Help!

Whatmuff

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and just bought a VW Caddy van. It's a 2010 with 56000 on the clock. Right here's the issue, before I went to see it I did a HPI check and the only thing that made me wonder about the vehicle was the mileage recorded on the database, this is what came up:

07/Mar/2011 Trade Association 36,100
21/Jul/2011 Trade Association 59,800
24/Nov/2011 TradeAssociation 80,126
18/Sep/2012 BVRLA 16,500
01/Oct/2012 BVRLA 116,194
21/Jan/2013 BVRLA 119,292
21/Sep/2013 NMR 55,000

Ok, so the van was a private sale and advertised with 55,000 on the clock. When we had a look around everything semed fine and the van is in mint condition, it drives and looks like new! Which mad me think that there was an error on the data base with the mileage as it was only 3 years old. And the mot was there and it checked out. However there is no service history with the vehicle which is now making me think! I had it in VW's last week for a major service and nothing was said by them and all was well. I know the vehicle was owned by the hitachi vehicle leasing company before, is it worth ringing them to find out what the miliage was and who they sold the vehicle too to try and find out if the vehicle has been clocked? Any help would be great as its starting to bug me, and if I need to start writing letters to the guy I bought it off for compensation ect, I may as well start now!

Thanks

Dan

Whatmuff

Not looking good is it Crasher! I am going to ring the previous company up and see if they have records on the vehicle from before and go from there I think. But something just isn't right.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Dan.
VWwelcome.gif

That doesn't look good.

Can I suggest that you add your car spec to your signature as it will save users asking every time, if you know the engine code that will also be great? Oh you can't do this of a phone. http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/f26/adding-your-car-spec-5119.html

Options Sticker and Engine Codes

Whatmuff

Right, update for this thread. I contacted the vehicle leasing agency this morning to see if they had any information on the vehicle. Turns out they had a full service history and they sent it to an auction house for sale Jan this year with 119250 miles on the clock. I have it all in writing. I then call the auction house where they tell me it was sold with 119250 on the clock, however they won't tell me who to or their address! However with only two previous owners that pretty much nails it down to the man who sold it to me with 56000 on the clock!

I have taken all my info to trading standards and not only is he clocking vehicles, he is selling multiple vans with no VAT! I have to draft my letter to him, implying I would like a refund of the difference in value on the vehicle. Trading standards have said that all the evidence I have is good and I am entitled to either a refund or the difference in value, not to mention him getting prosecuted for tampering with cars!

Peso frustrating as I have just spent £1000 on split charger system, leisure battery, full major VW service, 4 new bridgestones, and full carpet and rubber lining and insulating the back up! It looks the nuts! Just so frustrated. It's definately something I wouldn't want anyone else to go through, so I will have the mileage corrected for its next sale and everything put right.

Anyone buying a second hand vehicle, do a quality HPI check, trust what it's telling you and if in doubt walk away! I was too impulsive and had to buy then!

Thanks guys, pics to follow soon of the split charge system and install.

Dan