Golf 8 issues

Sam&Anne

Yes indeed SC, I shall add this but the list is now so extended that I have to break up the reply post into instalments because I am bending forum limits apparently 🧐
Waiting to cross a main road recently on my way to yet another jab session I was dismayed at the cacophony of mechanical carnage occurring around me at the crossing lights, however I took some inner satisfaction in knowing that folk still in the game like yourself are on a nice little earner. :)

Deano

I’ve had problems since day one with my Golf 8 R line. It’s been in for repair five times and the garage has spent 38 days trying to sort them out. Window not opening and keyless entry and trim problems have been sorted but still it doesn’t connect to Apple CarPlay first time every time - the screen goes blank and I have to reboot the infotainment system. The worst problem though is the ACC which occasionally switches between mph and kph at 20 second intervals (eg in a 50mph zone it will alternate between 50 and 31mph). I have video evidence of this but although the mechanic agrees there is a problem VW say he has to experience it himself on a test drive before they will fix it. It’s just been in for a couple of weeks and he couldn’t reproduce the fault so now I have to drive to the garage when it happens if I am free and the garage is open so he can witness it. They are changing from a VW garage to a Dacia garage in June. What can I expect if I try to reject the car? I’ve had it six months and it’s done about 5000 miles. Will the Dacia garage take it back? My fourth Golf. I was a fan but now will never buy VW again.
I have had the same issues with mine it’s been in to my local vw 4 times now and it’s going back mine range from bad plastics door cards Ect rattling vibrating from software problems mine has had battery 24v and 12v warnings acc warning front assist broken wires in the door cards my brakes are grinding like the pads are gone seat sensors back and front dsg gearbox forgets to change and I have to back right off and set off again not good when joining motorway pulling on to a national speed limit road and my vw garage just fob me off and mine is a mk8 r line 2020 it’s just a year old and just 11 thousand miles on it I had a mk7 before and was super happy with it hence the upgrade but I wished I hadn’t bothered now poor service from vw and they just keep you in the dark like we’re all dummies and we do know are own cars

BuddahofBakerStreet

My Golf 8 Estate, which I bought in April has had constant issues with numerous pings/bleeps/alerts etc for various systems deciding to not work, and being "unavailable" these ranged from the SOS system, rear collision alert, parking sensors, rear camera etc. I spoke to my dealership and was advised that there was a major software update available which addressed all of these issues. They did the update on Monday, and whilst it's only a few days since the update I have not had any re-occurence of any issue. That said, the Infotainment system is still slow to respond, but that's most likely due to an under spec'd processor more than software.

dave Hastings

So who has a new Golf 8 and even with the mixed software problems still likes there choice,please give the model etc of the Golf 8 you own we can then maybe see which models are more likely to suffer from software and or other problems.
I have a Mk8 style 1.5 tsi (150). Endless software issues. Had a new steering wheel, had updates. Now sat nav has a mind of its own - really frustrating as is the frequent waiting for the screen to load and operate. I driven for 15 mins before I could use any of the functions 😡

Harry bochacoch

The Golf mk8 is not fit for purpose quite a shambles of a vehicle which customers will lose thousands in the Market value and there is no way you can get the software solved.

ah184

I have a 70 Reg 150 ps petrol R Line Manual and the only problems I have is that the sat nav takes 1-2 minutes before its operational from startup but works absolutely fine after that. ACC works perfectly and also I don’t suffer the mph/km problems others have. Just did a long 360 mile long run and was a pleasure to drive and got 65 mpg travelling at 70 mph+ most of the way in eco mode. However no-one seems to be able to tell me what sport mode does as it feels absolutely no different to any of the other modes available.

Houstonceng

I have a Style mild hybrid with the DSG “semi-auto”. Still getting the usual 42km warnings in 30mph areas and a few warnings about an “SOS system error and need to go to the dealers” That cures when you switch off and restart. The latest S’Ware update doesn’t seem to fix anything. Now keeps asking me to confirm that it’s me or a guest on start-up, but that disappears when ignored. It changed a few settings that had to be changed back - no hassle.

davidheward

I must be one of the few that would buy the same VW Golf again, main is one year old 04/Jan/22 and yes I did have problems on day one which needed the steering wheel changing and the front heated seat sensor changing, there was a slight software problem mainly as mentioned by others the speed sign sometimes picking up a 42Km, In all the software has been OK for me (there is sometimes a problem with the phone pairing when entering the car) so quite pleased.
What I don't get is that some owners have lots of problems and like me others do not when the software in all VW Golfs should be the same except for individual add-ons.
Again I would go for the same car again (Golf Style DSG Diesel) the fuel consumption is very good mainly in the 60MPG range the comfort level is best yet and this is the third VW Golf I have had, just my opinion.

peter_26

Hi everyone,

I have also software issues with my Golf 8. I'm wondering if there's a united platform where we could report this problems and get back our money or other solution than waiting to a new software release that could or could not resolve our problems. Has someone thought of speaking to the press or making a social media movement to be heard? I've talked to volkswagen customer service but the answer I get from them is that I have to wait to the release and they don't even know when is it going to take place...

I hope this nightmare could end up soon!

SadClouds

I've talked to volkswagen customer service but the answer I get from them is that I have to wait to the release and they don't even know when is it going to take place...

I think everyone knows about software issues and there is no ultimate fix. This is very common in the industry, when management decide to release a new product and want to do it as quickly and cheaply as possible. Never buy new car models that have not yet proven themselves. This is going to get worse as more features/components become dependent on software. When it comes to non-safety critical system (infotainment, navigation, lighting, etc) manufacturers can cut corners - reduce testing, outsource development to 3rd parties, etc. Ultimately the product they release is riddled with many bugs and it can takes years to find and fix them.

peter_26

Hi there,

The thing with this minor issues is that we are paying money for a service that we can't have due to the lack of tests that Volkswagen are making in their cars. If my parking sensors doesn't work well, it's a service that I'm not going to use and I think that I can expect a 27k€ car to give me those services. The last time I took my Golf to the mechanics the problem was about changing the oil in a less than 6000 km car but also I had problems with the speed limit system, are we going to wait until someone has an accident with this cars?

I am very disappointed, it's clear to see that Volkswagen isn't spending money neither in testing nor in software engineers, they don't know when the next upgrade is going to take place... I don't think it's fair...

Has someone has the contact of Volkswagen Germany? I'll really appreciate that

Regards!
I think everyone knows about software issues and there is no ultimate fix. This is very common in the industry, when management decide to release a new product and want to do it as quickly and cheaply as possible. Never buy new car models that have not yet proven themselves. This is going to get worse as more features/components become dependent on software. When it comes to non-safety critical system (infotainment, navigation, lighting, etc) manufacturers can cut corners - reduce testing, outsource development to 3rd parties, etc. Ultimately the product they release is riddled with many bugs and it can takes years to find and fix them.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I should imagine that for the last 18 months or so, testing by humans together with other humans has been a little taxing!

john higgy

Hi All, I did have problems at first with my Golf 8 however after having a new steering wheel and seat sensor most of my problems seem fixed,only thing left is the phone paring which for some reason has to be done each time I enter the car (I think this could maybe be corrected with a possible software update).
taking into account the mentioned phone problem I am really pleased with my purchase and think all in all the mk8 is better than my previous mk7 and I think things can only get better in time with software updates, My Golf is a 2ltr 150bhp TDI Style reg date January 2021 (build date November 2020).
PS - The new 2ltr TDI engine is so much better than the 1.6ltr which was in my Golf 7 on average in town travel I get about 60mpg, can't wait to see what I get on a long run.
So who has a new Golf 8 and even with the mixed software problems still likes there choice,please give the model etc of the Golf 8 you own we can then maybe see which models are more likely to suffer from software and or other problems.
This is the first golf i have ever owned and I can honestly say it ill be the last. I have had nothing but problems with the cars infotainment system
and with the electronics completely shutting down, even whilst driving along. A completely blank screen. then starting back up all on its own.
The car is a 2021 golf GTD and has plenty power and torque so is good to drive but the battery runs out of power after sitting with the engine off and ignition on for 15 mins which is another pisser. It does this with absolutely no warning, I've had to jump start it twice already.
The first time it did this it went into limp mode and I had to be followed by the AA into Arnold Clark vw Wishaw at Law who by the way I advise no-one ever deal with. They had my car in there for a week and did nothing before telling me to come pick it up and drive it home still in limp mode. (Buch of fkn cowboys.)
When I refused to do this the car sat there for a another 2 weeks until I contacted VW head office who must've then contacted them because I got a call the very next morning to come pick it up as it was fixed. If this garage cant fix it with an update which costs them nothing then they are not interested. There is a communication problem with these new golfs between the cars infotainment system and its own comp. it comes up all the time when I run my OBD11 diagnostic checks on it. Now I don't know if its wiring, plugs the fuse box or even the infotainment control module itself. Only vw know that, and they do know, they just wont admit it. All they do is give updates which don't work. VW knew these faults were there when they released these cars. They must've known which is why ill never buy VW again.

Harry bochacoch

Anyone who buys the Mk8 from a third party dealer !!!! VW will not fix it under warranty !!!! Because there is no update available to fix the problems on the MK8.

Summerhey

My new mk 8 150tsfi was fine for around 4 weeks then the satnav would not load up - 'please wait' is constantly on the screen.
The garage diagnosed that the main processor was faulty and replaced the whole box of tricks. 1 week later this packed up and the garage has is replacing the whole processor box again - anyone else had these problems?