I’d problem

Allstrangetome

Hi guys I’ve come across an old splittie current owner says it’s 63 or 64 it’s plates and v5 have been lost. The chassis number is unreadable And the only info is a tag above drivers head trouble is the chassis number on this only has 7 digits and I’m unable to get any information on this and was hoping someone on here could help. Question is can I register it any help greatly appreciated

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Up until 64 the VIN was only 7 digits, message it to me in a private conversation, it should be on a riveted ally plate and stamped into the engine bay sheet metal, without a VIN you will have to talk to the DVLA who are notoriously unhelpful. I have a 1979 copy of the >67 Type 2 microfiche that I can view at work.

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The number you sent me means approx December 63 maybe Jan 64 production (so a 64 model anyway), just a few weeks older than I am. If you visit https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/volkswagen-zertifikate.html you can get as much data as could ever be obtained and it is worthwhile going for the top package as it is great to have with the vehicle. It MAY be possible to obtain the vehicles original plate with this info or at least an age related plate.

Allstrangetome

Up until 64 the VIN was only 7 digits, message it to me in a private conversation, it should be on a riveted ally plate and stamped into the engine bay sheet metal, without a VIN you will have to talk to the DVLA who are notoriously unhelpful. I have a 1979 copy of the >67 Type 2 microfiche that I can view at work.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I would try to ascertain with the DVLA what the reg is and if the vehicle is registered as stolen. I know of people who have bought a wreck, spent a fortune on it and then lost everything when it was discovered the vehicle was stolen years ago.

Allstrangetome

Typical DVLA totally unhelpful they sent me a form to request information but as I don’t fit the criteria for any of the groups allowed to request such as motor dealerships or private car parks they won’t release any information

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
To help you make a decision about sinking money into this you need to guesstimate how much it is going to cost to restore it, I assume that is the idea? I think it would be a good idea to invest in the full VW Germany info pack on this van but it depends on its condition, is it salvageable? The supply of parts, especially panels, for the pre 67 Type 2 is astonishing, it would not be too difficult to build a brand new one from scratch BUT what it’s full type number is can heavily affect its value, a six digit in two groups of three which would start 21? ???. You have to bear in mind here you are into the mega buck area of classic car restoration, not a cheap tart up. Do you have some pictures?

Allstrangetome

It clearly states on the tag type 23 whatever that means the van has new panels fitted practically everywhere new floor, riggers Jacking points and has been sat in primer for the last 7 years in storage the one thing missing is the glass. It’s very tempting but like you said I’d need confirmation that all’s well regarding possible theft which I don’t suspect but a simple confirmation from DVLA would put my mind at rest