K03-k04?

Looneyman 74

Hi I'm thinking of changing my turbo on my mk4 golf gti 1.8, to a k04 or what recommendations do people have for a turbo ? What's needed to do this I have bam injectors & big air tec intercooler & 300mm brakes on already what else is needed ? Thanks for your response

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I have done a few of these on the PQ34 platform using the APR K04 system but it is expensive and now special order. I was contemplating doing it to my Octavia VRS (the AUQ engine is identical to the AUM) but even with a stage 2 map and sports cat it is virtually unmanageable and the clutch could not cope so I have converted it to a six speed 02M box as used in the Leon Cupra and Golf 4 25th Anniversary but I still can't get the wheels to stop spinning in 3rd when its wet.

Looneyman 74

Bit heavy footed are you crasher lol, I'd be buggerd then I'm heavy footed in every gear lol, I was thinking of the 6speed box, but what else is needed for the conversion, thanks for any help

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is a massive job, different subframe, clutch/flywheel, all the hydraulics, shift cables, power steering piping, drive shafts, ECU recoding (dead easy), left gearbox mount even the gear knob if you want it right. The best way would is to buy a scrap car such as a Leon Cupra so at least you can test the box, I bought what I judged was a good used unit from a Bora 1.8T and it was shagged... I spent £2k on parts rebuilding it and bought everything else new; I probaly spent £4k in parts alone.