UK Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I have successfully completed over ten manufactuer retrofits to my VW Touran 5T now over the last 3 years. Remarkably though I have never been part of a UK forum for VW, only german VW ones.

So to mark my first post, this retrofit is relatively inexpensive but highly useful if you have small children like myself. In addition, the retrofit to my knowledge has not been documented anywhere on the internet and little is therefore known on how to complete. Well, today I will share the steps to a successful manufactuer retrofit.

Disclaimer - I take no responsibility for any issues arising from my instructions below. They worked for me and any retrofits are at owners risk!

PARTS NEEDED:

2 Rear Window Motors (without built in ECU) - 5Q0959802A & 5Q0959801A
2 Rear Door ECU Modules - 5Q0959595E x2 (ideally buy them from a VW Touran 5T donor which results in plug & play due to correct parameters)
1 Door Lock Rear Right Door (This variant has the child lock motor needed) - 5TA839016F
1 Door Lock Rear Left Door (This variant has the child lock motor needed) - 5TA839015F
1 Driver Door Switch Module (This one has the new buttons) - 3G0959857C
1 Rear Left Door Loom (there are a few variants here with lighting,extra speakers etc, check your spec of door first) - 5TA971693K
1 Rear Right Door Loom (there are a few variants here with lighting,extra speakers etc, check your spec of door first) - 5TA971694K
You can check your door loom needed by looking here > https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/vw/RDW/TOU/869/9/972/972034 (just ensure notes say electric child lock)

Note: The hardest part of this retrofit is finding the correct parts on ebay etc. Some are scarely found in the UK and might need to be imported from other European sellers. Ideally for the rear door ECU's choose a Touran donor from a SE Family or similar. This makes it smoother coding wise. For reference, the total above cost for me was £210 inc postage.

PROCEDURE:

A) Fitting new parts into rear doors

1. Remove the door cards at the rear by using a trim tool, torx set for two screws under the handle trim, and a 10mm spanner to pivot the catch at the bottom of the door cards. Gently pry the door card away from the metal door with the trim tool starting at the bottom making way up each side until all is released. Then lift the door card off the door and disconnect the window switch, speaker (if applicable) and door catch lever.

2. With the door cards removed at the rear, you now need to remove the grey stickers over the 3 wholes for mounting both of your rear door ECU modules. Once clicked into place, now undo the 3 torx screws holding the window motors in place. Then gently pull away off the spindle and replace with the new window motors in the parts list.

To mount the new door lock with electronic child safety function, remove the large black plastic trim in the middle of the door by prying away at the top edge and lifting off in a downward motion. This allows access to the door lock through although a tight space. Undo the 2 M6 spline bolts on the outer door holding the lock catch into place. Support the lock with your other hand from within the door to prevent it dropping out. Then remove the lock out of the gap in the door carefully. This allows access to disconnect the bowden cable to the outer door handle. Flick the plastic protector open and carefully turn the lug anti clockwise to release the cable from the lock mechanism. Withdraw the inner bowden cable by pushing the rubber gromet inwards so the cable can be fed into the door space and out of the hole alongside the lock mechanism. Reverse the steps here with the new lock units installing them securely into position, not forgetting to connect the outer door handle cable back up again.

Lastly we need to replace the current door loom with the upgraded one suited for the door modules. Carefully unclip all the wiring secured against the door with a trim tool. Now pry out the small circular black trim nearer the bottom of the inner door to access the wiring going out the door into the rubber conduit between door and body. Then with the door open pry and push from inside out the cap at the edge of the door. Push all the old loom out the door one way towards the exit point of the door. To release the connection to the car body, with water pump pliers grab the very top of the connector and pull upwards to seperate the connections.
With the old loom removed, install your new loom in the reverse order following my final picture of what the setup should look like on the door below.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

With both doors now completed with the new window motors, ECUs, door locks and looms in place, we can reassemble the door cards in the reverse order of removal. Note if any trim clips broke when removing, it is worth having some replacements below (part number 7L6868243).

Black Grey Plastic bag Automotive design Bedrock

B) Fitting the new switch and wiring at the drivers door

Remove the drivers door card in the same way as the rear doors. Remember the 2 torx screws and the 10mm pivot catch at the bottom of the door. Then pry the trim clips apart as mentioned before. This time there is the door catch cable to remove and the blue ECU connector attached to the door.

Shoe Vertebrate Hood Automotive lighting Mammal

With the door card off, now we change the switch in the door card. This can be tricky but patience is key here not to wreck your door card. Using multiple trim tools if needed, pry the entire plastic switch trim upwards gently easing / wiggling it free upwards. Once released, disconnect the wiring plug. Then using a trim tool on either side of the switch housing, pry enough to release the inner electric window switch module free. Install your new module in the reverse steps and then slide / push the entire trim back into place firmly into your door card.

Vehicle Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior Font

Vehicle Hood Luggage and bags Bag Motor vehicle

Now generally speaking this is enough for all to work once coded, however one wire is usually missing to ensure both individual child lock buttons illuminate correctly. This is the below wire circled on the diagram below. You need to make a new wire up to join these two empty pins using some 0.5mm wire and two repair connectors freely available from VW / ebay. Crimp two connectors to each end and then pin them to the right slots on the diagram following the existing wires at this location. I then wrapped the wires up in loom tape to give the OEM finish. Once completed, plug the connector back into the switch.

Light Rectangle Slope Font Line

All work is done. Reassemble the front drivers door card in reverse of the removal procedure.

C) Coding

1. Using OBDeleven or VCDS, now some coding must commence. Connect to the vehicle and make the below amendments.

09 Central Electrics > Long Coding > Byte 09 > Bit 4 > Change to "Door control unit installed in rear or no rear door" > Save
42 Driver Door > Long Coding > Byte 02 > Bit 7 > Tick "Child lock/protection" > Save
42 Driver Door > Long Coding > Byte 07 > Bit 0 > Ensure "LIN databus" is set to "Active" > Save
52 Passenger Door > Long Coding > Byte 02 > Bit 7 > Tick "Child lock/protection" > Save
52 Passenger Door > Long Coding > Byte 07 > Bit 0 > Ensure "LIN databus" is set to "Active" > Save

2. If you got the rear door modules from a donor VW Touran 5T, no further changes will be needed. If you got them from another model or brand, you may have a few issues and need to check over all the coding in the rear modules now automatically detected in VCDS / OBDeleven. For reference, spec depending both long coding values would be something like 002080200001048000001000 (as it is in my SEL). If this doesnt work for you, parameterization would be likely needed via ODIS.

D) Test

1. Test your rear electric windows. If any issues opening or closing, you can calibrate them.
2. Test your newly installed electronic child locks. Buttons in the drivers door should work and be illuminated when active.
3. Ensure your car locks correctly via key fob. Any issues would be down to the above not being correct somewhere.

Grey Car Fixture Personal luxury car Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Excellent write up, I had no idea there was the option for electronic child locks.
Have done a few oem retrofits myself in a mk6 gti - PDC, door warning lights, reverse camera, change of head and tail lights, and satnav.
For my Passat B8, I would like to retrofit the OEM 360 degree camera and high beam assist, but both look to be quite a headache and parts are expensive.

Post up you other retrofits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your kind words.
I have retrofitted DLA (Dynamic Light Assist) to my Touran. This is the better version of high beam assist. The LED headlights automatically divert light away from oncoming traffic instead of turning off the main beam. Pretty cool!
To do this, even on Passat, you need the A5 driver assistance camera. If you have premium LED headlights also, DLA is possible. Without LED headlights, high beam assist is easy enough with the A5 camera retrofit and new windscreen.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looked at that too, my passat has LED, but I've not managed to find out if they are Premium LED or not, I'm guessing if they did not advertise the fact, they are likely just the standard LED.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked at that too, my passat has LED, but I've not managed to find out if they are Premium LED or not, I'm guessing if they did not advertise the fact, they are likely just the standard LED.
Easiest way to identify premium is if when you turn ignition on in dark. If you see your lights do a dance (move up and side to side) you've got premium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts