Golf TSI - PLEASE HELP ME - P2293 Fault Code

Graham2013

Hi Guys & Girls,

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on the issue I'm having with my 1.4l GT TSI. After a recent Engine Swap (Timing Chain Failure), I purchased and fitted a fully working & running Tsi Engine.
I've Gone to start the car, and it barely fires up, but does! When Running, it has a very lumpy idle, wont rev above 3000 and stalled the other day when left idling.

I read that Camshaft sensors, Fuel Pressure Regulator Serial Numbers all need to match, so have swapped them all over from the last engine to this one.
Ive also read about a Possible "High Pressure Fuel Pump" issue, including the cam follower, so today i went and removed to have a look and all seemed very good.

Fuel Filter under the car has also just been replaced to narrow down this issue, but with no effect.
I've deleted the code after work, but the code keeps coming straight back, and at the moment the car isn't driveable at all, so and help to point me in the right direction would be seriously appreciated.

HERE IS A LINK TO A RECENTLY UPLOADED VIDEO OF MY CAR & THE PROBLEM - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Q2xICX1YM

Thanks,

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It was another BLG that you fitted? Did you ensure a fuel pump cam follower was fitted? On a BLG it is of the roller tappet design, not solid.

Graham2013

It was another BLG that you fitted? Did you ensure a fuel pump cam follower was fitted? On a BLG it is of the roller tappet design, not solid.

Hi Crasher,

Yes, indeed it was a BLG 1.4 engine. I removed the high pressure fuel pump today to inspect, and did see that it was a bearing roller. All seems in very good clean working order down there :-D

Any Ideas where the next step to check would be?

Thanks,

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
VAG Error Code: 18725/008851
EOBD II Error Code: P2293

Fault Location:
Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276) - Mechanical Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Power Loss.

Fuel Pressure too Low.
Intake Camshaft Failure.

Possible Solutions:
Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) for Fuel Pressure.
Check for bent/squeezed Fuel Lines.
Check Fuel Pressure System for Leaks.
Check Fuel Filter & Filter in Fuel Pump.
Check Fuel Quantity supplied by the Fuel Pump (G6).
Check Pressure Limiting Valve installed on the high pressure fuel rail when applicable.

Special Notes:
When found in 2.0l TFSI:
Check Fuel Pressure
Rest of World (RoW) check Technical Product Information (TPI) 2014143, the Intake Camshaft might have a worn out Fuel Pump Cam.
North American Region (NAR) check Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 2015153 (01-09-03 > 15-10-01 > 15-10-02), the Intake Camshaft might have a worn out Fuel Pump Cam.
North American Region (NAR) check Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 2018183 (20-08-01) and verify the High Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) Part Number see G247 "High Thrust Sensor" - There is a difference! for additional information.

Volkswagen Factory Service Bulletin OBDII Code P2293

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Graham2013

Did you disconnect the fuel supply lines on inner wing?

Hi Crasher,

Thanks for the input, but after double checking, i can confirm these are connected.
I have a guy coming out tomorrow for £55 (Couple of hours) to diagnose (VAGCOM) all sensors, fuel pressures etc...
I will update accordingly!!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but are they the right way around? I have seen it before where people have connected these fast fit connections the wrong way around.

Graham2013

Yes, but are they the right way around? I have seen it before where people have connected these fast fit connections the wrong way around.

I Personally haven't disconnected these once, and I've done an engine swap on this Golf. I think the problem started after i did the engine swap (Timing Chain). Something I'm missing...

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I know that feeling, got one myself at the moment, I KNOW I have everything right but I can't find the problem but it is one I have caused, the problem is you can became blind to what you have done as your brain says "Done that", I have passed my headache to another company and after 6 weeks he won't answer the phone!

Sometimes it helps to stand back and take a deep breath then start again at the beginning with the basics so fuel, spark, air in/out, compression, timing, if all these are in place it will run so your problem is in there.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I know that feeling, got one myself at the moment, I KNOW I have everything right but I can't find the problem but it is one I have caused, the problem is you can became blind to what you have done as your brain says "Done that", I have passed my headache to another company and after 6 weeks he won't answer the phone!

Sometimes it helps to stand back and take a deep breath then start again at the beginning with the basics so fuel, spark, air in/out, compression, timing, if all these are in place it will run so your problem is in there and NEVER assume anything, always check. A friend of mine on another forum has a good saying "assumption is the mother of all **** up's"

Graham2013

Ok, So....

Guy came out today, Plugged in to VAG-COM and read a few bits. The fuel pressure is meant to be 50 BAR but its only showing a fluctuation running between 5 & 6 BAR, so would that be something to do with the High pressure fuel pump? Could it be anything else? its just that when i took the HPFP off and visually looked and fiddled about, it all seemed to look in very good condition...

Also noticed 008196 - Intake Manifold Flap; Bank 1
P2004 - 000 - Stuck Open
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01110000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage 113281 km
Time Indication: 0

Not sure what that's all about??

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The inlet manifold, did you swap it over from the old engine? These fuel, pressure readings, are these taken with the engine running or at least cranking?

Graham2013

The inlet manifold, did you swap it over from the old engine? These fuel, pressure readings, are these taken with the engine running or at least cranking?

Hi Crasher. No, the inlet manifold was already on the new engine I fitted, so haven't removed or replaced it.
The Fuel Readings were done with the engine running at idle...

Graham2013

Check the manifold flap actuator moves, it may just need basic settings, group 134 off the top of my head.

Yes, actually the guy said that its probably come up as we disconnected the vacuum pipe from the engine cover, so that isnt the issue. Just the fuel pressure problem now.
Thank you

Graham2013

Hi Guys,

I may've found the issue, but not 100% sure. May someone please confirm that the high pressure fuel pump I have on my BLG 1.4 TSI Engine is the correct one.
The code on the High Pressure Pump is 03C127025R - The code on the engine is BLG

Thanks in advance

Graham2013

No, 03C 127 025 T, the R is BLN and BLF, solid tappet not roller, lack of stroke.....

So would this explain the whole complete issue for my engine not running correctly? p2293 issue

Surely my cars ecu, will not be able to read the Regulator that is on this (03c127025r) HPFP then. I shall purchase and fit one asap, and let you know if this will be a fix