How hot should my gearbox oil be?

Johnny P

2004 2.0 FSI with 6 speed auto box.

How hot should the oil get? I've got a Vag com program on a laptop and can monitor the oil temp whilst driving.
Thanks.

Johnny P

Thanks for that. (Long time no speak :) ) I seem to have a flow issue and the gearbox oil temp just increases slowly to the same temp as the engine coolant outlet temp, which is 105 degrees. I would have assumed that it should run cooler than that. Suspect the MAP controlled thermostat has something to do with that. Should be getting water from the radiator instead? Cheers.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Well the transmission cooler is water to fluid so it is going to pretty much match and VW do have some odd ideas, if I tried to explain the engine oil delivery and cooling system on the EA111 based 1.4 TFSI it would make your head spin with its illogical layout.

Johnny P

Well the transmission cooler is water to fluid so it is going to pretty much match and VW do have some odd ideas, if I tried to explain the engine oil delivery and cooling system on the EA111 based 1.4 TFSI it would make your head spin with its illogical layout.
There are some similarities Steve! I just have to assume that the cooler is getting most of the flow instead of the heater matrix. There must be a pressure differential causing the hotter water to flow through the cooler. Even sat at tickover the transmission oil temp just climbs right up to 96 when the coolant temp leaving the head is at 101. If I can't improve the flow I'll modify the pipework and take a tee off the bottom hose and back to the expansion pipe after the EGR valve. Thanks .