Identification of my Decklid

Callookbeetlelondon

s-l1600 (33).jpg

I need to get a new decklid for my 66 Beetle as it has a lot of corrosion on the inside near the lock and the lip that holds the rubber seal.I am trying to Identify what year the Decklid is.I thought it was a 68 but I'm thinking it may be a 67?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I can barely see the picture but it looks like a 67 to me so lots of other parts on the car will be one year only oddities such as the door handles. I have always had a thing about the 67 1500 that is me sticking out of the sunroof of one we had just tidied up in 1982 according to the DVLA data base this is blue now.

Callookbeetlelondon

Re Decklid

I can barely see the picture but it looks like a 67 to me so lots of other parts on the car will be one year only oddities such as the door handles. I have always had a thing about the 67 1500 that is me sticking out of the sunroof of one we had just tidied up in 1982 according to the DVLA data base this is blue now.

If you click the picture it comes up Bigger.I think it's a 67 too but the car is 66 it has the push button door handles as well but strangely has a 68 rear apron.Nice pic đź‘Ť

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
With originality not being an issue (or even possible with it being shaved) I would get a 68 on lid to match the rear valence. Don't throw that lid though, even rotten a 67 lid is worth money.

Callookbeetlelondon

With originality not being an issue (or even possible with it being shaved) I would get a 68 on lid to match the rear valence. Don't throw that lid though, even rotten a 67 lid is worth money.
I think I may have to opt for the Vented Type as I think having a 1600 Engine the 67 Lid doesn't allow for any extra Airflow.I noticed when I was driving it last summer that the Oil Temp went quite high which could be a restricted Airflow issue

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Well I was hoping whoever did that work had fitted inner wing louvers and a remote mounted oil cooler. If not it is probably one of the silliest things I have ever seen done to a Beetle.

Callookbeetlelondon

Well I was hoping whoever did that work had fitted inner wing louvers and a remote mounted oil cooler. If not it is probably one of the silliest things I have ever seen done to a Beetle.
That picture was taken by the seller before the Vent below the window was fitted.I have received my new 68 Decklid which looks shorter than the 67.Will this still fit?
I haven't tried it on the car yet.I have tried to upload picture of my rear Apron but it keeps failing