UK Volkswagen Forum banner

Golf Plus Luna TDI D 2009 judders when accelerating

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Crasher 
#1 ·
Hi there, I'm Dan - just joined - hoping for some help and wisdom from other VW owners who have had similar issues. Recently bought a 2009 Golf Plus Luna 1.9 TDI - had been trouble free, but now has serious issues ...

Single owner, serviced from new by VW dealer, 112,000 miles, no problems until October 2018
Car stalled and would not restart, towed to VW dealer.
Diagnosed tank fuel pump as faulty and put in new pump, seal and fuel filter.
Car seemed fine at first, then on long drive I noticed slight engine ‘stutter’ under acceleration.

This got steadily worse so that now when trying to accelerate in low gears there is severe juddering (like someone who is learning to drive and does bunny hopping when trying to start).
If you drive with very little accelerator you can avoid a lot of the juddering.
Once it gets up to speed in a higher gear it seems ok
But if you accelerate – then first nothing happens – then you get a surge.

VW dealer did not know what the problem was and was costing a lot, so I took it to the local garage.
No fault came up on the computer
They thought it was the injectors – so sent them for testing, they all came back fine.
Then they thought it must be the computer – but that has come back fine too.

Based on reading threads in this board I see that dual mass flywheel, MAF sensor, EGR, injectors/wiring, cracked cylinder head are all listed as possible causes.
The garage say “dual mass flywheel was one of the first things we looked into . The conclusion was that it was a common issue for certain Golf models but not yours . Also this would not have any relation to the Fuel pump issue in the tank.
Unless the vehicle has badly overheated at some point i would be surprised if the cylinder head has cracked
The fuel injectors have been tested and were good
We have disconnected the MAF sensor and EGR valve road tested the vehicle but the fault was still present thus eliminating them from our enquires
As for the wiring that is possible but unlikely as it would bring up a fault when running diagnostics
The mechanic did suggest that if the failure of the pump in the tank was as a result of a component part breaking up then there is the possibility that debris is in the fuel system”

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Post approved.

#6 ·
It has taken me a while to get an answer out of them
It looks like this is a dead end
They insist there are no error codes - and no previous error codes stored in the system - because they would have been cleared by the garage.

#7 ·
Problem hopefully solved.
The local garage reckons they have found the cause of the problem
The new fuel pump fitted by the VW dealer was incorrectly installed!
They had discounted this as a possible cause - because done by the VW dealer with genuine VW part
In they end they decided to take a look and discovered it was incorrectly installed

#8 ·
Do you mean the one under the back seat? I see these plumbed up the wrong way around all the time, the pipes lie perfectly in the wrong position and the annoying thing is, the car still runs but badly. The first time I had it I spent ages tracking it down, I knew the RAC had replaced the pump and so just ignored it until desperation forced me to check, I could have screamed!

#9 ·
I don't think so - it is the tank fuel pump that was incorrectly fitted
But it seems to have the same effect as you experienced - or maybe worse ....
They reckon the fuel pump has been damaged ...again... so need a new one

#10 ·
VW dealer claims engine won't run when fuel pipes swapped

Correction - I'm trying to learning fast - been watching You tube videos
So the fuel pump you access under the back seat is the in tank fuel pump
So it sounds like I had exactly the same problem as Crasher

But the VW dealer is claiming there must be some mistake ...
that it is impossible to connect it the wrong way around - and that if you did the engine would not run.
Can anyone give me some information to "prove" to the VW dealer that it can be installed the wrong way around - and does run - but badly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.