Info. 1.8 8 Valve EX engine (mk2 Scirocco)

Hyde

I've Been wondering if anyone knows of any sites or places that may have high lift Cams for the 8 valve 1.8 EX carburettor engine?
thanks.

Hyde

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The Kent GS2H is perfect but the idle a little rough. Combine it with a Weber carb conversion and a set of GTI pistons and you will have more BHP than the GTI. I am just finishing an 84 GTX 2 litre conversion/rebuild

Hyde

Yes thank you i already know, you've showed me that build before. Already have a weber ready and I've fitted new piston rings and rebuilt the engine, I won't be taking it apart to fit the GTI pistons. Do you know how much the cams are?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is a shame I did not catch your before you did the rings. The most dramatic simple change you can make to the GU & EX is to fit the GTI 10.5:1 compression pistons which you can get off the shelf for very reasonable money. The next huge step is to increase the inlet valve size to GTI spec, doing this I have seen these engines produce 115BHP when using a Weber conversion which would be sort of embarrassing for the K-Jet injection system if it had feelings. After that the exhaust valves can go to 35mm which makes an incredible difference BUT doing a double big valve EA871 head is extremely expensive and few people know how to do it. If the block is out, reboring to 1871cc is straightforward and if you are feeling brave, I can now do the biggest capacity EZ, GU DX, PB, EX, EV etc conversion again which, has not been possible for a while, using special pistons and rods I have had made giving a completely reliable 2008cc inside the original block; so a 1595cc EZ can go to 2008cc with some machining and I think I am probably safe in saying I am the only person in the world who can do this “off the shelf”. Another big gain is to bin the stupid round seal spring clamp exhaust manifold and use an early 6 bolt GTI manifold and downpipe BUT both are becoming scarce avoid tubular manifolds at all costs they are a disaster. It is also possible to use the Golf 2&3 8v GTI exhaust manifold using a custom downpipe from a friend of mine in the USA and this will go straight into a Jetex 2” or 2.5” system. I would say the ultimate would be a 2008cc with 40x35 valves using the Weber carb conversion and I have seen that give 140BHP and huge torque. You can’t get a decent carb inlet manifold and in a Golf 1 right hand drive setup, fitting twin Weber’s is close to being impossible due to the brake cross linkage, scrambling for every milliner of room using the thinnest possible air cleaner you can just get a millimetre or three clearance after grinding down the pedal elbow bracket.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/1983-07/1992, Model: Scirocco, Engine Code: EX, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.8 Ltr, 4 Cyls
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 08/1983-07/1993, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: EX, 66Kw, 90PS, 1.8 Ltr, 4 Cyls

Hyde

Thanks. I wasn't too bothered about the pistons, I didn't really want to spend too much on the build. Realistically after I'm finished it should be running 125bhp anyway so I'm Happy with that. When I'm ready to squeeze more in I won't bother tinkering I'll just swap it for the 1.8T
I was thinking of boreing the block out but to be honest the walls looked thin to begin with. Also it didn't need doing so i just honed them.
As for the head I'm currently porting the head and will give it a quick skim on the day I put it back on the block.
As for the exhaust manifold I'll also be making my own out of 316 stainless pipe. So I'll be saving costs there as well.

What do you mean the only person in the world who can do this off the shelf?
I'm not using a 1.6 EZ
I'm using a 1.8 EX

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The EX is almost identical to the EZ apart from the longer stroke and shorter pistons. There is plenty of wall thickness to support a 2mm over bore. 2 litre conversions on the EA827 220mm non bubble block have been popular for decades as with a little grinder work around the oil pump mount and some other tweaks, you could build one using the Audi 3A pistons and crank and later the Golf 3 2 litre crank. Unfortunately the 3A was only offered for 2 years and about 10 years ago they became impossible to buy after Nüral stopped making them. I have worked out a way of using another piston by having a custom connecting rod made, the Scirocco in the video is the first one and I have had enough rods made to build 3 more AND a 2510cc conversion on the 5 cylinder Audi block. As far as I know, nobody else offers this conversion. It actually came about as a result of a piston manufacturers catalog error which inspired me.

Hyde

Well to be completely honest My block did look thin, 1mm off each side isn't much I know but not like other blocks I've bored for people. Not that it matters anyway I'm not looking to spend and spend on the car. I haven't looked into the engine much but first thoughts that I'm having is if you bore a 1.6 out to 2.0 wouldn't you have to cross bore the block? Even if not it sounds like too much work to bore out the block, spend a few hundred on high lift cams and new pistons etc. I think it would make more sense to swap it for the 1.8T.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
A 2008 is built by increasing the bore to 83mm and the stroke to 92.8mm, my customers brief for the Scirocco was to look as standard as possible, he used the OEM+ expression which rather grates on me.