Golf 8 issues

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Mrs C was relived she didn’t program them when she read it in the Sunday mail this morning, she did express a little schadenfreude at her rivals expense as it is what she does for a living but for other supermarkets and warehouses, not Ocardo.

Mike 1959

I’ve got a my 8 gti and the crash sensor warning keeps cutting in and applying the brakes ok when your pulling away but scary at 50 driving through a tunnel, think I’m taking it back tomorrow
Think that's a good call shouldn't be doing that hopefully they can sort it out for you other than that are you happy with the car?

Sciman

Got a golf rline, was fine to begin with as didn't drive much during lockdown, now twice into a dealer awaiting a third visit and one VW technical response visit. Yes the infotainment system needs rebooting with either a slow upstart or map dissapears. The noise when driving is coming from the bushes where it squeaks on low bumps in the road. Thrid issue was and still is engine noise (rattling and grinding), and gears crunching into place, replaced the dual mass fly wheel after 3k miles, but still same issue. Other than that. looks nice and handles fine...:rolleyes:

35mphspeedlimit

Got a golf rline, was fine to begin with as didn't drive much during lockdown, now twice into a dealer awaiting a third visit and one VW technical response visit. Yes the infotainment system needs rebooting with either a slow upstart or map dissapears. The noise when driving is coming from the bushes where it squeaks on low bumps in the road. Thrid issue was and still is engine noise (rattling and grinding), and gears crunching into place, replaced the dual mass fly wheel after 3k miles, but still same issue. Other than that. looks nice and handles fine...:rolleyes:
Hi Sciman

When did you take delivery of your R-Line? Is it a manual or DSG? Haven't heard of the bushes issue for a long time. Had a similar problem on my Mark 1 TT Roadster! Hopefully all gets sorted for you.

Chorleywoodmag

Just started researching golf 8 issues. Had an Rline for 3 weeks. Got the known SOS warning but now the touch screen just says loading settings.
I intend to try a factory reboot to see if that clears the issue. Theses aren't cheap cars !

Mike 1959

I'd take it back its a problem that they have with the software mine has a recall for a software update to fix the same problem

JamesMk5

Reading all of these issues I feel almost comforted having an older car, knowing there is less to go wrong on it. I just feel bad for all you chaps who are having to use their time with VW and the dealers, to try and resolve an issue they knew was going to happen due to poor production time line management. Hopefully VW will be quick on their feet to resolve these software issues.

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe one day someone will write a book about it like the emissions debacle. I know a few details about what happened and a theory of my own about what could have prevented it.

Ranger176

I am currently in the process of rejecting my style 1.5 etsi 150dsg. The first problem was the 48v battery warning which resulted in a new altenator. Only had 1 warning about 48v battery since the replacement. Software problems are constant ranging from acc unavailable front assist unavailable. Speed changes that are not correct for the road I am on. 12v battery warning/error that Vw cannot diagnose but luckily for me when I was driving to the garage to leave it in for this repair the warning happened again and I was able to show the technician yet when I lifted my car they said nothing could be found wrong. Also have x2 car problem which is in need for an update date and they will call me when it is available. I have had the car emergency brake on the motorway for no apparent reason which was scary. Luckily there was no one behind me. I really like the car when it is working correctly though. As for the dealership they said they rang car change to see if I could have it replaced like for like and they were told no as the car I would be replacing it with would likely have the same issues. I have rang cc and whilst talking to them they heard an audible error for the 12v battery. Had to ring Vwfs and they have started a complaint and rejection which will be investigated and could take 8 weeks. If I had known about these software issues I would not have purchased this car.
I had exactly the same issues as you. 12v battery issues, front assist unavailable, etc, etc! This went on for three months!
Cut a long story short, I rejected the vehicle in June and got £23,500 refund from the original price of £28,000.
I now have an Audi A1 S-Line. It's ok, but it doesn't have AAC, Side Assist, front parking sensors, and other feature that are standard on the Golf 8, Style.
Please don't laugh, but I'm test driving a 150 PS Style (not the eTSI version) tomorrow 6th Aug, I do miss my Golf.
Am I nuts to bin the Audi?:unsure:

Ranger176

Hi all, newbie here so apologies if I’m posting in the wrong place.
I’m after some advice please.

Long story short, got my Golf style in Aug 2020 and I’ve had ongoing issues with it since Oct, the main ones being: front, travel, and emergency assist being unavailable and constantly pinging to alert me because as soon as it’s unavailable it disappears again. Front assist braking when there’s a clear road in front of me, electric seats either not turning on or turning themselves off after a short while into driving.

I’ve had the car into the dealership twice for updates and they seem to help with the issues for a short while, but before long the assist alerts are back on every journey and now my heated seats automatically come on whenever I start the car. Also having issues with App connect but I’m not as frustrated by that.

I’ve told the dealership that I’ve sadly lost faith in VW and want to return the car to them (very saddening as I was a big VW and Golf fan). They’ve offered me a different model at cost price and when I said I didn’t want to drive another VW they suggested I contact customer services.

Any advice on what I can do moving forward?
I got the car on finance with VWFS and worry I won’t be able to reject the car because of the length of time I’ve had it. (I only recently became aware of this option).

Or am I being unreasonable and should I continue to take the car in for them to review/update? I know there can be teething problems with new models but it’s just so frustrating, particularly because these issues are so well documented, yet VW act as though they’ve never come across them before!

Anywho sorry for the long post! Any advice welcome :)
Your issues are ident to mine. I rejected my Golf 8, 150 eTSI Style, on 1st June. VW Customer Services told me that the contract is between me and the dealership, and it is they that must sort it. NOT VW UK.
I got a partial refund £23,500, and now own an Audi A1 S-Line. It's OK, but doesn't have half the spec, which the Style had.

I must be nuts, as I miss the Golf 8 Style, and am test driving one tomorrow! I'll be forever worried that the same faults will occur.

I'll be interested to know how you got on.

Doris

A long time Golf fan, but boy have they got it wrong with the mk 8. Owned one for over a year now, the car is good to drive in the old fashioned sense of driving, but the software is beyond a joke. I can't wait to get out of it and will never touch another VW again. It's had a whole new infotainment system and CarPlay still doesn't work more than 50% of the time, SOS cuts out, parking sensors freeze, the infotainment screen never starts at the same point every time I start the car and today it's taken to disconnecting my phone. It's spent more time back at the dealer than all of my previous 5 Golfs put together. VW UK do not want to know - not invented here syndrome rules at Milton Keynes. This is beyond a joke and I really can't face another day of it's idiosyncratic mode of operation If VW want to play the "All new All connected" game they should hire some software designers who know what they're doing, not the local kindergarten. So fed up and frustrated i could happily drive it into the nearest skip but unfortunately can't afford to so. Very envious of an Audi A!

Harry bochacoch

VW issued a statement before the cars were even delivered that said the software was incomplete and it would take time to sort out, the UK dealers were supposed to make customers aware but I have not found a single person who was informed.
This software issues need's more attention from the media and the
watchdog including safety issues which involves vosa and insurance companies

Harry bochacoch

I am not aware any of the problems are safety related but then I don’t drive one
These vehicles should have been withdrawn from sales they are not fit for purpose, When you are getting messages on the dashboard telling you that the vehicle has a break fault and wipers not working properly do you think oh it's okay to use, VW themselves tell customers to use the vehicle and has NO intension of resolving the issues. These major software issues will become more headlines in the next couple of weeks, insurance companies are not happy about the issues if you are using the vehicle and has a break fault.

Mrs W

These vehicles should have been withdrawn from sales they are not fit for purpose, When you are getting messages on the dashboard telling you that the vehicle has a break fault and wipers not working properly do you think oh it's okay to use, VW themselves tell customers to use the vehicle and has NO intension of resolving the issues.Thiis major software issues will become more headlines in the next couple of weeks, insurance companies are not happy about the issues if you are using the vehicle and has a break fault.
My 11 month old golf mark 8 1.5 life has been with the dealer for almost 2 months now with multiple software problems - the park pilot system, stop start and auto hold work sporadically, windscreen wipers not coming on until car travelling at 5/10 mph etc. Electronic parking brake fault showing. It had previously had the fuel delivery unit replaced. I've owned it since mid April and its been with the dealer for longer than I have driven it. I bought It from an independent garage. The VW dealer has supplied a hire car which they are now talking about withdrawing. They say my car is driveable and that they can clear the warning light showing but it will come back on. How do i know if it really is a problem with the brakes or just needs the update! I am not going to drive it while there is a break fault showing and windscreen wiper problems. They say it needs a software update but can give me no idea at all when that will be. I'm getting nowhere with VW customer service. I've had lots of VWs in the past but this one is a disaster.

Ranger176

An a1 is just a puffed up up Polo
I agree, very basic. It lacks basic things like front sensors, which even a Golf Life has.
Cut a long story short, and as mad as I may be, I've ordered another Golf 8 Style, but not the eTSi version. Delivery is in the New Year sometime. I'm hoping that two years down the line, MOST software issues have been sorted.:unsure:

Ranger176

My 11 month old golf mark 8 1.5 life has been with the dealer for almost 2 months now with multiple software problems - the park pilot system, stop start and auto hold work sporadically, windscreen wipers not coming on until car travelling at 5/10 mph etc. Electronic parking brake fault showing. It had previously had the fuel delivery unit replaced. I've owned it since mid April and its been with the dealer for longer than I have driven it. I bought It from an independent garage. The VW dealer has supplied a hire car which they are now talking about withdrawing. They say my car is driveable and that they can clear the warning light showing but it will come back on. How do i know if it really is a problem with the brakes or just needs the update! I am not going to drive it while there is a break fault showing and windscreen wiper problems. They say it needs a software update but can give me no idea at all when that will be. I'm getting nowhere with VW customer service. I've had lots of VWs in the past but this one is a disaster.
I rejected my previous Golf 8 after four attempts to fix it. VW customer services were useless. They told me that the contract is between you and the dealership, not them! If I have trouble with the next one, I won't even bother to call them.
As I mentioned above, I have ordered a new Golf 8 Style, hoping that come the time they build it, things will be a bit better.

There must be hundreds of thousands of Golfs in Germany, are they having the same issues?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
These vehicles should have been withdrawn from sales they are not fit for purpose, When you are getting messages on the dashboard telling you that the vehicle has a break fault and wipers not working properly do you think oh it's okay to use, VW themselves tell customers to use the vehicle and has NO intension of resolving the issues. These major software issues will become more headlines in the next couple of weeks, insurance companies are not happy about the issues if you are using the vehicle and has a break fault.

As I said, I don't drive one. A least it isn't a Chevy Bolt where the manufacturer is telling you not to charge it more than 90% or run it down less than 75 miles (therefore an effective range of circa 100 miles) and when on charge, not to be left near any flammable structure!