UK Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a Skoda Fabia vRS, it uses the twincharged 1.4 litre TSI engine that is I believe also used in some variant of the VW Golf. From Googling around I get the impression that this engine (certainly in the vRS) is prone to failure necessitating replacement. Is this also true of the VW Golf variant or is it some characteristic of the Skoda Fabia vRS?

·
Registered
18,929 Posts
G

·
Yes the twin charged TSI unit does have issues, the change over valve fails but more importantly the timing chains can stretch, even on the lesser TSI engines resulting in engine failures
Signs to look for are rattling noises, uneven running, EML on dash but they can fail suddenly

Whilst this is a cracking engine, we only see the bad ones so there should be plenty of good ones out there

Remember Google is a deadly place, you can find anything if you type it in but you never hear all the good stories only the bad, same with anything

I had a big ruck with a ustomer once because he kept quoting "Google says this, Google says that"! drives me mad, the amount of people that I speak to that say "I tried it because on Google......" or "on the forum someone had the same issue", or "its a common fault as its on the internet"

How many times does a fault need to appear on the internet to become common and is it really the same fault?

While the internet is a great source of information, it is just that, INFORMATION, it is not conclusive evidence or indeed ever a diagnosis

The VW TSI engine is fantastic, more so in the 160 BHP twin charge guise and I would have one but only with a warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Keithuk - my query really relates to the engine in a car that I am thinking of buying rather than any car I currently drive.

@ Splitty13 - Many thanks for your feedback, I hadn't heard about timing change problems, the main source of concern appears to relate to VERY high oil consumption. I take your point and agree wholeheartedly about Google, t'Internet and forums. However, asking for information from a car salesmen is an even less reliable way of learning about potential problems ;) I find it "strange" that Kia & Hyundai seem to have sufficient confidence in the reliability and longevity of their cars to offer five and seven year warranties respectively while Skoda only offer three years.

G

·
@ Keithuk - my query really relates to the engine in a car that I am thinking of buying rather than any car I currently drive.

@ Splitty13 - Many thanks for your feedback, I hadn't heard about timing change problems, the main source of concern appears to relate to VERY high oil consumption. I take your point and agree wholeheartedly about Google, t'Internet and forums. However, asking for information from a car salesmen is an even less reliable way of learning about potential problems ;) I find it "strange" that Kia & Hyundai seem to have sufficient confidence in the reliability and longevity of their cars to offer five and seven year warranties respectively while Skoda only offer three years.
The high oil consumption seems to just be how the engine is, we always get people in for oil for these but never seems to be any issue, it is a high performance engine, only a 1.4 with a turbo and charger so it is bound to use more than normal

As long as you check the oil and dont let it run low you should be OK

As for the 5, 7 and even Vauxhalls lifetime warranty, it is far from the confidence that they have in the cars that puts these warranties on the car it is the manufacturers way of keeping more business in the brand. Any car dealers biggest customer is warranty, they get paid for all warranty work by the manufacturer and it is worths hundreds of thousands every year to each dealer so by giving out longer warranty periods the dealers and brands retain customer and therefore make more money. It has little or nothing to do with anything else
It is a great idea for the trade and the customers love it, therefore love the brand and therefore spend more money there and go back for longer.

Its the bigger picture that not everyone sees, same as the dealers looking out, its easy to become blinkered

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<snip>
Any car dealer's biggest customer is warranty, they get paid for all warranty work by the manufacturer and it is worth hundreds of thousands every year . . .
<snip>
What a depressing picture you paint :( Having said that, I can see that offering longer warranties will reduce the likelihood of people taking their car to a local non-franchised mechanic for service.

I would have to say that talking to friends and neighbours, I do get the impression that Japanese / Korean cars appear to suffer fewer problems that European cars - French cars (Renault, Citroen and Peugeot) appear to be VERY unreliable at the moment - your mileage may vary ;)

G

·
What a depressing picture you paint :( Having said that, I can see that offering longer warranties will reduce the likelihood of people taking their car to a local non-franchised mechanic for service.

I would have to say that talking to friends and neighbours, I do get the impression that Japanese / Korean cars appear to suffer fewer problems that European cars - French cars (Renault, Citroen and Peugeot) appear to be VERY unreliable at the moment - your mileage may vary ;)
Sorry, been in the motor trade a long time and know how they work, its all about customer retention regardless of who's paying

·
Registered
6 Posts
I previously owned a 1.4TSI Fabia VRS, underneath its a Polo GTI and both cars have their quirks but compared to the number sold there's not really that many total failure stories. One thing that the dealer warned me of when I took delivery of mine was that oil consumption in these is quite high, mine went through about 1ltr of oil every 2000 or so miles (which according to my local dealer is quite low for that engine). I made a habit of checking the engine oil every time I filled up with fuel. It would go months without moving then all of a sudden it would need a considerable top up.

Also, all of the VAG twin charged engines can be very sensitive about what fuel you put in them, the 1.4 TSI especially. There's many threads on every motoring form about what fuel type is best and which ones give real returns but for my old VRS it wanted Shell vPower. I had tried all the supermarket super-unleaded fuels and it would misfire under hard acceleration. Using 95 RON caused the same issue and the problem stopped within 100 miles of making the change to vPower. I stuck with it and didn't have single issue afterwards.

To summarise, they are fantastic engines but they are a little highly strung. So long as you put decent fuel and decent oil in one and don't give it full beans when its cold you shouldn't have a problem. The extra care they need is well worth the fun they provide!

G

·
Of course better fuel and oil will help, thats quite obvious and personally I wouldnt use any old rubbish nor supermarket fuel

However VW are well aware of a number of serious issues with the 1.4TSI engines although the later ones are a little better the newest is still new and may be too early to tell just yet

Do not try to mask any issues, get it checked if in any doubt as the worst case is a new engine and we did a few of these

------------------------------------------------------
Warranty work

Depressing? why? its every dealers biggest customer and by far brings in more profit than all of its paying customers put together so by offering longer warranties they get more return, more work and more money

Common business sense and hopefully the customers might actually spend some money there too boosting profits further

Dealerships are improving all the time and manufacturers are pushing hard to get them where they need to be - something you wont get at an independant, they will always either be good or not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.