Life expectancy on uprated halogen headlamp bulbs

dj_ek

Hello all,

As per this thread, I'm halfway through changing the woeful standard halogen bulbs in my Touran 5T with uprated ones. I've gone for Osram Nighbreaker Laser Next Generation ones (LINK)

I'm hoping they'll be OK for a couple of years if I'm lucky as halogen technology has improved at this end of the market over the years, but I am wondering how long I can actually expect them to last - the polava I'm having with changing the bulbs means I'll be sufficiently scared of one popping so as to refrain from using the auto headlamp function from now on!

3 questions:

1) What uprated bulbs have you used
2) Were you happy with their performance
3) How long have they lasted?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Phillips +150% bulbs which are legal and have been in there so long they have changed the name, must be four years or more. Then again I do about 4K miles a year, always at work...

Sam&Anne

1) Fitted Phillips +130
2) There has been a noticeable difference but not dramatic, raised the levels slightly which can easily be adjusted if necessary.
3) Fitted in Dec 2016, which surprised me even with lower than average mileage. They have lasted well.
If I had to change anytime there are undoubtedly more options now but I wouldn't use originals again.

Edit
I have never used auto headlamp "function ".

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
When I fitted new headlights (the originals were scruffy) I changed from 130's to 150's and the overall difference was dramatic, I dropped my plan to relay the dipped beams. They are so good I felt conscious I was dazzling people so around town I wind them down. Anyway, why the sad face?.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I can't help it, I live to work... if I can't work I am lost. A few years ago I had a back opp and had to barely move for six weeks, I nearly went mad!

Touranasaurus

I've got Osram Cool Blue Intense H15s and Phillips X-Treme +130% H7s fitted in 2015, not needed to replace them yet, thats about 50k miles, I have the DRLs on all the time, so I reckon thats pretty good.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
That was after and now my back is bad again, another prolapsed disc... and don't discount the two bedrooms and hall/stairs/landing I am just about done with.

Gazwould

The old boy has recently been taking CBD oil for his various ailments inc , hip , knee , two bulging discs .

Gazwould

Frack me ( popular saying in remake of Battle Star Gallactica series ) if he touched vodka it would be worth filming , just on one glass of 10.5% white wine his eyes go all small and squinty , never seen anything like it , he now has half as much and tops up with lemonade , what a lightweight , lol .

dj_ek

Back to topic - it seems people are having good experiences of Philips updated bulbs which is good: I just bought their latest offerings on a cyber Monday deal from powerbulbs for my A2, as that takes H7s on the dipped beams, I ordered two sets for when the night breakers in the Touran’s dipped beams blow too!

LINK