Headlight Washers

Mirez

Hi all!
So the question is headlight washers - do all the Mk2s have them?
I have a mk2 with the cutouts in the bumper however they dont activate in the same way as my mk7 golf or EOS. I have extensive VW experience and the CECM isnt coded for headlght wash so either a) they are fitted differently to the rest of the PQ35 platform or b) unlike other VW models, all Golf plus's have the cutouts? c) Someones halfhinched my gubbins!

CJJE

Headlight washers are part of the Winter option, or Xenon option. If you don't have those options (and you can examine the option sticker stuck to your car or your service manual to check) you just have the fillers stopping up the holes in the bumper!

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Headlight washers aren't worth installing as they use loads of water and aren't very efficient. I have the caps bumper in my Golf, as CJJE says they are part of the Winter package.

SpikyBob

Headlight washers aren't worth installing as they use loads of water and aren't very efficient.
Just out of interest the latest type of headlight washer systems are very good imo. Definitely stops build up of salt spray deposit that dries on lights in winter dimming their output. Worth having if speccing a car from new or fixing if the bits are there! They only operate once every ten actuations of windscreen washers and then only when the dipped headlights are on. There is a larger washer fluid reservoir to compensate but I can't say I'm having to top up much more than in previous cars.

Last edited:

Mirez

Thanks guys, Every other VW I have seen only had them if the washers were fitted else you got a nice smoth bumper, seems odd they fit caps only on the plus!

Just out of interest the latest type of headlight washer systems are very good imo.

I completely agree, if you only do short jouneys then they arent so great but mid to long jouneys in winter they deffo help. You can also change the number of on times and duration with VCDS, the mk7 Golf does a 0.5 sec pre wash and then a 1.5 second go after another 1s. That little pre wash seems to make a noticeable difference to how much dirt they remove.

CJJE

Just out of interest the latest type of headlight washer systems are very good imo. Definitely stops build up of salt spray deposit that dries on lights in winter dimming their output. Worth having if speccing a car from new or fixing if the bits are there! They only operate once every ten actuations of windscreen washers and then only when the dipped headlights are on. There is a larger washer fluid reservoir to compensate but I can't say I'm having to top up much more than in previous cars.

I quite agree, and always have them added when I choose the spec of a new car (and the heated seats are handy too on winter mornings!) When the headlight washers operate at night, you can see the improved vision from the cleaned headlights immediately.

Chris