Jetta Mk2 GTI. 1989. Fuel pump appears dead.

Clive Roberts

Hi,

Several experts have failed to get a fuel supply to the engine of my old Jetta - and I'm no expert(!) After two years' worth of failure to get the bottom of the problem, the car has now sat forlornly in my drive for 18 months.

But it seems such a shame to sell my Jetta when there must be a solution to the repeated failures of both after-market and refurbished original fuel pumps. Several people here have offered to buy it, as they have the know-how and yards to strip it down and make a beauty of it. But summer is here, so I'd like to restart from square one for myself. Such a shame to admit defeat.

I understand it is possible to convert the two-pump fuel system, (tank riser and pressure), to a single pump system. This may well clear out any lurking residual problems with any of the pumps and petrol leads. Also, some new electrical loom may eliminate that problem.

If it's possible to convert to one fuel pump, and if anyone has information about such a conversion, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Clive.

Clive Roberts

Well Crasher, if it were the engine to be fixed ... .

The engine is fine, but no engine in the world can run until fuel of some form arrives - in this case, petrol by means of a pipe, electricity, and pumps which do not keep failing.

So my question is, can I convert to one fuel pump?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The system is very simple, a relay triggered by the ECU runs both pumps from a junction under the back seat. You could convert, as I have just done on a customers project car, to a Golf 3 fuel tank with its internal pressure pump and only a fuel filter on its own under the car but that would also mean fitting the fuel tank vapour recovery system. Is your hazard warning light switch on the dash or on the steering cowling?

Clive Roberts

The system is very simple, a relay triggered by the ECU runs both pumps from a junction under the back seat. You could convert, as I have just done on a customers project car, to a Golf 3 fuel tank with its internal pressure pump and only a fuel filter on its own under the car but that would also mean fitting the fuel tank vapour recovery system. Is your hazard warning light switch on the dash or on the steering cowling?

It's on the steering cowling.

(The conversion seems interesting).

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The hazard switch is an easy way to see which electrical system it has and it shows you have the ECS 3 fuse box shared with the Golf 3 and that yours is a type 1G rather than the earlier type 19. The Golf 3 tank fits straight in and is a couple of gallons larger, which is why I have fitted it to the 3L VR6 turbo I am building. You would want the tank, straps, lines and vapour tank (which bolts directly into a spot under the air filter) and to get the tank from a late model that used a 3 Bar pump as opposed to 4 Bar which would cause you over fuelling problems. The “catch”, sorry in joke, with the vapour tank system is how to command the valve. There are established factory Digifant Golf 2 methods not involving the ECU but my mind is wondering off into finding a late 8v Golf 3 GTI and not only fitting the tank, but the engine, management, cat etc and making it cleaner. That’s just me though, I can’t stop modifying....

Clive Roberts

Thanks Crasher. That is the level of detail that I need to decide whether to go ahead. Know before you go!

I have to bear in mind that I ain't on the same planet as you and many members of this forum when it comes to stripping and replacing a car's vitals. But I have to see this Jetta on the road again, and it's worth another try.

But I won't be replacing the engine etc. That would be madness for me.

Sam&Anne

Never doubted it for a moment (!)

I wish I could find such a rather odd and slightly bonkers person around here to spend a few days on my poor old Jetta.

I am from Lisburn and at 69 I am also odd, bonkers and heavily medicated, come to think of it most over 60's with an auto engineering background here are exactly the same.
The same galaxy as Crasher? NO is the short answer.

Clive Roberts

I am from Lisburn and at 69 I am also odd, bonkers and heavily medicated, come to think of it most over 60's with an auto engineering background here are exactly the same.
The same galaxy as Crasher? NO is the short answer.

Sam,

Well, we're the same age, and my main medication is a stiff whisky (nowadays, of course, also a whiskey) and cigar.

I am no auto engineer, but worked with engineers all of my working life. We are near neighbours, it seems. Well, anytime you and Anne fancy a cup of tea, do drop in. But beware - I'll try to pick your brains about where to start with my Jetta.

But you can also see my three motorbikes - and for a real treat, I'll even let you see my new shed!

Sam&Anne

Sam,

Well, we're the same age, and my main medication is a stiff whisky (nowadays, of course, also a whiskey) and cigar.

I am no auto engineer, but worked with engineers all of my working life. We are near neighbours, it seems. Well, anytime you and Anne fancy a cup of tea, do drop in. But beware - I'll try to pick your brains about where to start with my Jetta.

But you can also see my three motorbikes - and for a real treat, I'll even let you see my new shed!

Bikes of all makes and capacities since 1964.
PM me Clive and we will have a chat.
Sam.