Leaking Water in the Boot, FOUND it what next?

ibyb

I've discovered a damp patch on the the cover/divider for the spare wheel.

I took it out and discovered a rusting jack and condensation all around the tyre, there was a puddle at the bottom beneath the space saver. I drained the water with the drainers in built in the car.

I had to remove the plastic boot cover that connect at the bottom upto half way where the lights are.

Behind this, there's several oval cut out (purpose I've no idea) and it's running through the closest one to the middle on the left hand side, I've taken a picture for refrence

Does anyone know where it's coming in from and how to stop it?

Attachments

• image-2387749620.jpg
    image-2387749620.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 10,219
  • image-4126228706.jpg
    image-4126228706.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 3,912

joshches

Hi I had this in my polo. Was the washer jet tubing. Check it's all connected right and with you in the boot get GF/wife to try out the rear washers.

Dead simple to fix but hard to get in there I found.

Other than that check the inside of the rear window glass if there's steaks could have a leaky seal. Then get a baseball bat smash it and tell the insurance it was kids. New seal new window ��.

(I don't condone this kind of action. Only jesting)

hope this helps somewhat.

ibyb

Update: when I close the boot lid and spray water on the left hand side of the boot and open it after 5 minutes it's got a fresh puddle.

ibyb

Do you think the tubing has a hole in there somewhere or could it be something else?

joshches

Either could be possible. Plastic tubing does get brittle over time, especially when using fancy anti freeze washer fluid. Best bet is to take the boot board off, I've never done this but normally pretty simple, then get someone to activate the rear washer jet and look for any leaks. Untill then don't use your rear washers.

Another thing you could try is to test the seals. Get a hose and slowly (so to not fill the car with water if seal are broken) flash water over boot shut with the boot CLOSED. Then check after 5 mins. If no leaks shut boot gain and flash water over rear window seal. Check again. That's the only other place water could be getting in.

Again hope this this helps. Josh

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The Golf 5 has a habit of splitting the washer jet tube as Josh says and you will see water up around the right rear light unit. The tube splits inside the conduit from the roof to the tailgate on the drivers side. Also the rear wiper motors leak and this runs into the boot after it has rusted the boot catch and lock system.

ibyb

I tried accessing the leak and it's proving to be super difficult.

The leaks located on the left hand side not the right. How do I access it? Do I need to remove the tail light? Do I need to remove the bumper?

ibyb

Also crasher, I've noticed your experience in VW if you have a look at the pics why is there like sealant marks on the panel adjourning the back to the floor boot. Is that normal and something VW would do ? Or has it been repaired ?

ibyb

Will this result in water puddle in the rear passenger seat and footwell?

ibyb

Conclusion to the leaking water in the boot, the seal around the boot badge had failed and was depositing water from the washer jet when ever it was in use. I'm guessing it would leak rain water in there too. Too the panels off, two sneakey screws where the pull down handle slots are.

Checked all the piping/tubing they all looked fine.

I spotted there was rust/corrosion on the black torque screws to keep the badge in place, closed it sprayed the washer jet, lifted the boot lid and finally saw it leaking in! The SOB has been driving me mad for months. Cleaned it all up, put some silicone sealant around the lip and put it back together. Let's hope it's the end to a wet boot and footwell.

ibyb

Pictures attached

Attachments

• image-3406978399.jpg
    image-3406978399.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 771
  • image-2268643253.jpg
    image-2268643253.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 701

Hmullie

Rust spot

Update: when I close the boot lid and spray water on the left hand side of the boot and open it after 5 minutes it's got a fresh puddle.
Check under your boot seal i have a small spot where there is a leak and incidently water accumulated in the spare wheel hub same as yours, found that a small rust spot has started due to leaking boot seal.

phil r

Does anyone know where it's coming in from and how to stop it?
i have 2017 tiguan water entering near side seems to be coming from lowdown by bumper inner chassis skin ive remove light cluster and its dry
has anyone had this issue and solved it.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Behind the rear bumper on each side there is a cabin air exhaust vent, these are terrible fit even in the revised version 7N0 819 465 F @ £11.21 so we put a none setting butyl rubber adhesive around the foam seal.

phil r

Thanks for reply just checked spare well this morning after heavy over night rain water seepage below bumper internally nearside into well
it must be rain as car not driven for a day , removed light cluster internal access cover and its totally dry it must be entering inner skin of bodywork? its got me baffled.
when i originally discovered leak took car back to Johnsons vw who i bought from 9mths ago hoping that it was covered by 2yr peace of mind warranty after they inspected car diagnosed possible seal leak light cluster or vent seals they are not covered under warranty and quoted £450.00
to rectify problem i declined phoned vw direct and got same response.
Please make other forum members aware of vw warranty cover and repairs they are very debatable
vw tiguan 2017

phil r

Thanks for info does the bumper have to be removed to gain access to vents?? surely seals should last longer car has only done 14000miles since new vw not interested in warranty where seals are concerned wear and tear is there conclusion

Touranasaurus

On my Touran, which is very similar, yes the bumper had to be removed. The vent seals are hardly seals they are made of foam, so liquids will flow through them. I had a water leak, initially I used silicone sealer around the vents - no improvement, bought new vents (£40 each) and used a much more thorough silicone application - no improvement. In my case the problem was the rear hatch rubber seal the joint should be at the six oclock position and it was at the 10 oclock position. This let water in high up but it ran down exiting very low down thus making it very hard to trck down.