Immobilizer Active! No Lights On Dash. Won't Crank

pz_szczecin

Hi! My name is Peter and I am new owner of 2013 Passat B7 2.0 TDI Bluemotion. Bought this car slightly damaged. Had to replace dashboard. When car was dismantled could start it and move it. When fitted in dashboard first time all lights on the dash illuminated as they supposed to but I didn't start the engine. My mechanic turned up to the garage later on and strated the engine which shut off after a second. Since then when unlock the car mileage and open door icon shows up on the dash,but nothing else. When flash high beam blue icon appears as well but I thinh this is the only one. When put a key in yellow steering wheel light come on for a second and IMMOBLIZER ACTIVE shows on dash. Can't put a car in ignition mode to read faults. Engine does not crank. Can lock and unlock the car. Don't know why dash sometimes flickers that message about immobilzer. When short circuit ignition socet all icons appear on dash but car only starts for a second and shuts off straight away. I have only one key. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for reading

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Peter.
VWwelcome.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by ignition mode? You don't need the engine running to do tests and an AutoScan with VAG-COM\VCDS. If you have replaced the complete dash recheck all connections. When immobilizer is active it will run for a second or two.

pz_szczecin

I meant when you push a key in to iluminate all icons on dash. Just before you push further to start the engine. Thing is absolutely nothing is happening. Press the clutch pedal but it doesnt make nay difference. I know engine doesnt need to run to do diagnostic. Fault reader fires up when connected to OBD but when trying to scan it it says No Connection,Make Sure The Ignition Is On

pz_szczecin

An update! Managed to read a code! It is P01176 No Communication With The Key. I dont know if key lost its programming or what?

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
P01176 there is no P.

VAG Error Code: 01176

Fault Location:
Key - Signal too Low/No Signal/Communication

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Immobilizer:
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty.
Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty.
Immobilizer Transponder in Key faulty or incorrect Transponder in Key.
Remote Control:
Remote Control Battery low.
Remote Control faulty or incorrect Remote Control used.

Possible Solutions:
Immobilizer:
Check/Replace Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil.
Check Key Immobilizer Transponder Status.
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Renew Immobilizer Key Matching.
Check/Replace Key.
Remote Control:
Check/Replace Remote Control Battery.
Check/Replace Remote Control.

Special Notes:
If found on a New Beetle, can be caused by the Insulation Displacement Crimp (IDC) terminals that are used for the reader coil at T32a/2 and T32a/17 (green connector) that result in poor contact. This can degrade the signal from the key.
This Fault Code can be stored in due to Remote Control or Immobilizer Problems. On most Models these systems are separate and should therefore also be diagnosed separately.
In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experiencing an Immobilizer related Problem! On most models using conventional keys, the Engine will still start but cut out after 1-3 Seconds if an Immobilizer related Problem is the cause. On models using Kessy Systems and Electronic Keys, most systems in the car won't power up at all if an Immobilizer related Problem is the cause. If you are NOT experiencing this behaviour (e.g. Instrument Cluster powers up, and engine cranks but doesn't fire at all or engine won't crank) this is likely NOT Immobilizer related.
When found in Audi A3 (8L), Audi A4 (8D), Audi A6 (4B) or Audi A8 (4D), check Wiring from Immobilizer Control Module to Immobilizer Reader Coil. A known issue would be the Length of the Wiring, an optimized Replacement Part may be available (8D0-972-275).
May be stored in Combination with 17978/P1570/005488 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer in Engine Control Module (ECM).

As taken from my EOBD II Fault Codes Software

pz_szczecin

Thank you Keith! great info! When I short circuit two pins in ignition socket plug and put a key in all info on dash illuminates and car starts but cut off straight away. I use the same key I used to start it before removing a dashboard and it was fine. Looks like I somehow managed to damage either a plug or wire inside

pz_szczecin

I thought ignition socket could be faulty so ordered a second hand one. Fitted in,inserted a key and BOOOOOOM ! Steering wheel lock released and dash illuminated. Next push and engine started straight away!

Jcp213

I thought ignition socket could be faulty so ordered a second hand one. Fitted in,inserted a key and BOOOOOOM ! Steering wheel lock released and dash illuminated. Next push and engine started straight away!
I’m having the exact same problem with my VW CC. Can you explain exactly what you did to fix? I need to troubleshoot this asap

clifford

i have same problem b7 passat if i get new ignition switch ca i use my old key with it or will it need coded thanks

clifford

switch fitted still intermittent fault / the car starts but if you drive it a short distance or leave it switched on for a few minites
it won't crank over or start have to wait half an hour or so until it will crank over to start ,will not start on tow or jump leads etc
has new starter new clutch master cylinder new start switch new battery anyone any ideas or have had same problem could it be temperature switch ??????

clifford

switch fitted still intermittent fault / the car starts but if you drive it a short distance or leave it switched on for a few minites
it won't crank over or start have to wait half an hour or so until it will crank over to start ,will not start on tow or jump leads etc
has new starter new clutch master cylinder new start switch new battery anyone any ideas or have had same problem could it be temperature switch ??????