hope that makes sense difficult to explain.

35mphspeedlimit

Ordered the eTSI 1.5 R-Line last week but will be lucky to see it before the end of the year. Hopefully all of the software issues will be sorted by then!

Hazza1906

I’ve got a my 8 gti and the crash sensor warning keeps cutting in and applying the brakes ok when your pulling away but scary at 50 driving through a tunnel, think I’m taking it back tomorrow

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
One of my customers hates modern cars even more than I do, he won’t go newer than an 87 Audi Coupe! Years ago I convinced him to let me fit an immobiliser as I was losing sleep over it being stolen, there are about 25 left in the UK. He was reluctant as he hates computers in cars but I brushed it off, then the other week he sent me an email extolling what I had done to the car over the years and said the next day he was driving up with the subframes for a Coupe quattro we are building for him and then going on holiday to enjoy the car. The car arrived two days later on my recovery wagon as the immobiliser packed up the next morning. I had installed it so deep that it took me two days to change and so he had to go on holiday in a Golf 8 hire car; he hated it. All the time the steering was interfering, the brakes kicking in and the dash coming up with all sorts of warnings that were alien to him… he could not wait to get the GT back.