HELP!!! Going mad !

webbnig

Hello, new to the forum, so hoping someone out there can help me maintain my sanity, all I want to do is install a dash cam on a 2016 Passat Estate RHD that we bought on Monday, I am having no luck releasing the glove box 'brake' can anyone help me please ?

SpikyBob

If it’s like a Golf maybe, the sliding pivot has a sort of tongue at the end which when pushed to one side unclips releasing the arm and the lid will drop down, allowing access to the screws to remove the glovebox. Behind is the fuse box and if it’s Golflike, then its a yellow 20 A fuse in position 40 best to piggyback off. Feeds the 12 volt sockets in console/boot, interestingly this has two vertical positions one has ignition switched 12v and the other has permanent 12v supply.
Best check with a meter if this what you’re doing as Passat may well be different!

webbnig

Hello SpikyBob,

Thanks for your help, slightly different on this design as you don't have to remove any screws to remove the glove box, as once the box has dropped down, after pulling down the 'brake' it says release two clips to access fuse panel, so with your tips I will try pushing it instead of pulling and see what happens, thanks for the pointer as to which fuse to use as piggy back.

All in all , thanks for your help.

SpikyBob

You’re welcome - sorry I can’t be Passat specific! Have you got the kit with 12 to 5 volt USB adapter inline? Mine was about £10 from eBay and working well. Good luck!

webbnig

Sorry, been a while to reply, yes thanks I have all the kit etc. Have succeeded in accessing fuse panel now, all I need is for someone in the know to tell me which fuse to use to piggy back from to install a dash cam please.Because the last time I tried all that was happening every time I pulled a fuse ,it was creating a fault.

SpikyBob

Sorry, been a while to reply, yes thanks I have all the kit etc. Have succeeded in accessing fuse panel now, all I need is for someone in the know to tell me which fuse to use to piggy back from to install a dash cam please.Because the last time I tried all that was happening every time I pulled a fuse ,it was creating a fault.
It’s been so long you haven’t remembered my previous reply!
Anyway - copied from my previous reply 👍:
“if it’s Golflike, then its a yellow 20 A fuse in position 40 best to piggyback off. Feeds the 12 volt sockets in console/boot, interestingly this has two vertical positions one has ignition switched 12v and the other has permanent 12v supply.
Best check with a meter if this what you’re doing as Passat may well be different!”
Good luck 👍

Last edited: