Lights work, starter doesn’t

BlueCaddy

Hi,
I’m driving a 2008 irish reg Caddy 1.9 TDI, bought 10 months ago.
Today while driving I noticed the battery light was on so made mental note to check/ change it. A little later ABS and ERC lights came on, I was still not halfway home. 10km from home the handbrake light came on accompanied by beeping sounds.
Speakers stopped working as did wipers but light and indicators and break lights ok.
When starting, dash lights come on but starter not working at all.
Disconnected the battery but obviously doesn’t make a difference.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The battery light is actually the alternator charging light so the alternator is not working and your battery went flat. You will need to recharge the battery (or replace it as modern ones going very flat can suffer damage) and find out why the alternator is not working, probably replacing it. All the other beeps and lights are because modern CAN BUS computer controlled cars get vey upset by low voltages.

BlueCaddy

The battery light is actually the alternator charging light so the alternator is not working and your battery went flat. You will need to recharge the battery (or replace it as modern ones going very flat can suffer damage) and find out why the alternator is not working, probably replacing it. All the other beeps and lights are because modern CAN BUS computer controlled cars get vey upset by low voltages.
Thanks a million! I do though have the impression my turbo is gone after replacing the alternator.