UK Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Golf 8 since December 2020. I would strongly recommend no one to buy this car.

The software is a joke and there is an endless list of issues with this car.

I even started a youtube channel about it, cause there is an error in about 95% of the drives.

Starting from today, I'll speak english....

If you are considering getting this car, go to youtube and search for "Golf8Daily" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevVYIPRH4HEbgB8cUDFWjA)
I have a Golf8 Life, bought it new March 2021, great car to drive but the software is a nightmare so much so my wife refuses to drive it as nothing works as it should and finds distracting when driving so obviously dangerous!! There are too many issues to mention, l would be writing for hours! It will change from radio mode to CarPlay automatically without being prompted. I have to connect my iPhone Bluetooth every time l get into my car which on all other Golfs l have had is automatic. This is jus two of many issues plus static through the speakers which VW are going to replace in September. The main dealer has had my car back twice but still unable to rectify the many software issues. Needs a complete new system refit as l believe my present software package is corrupted!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Golf8 delivered in mid April seems to be generally OK, except that the speed limit indication show some 30mph roads as 20mph and some as 45mph. There are no 45mph limits in the UK. The UTR has intermittent Wi-Fi contact problems and I don't think the eco mechanisms works as well as on my previous Mk7 petrol DSG.
That is also happening to my car, I've had some roads that are a 40mph saying it's 60mph - and getting a different reading on the same road on th opposite direction. Also I hate it when my Golf tries to manoeuvre my car, also alerts me to drive in the centre of the lane when I'm doing so! So many issues with this car, I'm regretting having it. The car is currently with the dealer and they are installing new updated software!!

Also had issues with my key fob not responding to my car, it drove me mad - I tried to get in my car for half an hour but could not, so had to get someone to drive me 5 miles to pick up spare key!! The key is very intermittent and has does this a few times now - dealership will check my keys too as have to carry both at all times due to this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had reply back from dealership on Golf MK8 (21 plate) they updated a piece of software - they said it might make a small difference. They said there are quite a few cars with software problem but they are still waiting for VW to confirm a fix solution and will recall cars that are affected to get this new software updated.

They can't find a fault on my keys though, so will need to monitor it and hopefully take it to dealership when it happens and they are open!
They will show me how to stop my car taking over and control steering too! :D

I wish this car had a few buttons and was not too digital!

·
Registered
4 Posts
VW issued a statement before the cars were even delivered that said the software was incomplete and it would take time to sort out, the UK dealers were supposed to make customers aware but I have not found a single person who was informed.
I told the dealer last year that I wouldn't buy another VW because the software in my VW Beetle was rubbish. Yup you guessed it, he pointed me in the direction of the new Golf Mk8 and assured me the software was much improved. Worst purchase I ever made. Software is a joke, I would be embarrassed to be a VW software engineer. Oh and the starter motor died at traffic lights when the car was just 6 months old. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Dealer just shrugs his shoulders and calls it bad luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I make it part of my start up routine (on a Mk 7.5) to switch off the ridiculous stop/start system.

I understand lots of (most?) other drivers do the same!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I understand lots of (most?) other drivers do the same!
Ah Tight, I see you are having a laugh this early on a Saturday.
Good man.
Have a pleasant day and if you are out and about with your window down you will be able to hear the quadrophonic cacophony of metallic carnage at the traffic lights.
Lovely. 🤨

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been using the stop / start abortion?
Six months is a bit early, maybe just a concidence........🤔
When it comes to cars I'm not technically minded. I can find my way around infotainment software (useless in my Mk8 Style) but I don't know how under the bonnet works. Can I ask what's the perceived problem with stop/start (other than a faulty motor stranded me lol!)? The starter motor was replaced and it's been OK since 🤞 Is it better to turn it off?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
When it comes to cars I'm not technically minded. I can find my way around infotainment software (useless in my Mk8 Style) but I don't know how under the bonnet works. Can I ask what's the perceived problem with stop/start (other than a faulty motor stranded me lol!)? The starter motor was replaced and it's been OK since 🤞 Is it better to turn it off?
It's Deja Vu all over again - but as you are finding your way and nobody is born with knowledge (apart from Crashwell) perhaps have a look.
Switching this abomination off is simple every time you start the engine and no big deal. Not switching it off is a personal choice :rolleyes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please feel free to ignore any previous comments I have opined about the start stop abomination because I only have half a working life in auto engineering and I am now thankfully retired. Instead perhaps read the comments of those experts who have had an entire life in the game.

Crasher Jan 2018
Theoretically it reduces emissions in the government testing cycle but the new RDE1 figures show the savings are nowhere near those envisaged. in reality it buggers the starter and battery and the more it gets used the less fuel it saves as the poor alternator is cranking its guts out trying to charge the battery backup. Not only that but a decent size AGM battery like the one I have sitting behind me (Yuasa YBX115), retails at £250. Not only that but stop/start really irritates me, when test driving a customer's car I turn it off.

Crasher
Feb 2018
Stop/start was first introduced by VAG in 1981 and dropped soon after as it was realised it caused excessive wear and tear and made no discernible difference to overall tailpipe emissions, the reduction is offset by the increased electrical drain and the re-heating/cooling of the cabin. I was working on these cars in the early 80's and everyone hated it but you could turn it off with the flick of a switch and leave it off, that is now against the rules. I have heard of two cases this winter where a car stopped and would not re-start because the battery was flat, one was a customer of ours and the other a journo for Autocar magazine.

KeithUK
Feb 2018
When I was working one of the guys bought a new Audi A3. I asked him how he was coping with the stop/start system. He said its a nuisance he turned it off in the settings.

Crasher
July 18
Stop start systems, if they are progress... stupid idea when VAG first did it in the 80's, still a stupid idea. The cost savings in fuel are wiped out by higher maintenance costs.

Crasher October 2018
All of a sudden the trend we have seen now for years where a battery would last a decade or more has gone, the funny thing is this started to become apparent about the same time early gen2 stop/start cars came out of warranty, apparently the mood is buoyant in the battery and starter motor replacement industry, they have not seen such business in living memory. In the early 80's VAG brought out a few cars with SSA, stop start automatic. This was abandoned within a few years due to the huge increase in warranty claims on starters, alternators and batteries. If you think AGM battery life is crap at about four years, wait until lots of you (not in this life, me) are driving around in electric cars which need a new battery at seven years, yes better you say but at £10000 plus fitting, that is if the car hasn't incinerated you first...

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ot-mode-report

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...nagers/9747648

This isn't restricted to Tesla, Lithium Ion batteries are a crazy solution to a problem that does not exist

https://www.motortrend.com/news/byd-...an-gtr-211017/

Just down the road from where I live and it happened again last week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-36401455

We are going down another crazy ill-considered diesel disaster type road again and still no one can tell me what the authorities are going to do in 20 years time with millions of tonnes of discarded batteries, it is as insane as Elon Musk!

KeithUK
October 18
The stop/start is a pain in the backside it's been talked about many times if you search the forum.

Crasher Nov 2018
The stupid SSA system wrecks flywheels, starters and batteries, that's apparently environmental friendly, so they say.

Crasher Nov 2018
Or get it programmed out, not difficult... often I do wonder about progress, most of it is short sighted box ticking to keep those people who whinge quiet.

To be continued - due to the missive being too large :oops:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Continued,

Crasher Dec 2018

Stop start should be turned off full stop, it causes accelerated starter motor and ring gear wear/failure and stresses the battery BUT as a garage owner I love stop start, it is a good money earner for me especially as modern VAG cars are extraordinarily sensitive to poor battery performance, drop a volt and all hell breaks loose, Christmas tree dashboard....

Crasher Dec 2018

SSA kills the ring gear, starter motor and battery which to be honest isn't rocket since to work out, effectively in the average journey to work you must be accelerating the systems wear by dozens of times. Anyway you don't need any daft gizmo, a competent operator can code it out in a few seconds with suitable software.

Crasher Jan 2019

Being as he is an Aussie he does not know that the system is a legal requirement imposed by the EU but he is right in that it is BS and causes accelerated wear and has naff all effect on overall emissions, it just shows a short term reduction at points of high traffic concentration such as busy junctions and pedestrian crossings outside schools, overall it causes an increase in emissions spread out over a wider area.

KeithUK May 2019

The stop/start system VAG vehicles use is another technical crap, some models you can disable it in settings.

Crasher October 2019

I think we should all have stop start, even retro fitted... I mean look at the benefits, you are reducing the amount of Co2 emitted by 20% (Society of Automotive Engineers) in the typical urban journey... so of the 20% of UK Co2 emissions that is from ALL transportation we could save 20% on the 20% percent which is from road traffic that could be fitted with stop start and reduce the UK's total global contribution of 1%, yes 1%. So a reduction of tailpipe emissions of 20% of 20% of 1%, that adds up to a huge.... bugger all...... Meanwhile China opens a new coal fired power station every week... BUT in the meantime garages like myself are selling more (very expensive Absorbent Glass Matt) batteries and the sales of starter motors and flywheels from damaged gears and worn out alternators has never been higher, for the motor trade it's a boon! But we are all doing our bit to make an example to China, India, USA, Mexico, Brazil et al who pump out some much Co2 that the UK does not even show up on official pie charts.

KeithUK Nov 2019

The stop/start system is a pain in the backside. There are loads of problems with that system which has been talked about many times in here if you search.

Crasher Nov 2019

It was VAG's invention in the first place, introduced back in the early 80's but it drove people mad and wore out the flywheel, starter and battery so they dropped it. It was reintroduced by EU law for emissions compliance but can be coded out as Sam says, using a suitable diagnostic system such as VCDS. Normally I get very uptight about the removal of emissions control systems but in this case I agree as I don't think they work and actually cause more pollution due to accelerated wear, yes the cut actual tailpipe emissions but that is just an EU box ticking exercise.

Crasher Jan 2020

You should see what it does to the flywheel ring gear, never seen ring gear wear like it in 40 years!

Crasher Jan 2020

Today I had an Audi stop next to me at a red light and the engine stopped, no more than a second later it started up again as the driver rolled forwards and stopped, then it cut out again, then the car crept towards again so the engine started and then stopped as the car did and did it again and stopped... then the lights changed and she must have sat there for five seconds before waking up as I saw her in my mirror start to move away... How much fuel was consumed by the alternator putting back the charge from those five start ups? Stop Start MAY reduce local tailpipe emissions and I have no idea how that can be proved or disproved, so how can you qualify your statement that it has reduced emissions "globally"? What I can tell you is I have sold a lot more batteries, starters, alternators and flywheels since it became mainstream... I should not complain at parts and workshop sales going up but all I can see is more environmental lies. A plain and simple fact for you that cannot be argued against using official facts, if you turned off a big switch that shut down UK PLC (a New Labour slogan I detest) completely, it would reduce global Co2 emissions by 1%... so please tell me what is the point of the UK doing sod all? And don't give me the "setting an example to the rest" argument, we give that on a number of fronts such as human rights and China takes a LOT of notice as they open a new coal fired power station each week...

Gazwould June 2020

It's not a question of liking it or not , in my opinion SS causes mechanical carnage .

Crasher June 2020

Stop start is a box ticking political exercise to reduce tailpipe emissions and like electric cars, it just moves the problem elsewhere but it fulfils the 5 year plan all politics seem to follow... keep the screaming heads quiet so you can get on running an economy.

KeithUK July 2020

The Stop/Start system is one of the worst things VAG ever fitted they cause more problems than it fixes.

Crasher August 2020

One thing the SS had done was ruin the dual mass flywheel. SS is a mistaken EU box ticking exercise that causes more damage than it prevents.

Crasher August 2020

The stop/start feature is a useless disaster which kills the battery and destroys the starter motor and flywheel ring gear... plus it doesn't reduce emissions; it is an EU bureaucrat box ticking exercise to keep the Co2 believers happy.

Gazwould August 2021

This so called Eco device is very bad for the car and you will be replacing a lot sooner than normal the battery , ring gear , timing chain tensioner and timing chain if applicable and alternator .
Offsetting if any fuel savings.
It's a multi component mechanical wrecking ball .

Sam.
Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Continued,

Crasher Dec 2018

Stop start should be turned off full stop, it causes accelerated starter motor and ring gear wear/failure and stresses the battery BUT as a garage owner I love stop start, it is a good money earner for me especially as modern VAG cars are extraordinarily sensitive to poor battery performance, drop a volt and all hell breaks loose, Christmas tree dashboard....

Crasher Dec 2018

SSA kills the ring gear, starter motor and battery which to be honest isn't rocket since to work out, effectively in the average journey to work you must be accelerating the systems wear by dozens of times. Anyway you don't need any daft gizmo, a competent operator can code it out in a few seconds with suitable software.

Crasher Jan 2019

Being as he is an Aussie he does not know that the system is a legal requirement imposed by the EU but he is right in that it is BS and causes accelerated wear and has naff all effect on overall emissions, it just shows a short term reduction at points of high traffic concentration such as busy junctions and pedestrian crossings outside schools, overall it causes an increase in emissions spread out over a wider area.

KeithUK May 2019

The stop/start system VAG vehicles use is another technical crap, some models you can disable it in settings.

Crasher October 2019

I think we should all have stop start, even retro fitted... I mean look at the benefits, you are reducing the amount of Co2 emitted by 20% (Society of Automotive Engineers) in the typical urban journey... so of the 20% of UK Co2 emissions that is from ALL transportation we could save 20% on the 20% percent which is from road traffic that could be fitted with stop start and reduce the UK's total global contribution of 1%, yes 1%. So a reduction of tailpipe emissions of 20% of 20% of 1%, that adds up to a huge.... bugger all...... Meanwhile China opens a new coal fired power station every week... BUT in the meantime garages like myself are selling more (very expensive Absorbent Glass Matt) batteries and the sales of starter motors and flywheels from damaged gears and worn out alternators has never been higher, for the motor trade it's a boon! But we are all doing our bit to make an example to China, India, USA, Mexico, Brazil et al who pump out some much Co2 that the UK does not even show up on official pie charts.

KeithUK Nov 2019

The stop/start system is a pain in the backside. There are loads of problems with that system which has been talked about many times in here if you search.

Crasher Nov 2019

It was VAG's invention in the first place, introduced back in the early 80's but it drove people mad and wore out the flywheel, starter and battery so they dropped it. It was reintroduced by EU law for emissions compliance but can be coded out as Sam says, using a suitable diagnostic system such as VCDS. Normally I get very uptight about the removal of emissions control systems but in this case I agree as I don't think they work and actually cause more pollution due to accelerated wear, yes the cut actual tailpipe emissions but that is just an EU box ticking exercise.

Crasher Jan 2020

You should see what it does to the flywheel ring gear, never seen ring gear wear like it in 40 years!

Crasher Jan 2020

Today I had an Audi stop next to me at a red light and the engine stopped, no more than a second later it started up again as the driver rolled forwards and stopped, then it cut out again, then the car crept towards again so the engine started and then stopped as the car did and did it again and stopped... then the lights changed and she must have sat there for five seconds before waking up as I saw her in my mirror start to move away... How much fuel was consumed by the alternator putting back the charge from those five start ups? Stop Start MAY reduce local tailpipe emissions and I have no idea how that can be proved or disproved, so how can you qualify your statement that it has reduced emissions "globally"? What I can tell you is I have sold a lot more batteries, starters, alternators and flywheels since it became mainstream... I should not complain at parts and workshop sales going up but all I can see is more environmental lies. A plain and simple fact for you that cannot be argued against using official facts, if you turned off a big switch that shut down UK PLC (a New Labour slogan I detest) completely, it would reduce global Co2 emissions by 1%... so please tell me what is the point of the UK doing sod all? And don't give me the "setting an example to the rest" argument, we give that on a number of fronts such as human rights and China takes a LOT of notice as they open a new coal fired power station each week...

Gazwould June 2020

It's not a question of liking it or not , in my opinion SS causes mechanical carnage .

Crasher June 2020

Stop start is a box ticking political exercise to reduce tailpipe emissions and like electric cars, it just moves the problem elsewhere but it fulfils the 5 year plan all politics seem to follow... keep the screaming heads quiet so you can get on running an economy.

KeithUK July 2020

The Stop/Start system is one of the worst things VAG ever fitted they cause more problems than it fixes.

Crasher August 2020

One thing the SS had done was ruin the dual mass flywheel. SS is a mistaken EU box ticking exercise that causes more damage than it prevents.

Crasher August 2020

The stop/start feature is a useless disaster which kills the battery and destroys the starter motor and flywheel ring gear... plus it doesn't reduce emissions; it is an EU bureaucrat box ticking exercise to keep the Co2 believers happy.

Gazwould August 2021

This so called Eco device is very bad for the car and you will be replacing a lot sooner than normal the battery , ring gear , timing chain tensioner and timing chain if applicable and alternator .
Offsetting if any fuel savings.
It's a multi component mechanical wrecking ball .

Sam.
Hope this helps. :)
Yes well I think that gives me my answer. 😄 Easy decision, I'm switching it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the Golf8 ETSI ten months ago. It has been returned to VW on six occasions for a litany of software problems from climate control to no satnav or phone. It has been recalled and had a new part fitted from Germany. It died three weeks ago as I was driving home. Lucky not on a smart motorway. Towed back to the dealer and had a new battery fitted. On the way home another fault occurred.. Have now traded it in and got a Golf 7.5. It is not as high tech but it works and I wont be paying the software upgrades when the G8 is out of warranty. Everyone I have dealt with at VW has been brilliant but whoever thought this car was ready for the market should hang their heads in shame. Hope everyone else gets their problems sorted.. Maybe mine was an extreme case and I ended up with the proverbial lemon......

·
Administrator
32,579 Posts
whoever thought this car was ready for the market should hang their heads in shame
It was bad management. VW were so wounded about Diesel gate (disproportionately in hindsight) they took their eye off their core product, the Golf, and concentrated too much on ID3 and 4. No one would have cared if the Golf 7 had carried on for another model year to give the software teams time but all the tooling for Golf 8 had been built, parts runs initiated and Golf 7 part production cancelled… and then came along COVID which really screwed up the proces of management, a perfect storm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Golf Mk 8 1.5 Life purchased August, after circa 1200 miles , auto-hold works sporadically, not great fun trying to move away from a busy junction and the car doesn't move forward! Back to the dealer twice and today been told that another software fix is 'due to be published' but who knows when so 'drive with the auto-hold off'. Have e mailed VW CEO and MD, await their replies. My last 2 new vehicles were Audi A3, no problems whatsoever. literally scheduled services and that was it. It didn't even occur to me to check any forums....I was buying a new car, why would there be any issues, big lesson, now learnt. Appears this has been an issue with some VW models since at least 2016...I am not confident reading some of the posts here. Naive as it sounds, I am hoping that they can implement a fix....what a load of hassle. Notice the Guardian newspaper's consumer champion had feature on a 'duff Audi' recently and they wanted people to e mail in similar experiences.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
My brother in law has a Mk 8 1.5 TSI. Several times a fault code has appeared W48. Which VW says relates to the reserve battery. The fault says ‘Stop Driving immediately, contact your dealer’. On the latest occasion, the AA saw the fault code and recovered the vehicle and returned the car to Capitol VW at Merthy Tydfil. They kept the car for several weeks. The master technician ran diagnostic checks (or so he says) compressed the data into ZIP files and sent those off to the VW IT boffins, who could find no faults. Which they try to blame it on the users restarting the car, which resets the cars brain and deletes the fault codes . All seems a bit far fetched to me?

·
Administrator
32,579 Posts
Sam, you can add a couple to your list. We are fitting alternators and battery monitoring units like never before, it also appears Yuasa 9000 batteries fail rapidly on stop/start cars but if they were purchased from TPS you have to take the car to the marque appropriate dealer who then turns around and refuses to honour the warranty because it isn’t a genuine battery even though it was purchased from TPS which is owned and run by VAG UK! In some cases the battery monitoring units are dying so often they are now on back order from Germany apparently due to the chip shortage.

101 - 120 of 168 Posts