Hardwire a Dash Cam

CraigT

Hi

I want to fit a Nextbase dashcam to my 2021 Arteon using a kit from Halfords that piggybacks off another fuse and have 2 questions:

1. Which fuse is best to piggyback from?

2. Where can I find an earth point to connect to? I can't see anything obvious in or around the fusebox area in my car.

20210727_181131.jpg

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Because it is a CAN BUS car it is not easy to do this, personally I would use a CAN BUS adapter wired to the back of the radio plug so you can have permeant live, ignition live, reversing signal and an earth.

Sam&Anne

I have been around a bit but I still entrusted both our cars for hard wired dash cams to a colleague in the auto electrics game. The job he did was simply perfect and after over two years, not a hint of a problem.
Leave it to the experts IMO.

Edit
Ours were done "live" at my request. They can be switched off at the camera when necessary.

Last edited:

jmj

I've done this on my Passat (and my Octavia before it). Used the rear wiper fuse as I wanted a feed switched with the ignition. Works fine. There was a stud I connected on to behind the panel to the left side of the dash (visible when you open the passenger door) - carefully take that off to route it into the fuse box area and you'll hopefully see one on your Arteon.

jmj

Well yes.. if you want a perm live, choose a different fuse.
My dashcam still wakes up on its internal battery if it thinks it's been disturbed.

Iannc

Hi Craig I have don just this yesterday. with a nextbase cam. Initially I used the 40Amp fuse (red) in the middle of the box on the right. This is for the contrail locking and is permanently live, so you will have to use the parking mode on your dash cam. But I found that every time I closed the door the cam recorded a protected file. So to day I switched to the 20A fuse (Yellow) 2 sockets to the left. This is for the cigarette lighter / power sockets and is switched in the position shown. This is also the one I used in my Passat.